Old 05-11-2021, 09:07 AM   #1
Yanick
Human being with feelings

Default v6.29rc4 - May 11 2021

v6.29rc4 - May 11 2021
  • * Includes feature branch: custom metadata columns in Media Explorer
  • * Includes feature branch: razor envelope editing
  • * Includes feature branch: ReaSurroundPan
  • + JSFX: effects may now request samplerate for opened media using file_riff(fh,nch='rqsr',srate=desired_samplerate);
  • + Super8: allow drag-drop of samples to channels
  • # ReaSurroundPan: clear automation touch/latch on mouse up [p=2442627]
  • # ReaSurroundPan: minor control positioning tweaks
This thread is for pre-release features discussion. Use the Feature Requests forum for other requests.

Changelog - Pre-Releases

Generated by X-Raym's REAPER ChangeLog to BBCode
Yanick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 01:16 PM   #2
AZpercussion

Default # ReaSurroundPan: clear automation touch/latch on mouse up

Great! Thanks!!! Now it works properly
AZpercussion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 01:45 PM   #3
BenK-msx

Nice. Any kind of undo capability in super8 would be super..

This could also allow momentary expansion double & halve lengths without losing the original content, eg.
If halve to add a percussive element then double again keeping the content as it was before you halved.. if ya follow..
Old 05-11-2021, 05:36 PM   #4
akademie

Quote:
v6.29rc4 - May 11 2021
  • + Super8: allow drag-drop of samples to channels
Nice addition, thanks devs.

In fact all (and any) updates to "Super8" are highly welcome
akademie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 08:14 PM   #5
ferropop

Always trim contents behind razor edits seems to be broken for me.

Anyone else?
ferropop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 08:46 PM   #6
Mercado_Negro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferropop View Post

Anyone else?
Yes, it is broken here.
Old 05-11-2021, 09:03 PM   #7
ferropop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercado_Negro View Post
Yes, it is broken here.
I just littered a project with overlapping items as a result, and the recent inability to automatically view overlapping items in lanes means I have no clue where this has happened lol. Realized it was happening when MIDI notes were triggering in an "empty" item, aka underneath it there was another item.
Old 05-12-2021, 03:52 AM   #8
xpander

Quote:
Confirmed. It seems this broke already in reaper628+dev0504.

Quote:
the recent inability to automatically view overlapping items in lanes means I have no clue where this has happened lol.
Option to show overlapping media items in lanes (when room) is still there in Options menu and it works here. Or did you mean something else?
xpander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 04:24 AM   #9
mccrabney

disregard, wrong version

Last edited by mccrabney; 05-12-2021 at 05:22 AM.
mccrabney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 05:15 AM   #10
dangguidan

Quote:

Anyone else?
Yes, especially for MIDI items, I don't like split MIDI, which requires frequent switching in MIDI editor,And it's often covered.
dangguidan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 07:23 AM   #11
wholehalf

Quote:
Originally Posted by akademie View Post
Nice addition, thanks devs.

In fact all (and any) updates to "Super8" are highly welcome
This is pretty huge! Reaper just got a native Ableton or MPC style clip launcher! Was this always possible with JSFX or have new capabilities been added recently?
wholehalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 07:43 AM   #12
ferropop

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangguidan View Post
Yes, especially for MIDI items, I don't like split MIDI, which requires frequent switching in MIDI editor,And it's often covered.
This would break Reaper's "open concept" of being able to mix audio and MIDI items on the same track though. You can't have itemless MIDI and non-typed tracks.

idea: you could have type-specific lanes in the new fixed lanes paradigm though

ie, a single contiguous non-item MIDI lane, working in tandem with the current system
Old 05-12-2021, 11:39 AM   #13
gxray

Quote:
Originally Posted by wholehalf View Post
This is pretty huge! Reaper just got a native Ableton or MPC style clip launcher! Was this always possible with JSFX or have new capabilities been added recently?
I think the majority of this has been possible because of REAPERs API
(Some of it might require a native library extension in IE C++/Rust though).

Playtime by Helgoboss is a mixed VST + REAPER native extension that's a clone of Abletons session view.

It costs a small amount of money though. (But there's an unlimited 30 min trial & it's worth several times the asking price IMO)

https://www.helgoboss.org/projects/playtime/
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=149712

The Super8 enhancements sound awesome though, can't wait to try them out =D
Old 05-12-2021, 11:54 AM   #14
svijayrathinam

I know this is a different issue..But its very much connected to reasurround pan too. So here it is. We definitely need the ability to rearrange or re - order the envelope lanes..if not it looks very messy like this. Please see the image on the attached link..

https://drive.google.com/file/d/12Xy...ew?usp=sharing

Its too confusing...Developers ..can you pls give us the ability to rearrange the envelope lanes by dragging ?
svijayrathinam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 01:18 PM   #15
Phazma

Quote:
Originally Posted by svijayrathinam View Post
Developers ..can you pls give us the ability to rearrange the envelope lanes by dragging ?
+1 it can easily get confusing. And envelope control panels generally should be more flexible and similar in behavior to track control panels.
Phazma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 01:26 PM   #16
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpander View Post
Confirmed. It seems this broke already in reaper628+dev0504.
Yes, this was broken by the fix to razor-edited media item groups in +dev0504. Will be fixed for rc5.
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 02:05 PM   #17
BPBaker

Forgive me if this is late feedback for a RC (or if it's already been discussed in the ReaSurroundPan thread)... But I'm just getting to testing the new ReaSurroundPan and I'm surprised how time consuming it is to create custom/alternative/non-standard speaker layouts.

I've been working with ambisonics so my use case is a bit different than how most folks would probably use ReaSurroundPan, but I can imagine scenarios where you'd either want to mix/match surround and ambisonic material, turn an existing conventional surround mix into ambisonics (or vice versa) or just use ambisonics as an intermediate format. And if I want to use ReaSurroundPan along with other ambisonic encode/decode plugins (e.g. from IEM, AALTO, or Blue Ripple), it's a rather complicated thing to customize ReaSurround's speaker positions to match various ins/outs, or compensate for plugins that don't route channel 4 as an LFE, etc. Maybe this is just a matter of adding a wider variety of speaker layouts in addition to the current ITU/Auro presets?

One suggestion: being able to simply drag and re-order speaker positions/output tracks within the ReaSurroundPan interface itself (rather than manually changing each speaker position/angle) would be a big time-saver and make it easier to work with ambisonic or other non-standard surround format plugins.

I haven't used this myself, but I also wonder if it might make sense to have ReaSurroundPan be able to interpret JSON data for speaker positions like the IEM plugins do? (Perhaps this is a square peg/round hole kind of situation, though, given that ReaSurroundPan would only cover the top hemisphere of an ambisonic sound field?)
BPBaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 02:08 PM   #18
svijayrathinam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phazma View Post
+1 it can easily get confusing. And envelope control panels generally should be more flexible and similar in behavior to track control panels.
Yes.. imagine having 5 pan pucks and doing this.. X and Y values will be all over the place .. it will be a mess !! Pls .. developers.. this is very important
svijayrathinam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 02:20 PM   #19
daniellumertz

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPBaker View Post
Forgive me if this is late feedback for a RC (or if it's already been discussed in the ReaSurroundPan thread)... But I'm just getting to testing the new ReaSurroundPan and I'm surprised how time consuming it is to create custom/alternative/non-standard speaker layouts.

I've been working with ambisonics so my use case is a bit different than how most folks would probably use ReaSurroundPan, but I can imagine scenarios where you'd either want to mix/match surround and ambisonic material, turn an existing conventional surround mix into ambisonics (or vice versa) or just use ambisonics as an intermediate format. And if I want to use ReaSurroundPan along with other ambisonic encode/decode plugins (e.g. from IEM, AALTO, or Blue Ripple), it's a rather complicated thing to customize ReaSurround's speaker positions to match various ins/outs, or compensate for plugins that don't route channel 4 as an LFE, etc. Maybe this is just a matter of adding a wider variety of speaker layouts in addition to the current ITU/Auro presets?

One suggestion: being able to simply drag and re-order speaker positions/output tracks within the ReaSurroundPan interface itself (rather than manually changing each speaker position/angle) would be a big time-saver and make it easier to work with ambisonic or other non-standard surround format plugins.

I haven't used this myself, but I also wonder if it might make sense to have ReaSurroundPan be able to interpret JSON data for speaker positions like the IEM plugins do? (Perhaps this is a square peg/round hole kind of situation, though, given that ReaSurroundPan would only cover the top hemisphere of an ambisonic sound field?)
actually one of the first things I tried was to move the speakers around but didn't find how to, would be nice to have this. I think in the first versions we could move with the mouse. Maybe there is a reason they droped this feature, don't know if was already discussed (?)
daniellumertz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 02:23 PM   #20
schwa
Administrator

If you select "custom speakers" in the speaker arrangement dropdown, you can then move the speaker positions with the mouse. Note this only works in the 2D views, not the 3D view.
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 03:09 PM   #21
daniellumertz

Ohhhh sorry schwa ! Nice to know, I though it was removed for some reason good to know still there congrats on the new tool!

Just noticed that holding alt moves vertically also, nice!
daniellumertz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 07:25 PM   #22
BPBaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
If you select "custom speakers" in the speaker arrangement dropdown, you can then move the speaker positions with the mouse. Note this only works in the 2D views, not the 3D view.
Ah, yes. I understand you can move the speaker positions in custom mode. Just to clarify: what I'm suggesting is that we also be able change the speaker output channel number order. If you were look at each speaker as its own "object" (which may already be positioned in the correct spatial location but outputting on the wrong channel), it would be helpful to be able to rearrange or shuffle the channel order of which output that object is being routed to. (Yes, you could do this with the plugin I/O but that easily creates more confusion in multichannel setups.)

Additionally, some ambisonic plugins don't account for LFE on channel 4. (Channel 4 thus becomes "left rear" in 5.x or "left side" in 7.x etc.) You can un-check the "4=LFE" box in ReaSurroundPan to create a discreet output in channel 4, of course, but then you have to re-adjust all speaker positions for every following channel, too. It's doable but it takes time. Since the speaker positions may conceivably already be in the correct positions (albeit the wrong channel depending on which system/plugins you're using), wouldn't it be easier to be able to simply rearrange the order of those speaker outputs to the appropriate channels rather than re-entering all the speaker position data? I'm imagining you'd drag/rearrange the channel order here:

I suspect ReaSurroundPan is probably just the wrong tool for the job when working with ambisonic material--as is, I'd frankly stick with using purpose-built ambisonic pannners/decoders like IEM and AALTO for most things. But it would be cool if ReaSurroundPan were more compatible with ambisonic (or mixed surround) workflows, too!

Last edited by BPBaker; 05-12-2021 at 07:34 PM.
Old 05-12-2021, 10:03 PM   #23
fakemaxwell

Can you use the Channel Mapper JS to rearrange the specific plugin channel order instead? Feels more efficient if it's a different plugin needing alternate routing.
fakemaxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 10:46 AM   #24
BPBaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by fakemaxwell View Post
Can you use the Channel Mapper JS to rearrange the specific plugin channel order instead? Feels more efficient if it's a different plugin needing alternate routing.
Sure, that'd work, too. (As often with Reaper, it's possible to set up in a few different ways. My instinct was that simply re-ordering the channels was the most intuitive way.)

The more I think about this, though, the more I think I'm trying to use the tool in a way it wasn't really designed for.

As a side note, I've noticed the XY degree is inverted from the "azimuth" polarity of most ambisonic plugins (where left is positive, right negative.)