Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for Live Use

Old 12-05-2018, 12:56 PM   #1
Dave 2099
Human being with feelings

Default Custom actions for looping/live performance

I uploaded a couple of custom actions that I've come up with for looping and live performance. One lets you record a part and then kick it to another track, and the other lets you toggle between instrument input tracks and bypass FX on unused tracks to avoid bogging down the CPU.

I'm looking forward to hearing back from Reaperites who are into live performance and have some tricks to share.

https://stash.reaper.fm/v/34976/Rec-...e%20action.INI

https://stash.reaper.fm/v/34974/Cycl...ypass%20fx.INI

Last edited by Dave 2099; 12-05-2018 at 04:37 PM.
Dave 2099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 12:52 PM   #2
Yorky

Hi Dave,

I downloaded your template and I'll certainly look at these custom actions too. I've kicked myself into a project development to create a pedal board using the FCB1010 and the RPi4 to host Reaper. For me, being at the relatively early understanding stage of Reaper and Linux, it will no doubt be a long slow path to trod. But hopefully with some of the helpful people around here things should progress well? I'll probably establish a couple of test rigs to help the sub systems move along [and my learning...]. I'll set up a template on my W10 lappy with interface and FCB to test out the workflows I'm after and to work through the great work that others have gone down. Another test rig will be getting the RPi4 to host Reaper effectively. At some point I'll bring them together and have a working prototype that I can road test and work towards a bug free and reliable production version.
I've played guitar for many a year and gone through the pedals, loopers and gear chasing scenarios. I've convinced myself that the Pi can challenge the model of the high end devices and with Reaper offer something unique.

I guess that ramble is a pre-cursor for me to bug you for any help you can offer in the future? Cheers

Yorky
Yorky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 06:00 PM   #3
Dave 2099

Hey Yorky,

Thanks for the shout out. Check out my more recent post with a better explanation of how my template and custom actions work.

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=222094

I'm looking forward to seeing what you work up. Please do let me know if I might be of assistance.

Dave
Old 10-23-2020, 08:50 AM   #4
Yorky

Default Bass sim

Hi Dave,

Hope all is good with you and yours?
We last chatted around live Reaper and bass simulation in particular. Recently, I've been having really great success using Jam Origin's Midi Guitar 2. It's a paid for app but latency and tracking seems spot on. If you get the chance to try it or use it, I can't recommend it enough.

I've set up a folder for each "instrument" I wish to use. The child track is my guitar input [a wonderful Taylor in this instance]. Midi Guitar 2 is placed as an input fx, why? not sure at present but I picked the tip up from somewhere. I then have track fx using Ample Sounds P Bass [freebie], Sonic Anomaly's Bass Professor II & Audiffex GK Amp LE [guess? its a freebie too!]. So far, this is a very passable and playable bass sim. I slide a Velcro reusable cable tie [2 actually] furry side up under the strings right up to the nut and all overtones seem to be dealt with with no compromise on playability.
I'll try out other fx elements to broaden out the toolkit but for now, this is my go to stock bass sim set up as a track template].
I'm still developing my live workflows but the CSI extension will be at the centre for my controllers [FCB1010, XT Mini & tablet OSC]. Geoff is getting close now having re-architect'd the whole shebang.
The Nabla Looper [Esteban Morales] is also a cracking development I'm closely following.

Be great to hear if you made progress too with the bass sim?

All the best

Yorky
Old 10-30-2020, 09:16 AM   #5
Dave 2099

Default Bass guitar sims using band splitter and multiple instances of Tonelib

Howdy Yorky,

I got my bass sim to a workable state. It could use more tweaking but I haven't fooled with it any more. I think it's a model that has a lot of potential. I use multiple instances of Tonelib, which is a kickass free guitar FX suite similar to Guitar Rig, in which you can set up a series of amp and cabinet sims and effects. It really sounds great and is very low in terms of CPU load.

Anyway, I split my guitar signal into three bands using the JS splitter. I tried four bands but three bands seems to work best. Each split band gets sent to a separate instance of Tonelib using the "plug-in pin connector" at the top of the splitter interface (a good trick to know if you haven't tried it before). Splitting the guitar signal lets me adjust EQ and other settings separately for each band. Each instance of Tonelib is running bass amp and bass cabinet sims and EQ's, and each is adjusted to get the right balance of bass, mid, and treble within its band, and in the recombined signal. I use ReaEQ to recombine the signals and examine the combined signal.

Hope this makes sense. I would share a picture but I don't have that FX set up on this computer.

More recently I tried a different, simpler set up just using Audiffex GK and some other amps, EQ's, etc. It sounds ok, but I prefer the results I got from the split-band approach.

I recently tried out Midi Guitar and it's pretty dope. I haven't gone too far with it. I prefer making far out sounds for my guitar using FX and filters. ReaPitch is a favorite; I can get Hammond organ-like sounds, both clean and distorted. It's also really interesting for vocals.

Yeah, Nabla is a game changer. I'm hot for that right now.

Wow, this is the most I've communicated with anyone in weeks! I'll stop rambling now. : )
Old 10-31-2020, 01:04 AM   #6
Yorky

Default Catching up

Hi Dave, Thanks for your updates and great to hear from you.

I'll give your tips a spin through to see how I could use them. I do find Reaper to be a wonderful environment for doing all sorts of stuff.
I did pick up the Collab3 VSTi which knocks out great draw bar organ sounds.

Our lives have likely changed forever now with this global crappola so adapting to change is the way forwards - a bit like Reaper? maybe...

Onwards and forwards. Cheers