Old 01-19-2018, 02:47 PM   #201
JoelTheSuperior
Human being with feelings

Honestly the complexity and ridiculous amount of customisation in REAPER is why I absolutely love it.

I'll admit that I'm not a huge fan of the default settings in REAPER by any stretch, but the power in REAPER comes from the ability to change just about anything and everything to suit your workflow, with the result being a DAW that I can work ridiculously quickly in.
JoelTheSuperior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 03:20 PM   #202
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
It is better now, mind you. got Pro 9 on my mac
Well they had to dumb it down for the Apple kiddies.
Old 01-30-2018, 01:53 PM   #203
caotico

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound asleep View Post
I
That said, I don't really care that much that this random individual chooses to stop using reaper. There are a lot of DAWs out there. Different people like different ones for different reasons, and I'm good with that.

Reaper is what it is. It's not for everybody. There's nothing wrong with that. It definitely is a tinkerer's DAW, and it has a certain way of doing things that some people might not like, and it has feature limitations that some people may not like. So use something else, I don't care.
Yeah, I really like a lot about reaper, but I have to admit that I have sometimes thought of running to another DAW, so I do appreciate the discussion these types of posts bring up. Sometimes the options overwhelm or get in the way of getting music recorded. Maybe someday I'll get there. I still love the way that the basic design is to get a lot more functionality out of the mouse without having to select different tools. I wish that all DAWs and video nle would use S to split!
caotico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 02:04 PM   #204
ivansc

Sometimes people forget that all the customisation blah-de-blah IS optional...
You dont HAVE to use it.
That said, I confess that I spend far too much time playing with new toys in Reaper than I should.

(insert "blush" emotion here)
Old 01-31-2018, 04:18 AM   #205
Philbo King

The reason I quit using Reaper today was that I had put in 10 hours on it and my eyes were turning red. But I'll be back at it tomorrow...
Philbo King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 06:21 AM   #206
uksnowy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
Sometimes people forget that all the customisation blah-de-blah IS optional...
You dont HAVE to use it.
That said, I confess that I spend far too much time playing with new toys in Reaper than I should.

(insert "blush" emotion here)
Here here.. I've been using Reaper since 2008. The most I have done is changed the theme and installed SWS.. I have never run a script or anything from Reapak (no offense scripters). I've not made a menu or a keystroke. Reaper does what I need from the box or I have learned to work with it. I just need it to make music and it does that better then anything else I have tried.
Old 01-31-2018, 06:52 AM   #207
Strange Ways

I've been using REAPER for almost five years now. It's everything I ever needed in a DAW.

That being said, the REAPER fanboi folks that fly around like rabid bats in this forum or elsewhere is extremely embarrassing. Every DAW has it's fanboi base, but with REAPER it really is over-the-top. The problem with all that is some poor guy comes on here asking about Melodyne integration, and the fanbois are all over the place with "You should just use ReaTune, it's superior to everything else". Not helpful at all and a waste of everyone's time. This is becoming more and more common. Though I'll always use REAPER, I could see where someone looking for a DAW would not.
Strange Ways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 07:15 AM   #208
Jason Lyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Ways View Post
I've been using REAPER for almost five years now. It's everything I ever needed in a DAW.

That being said, the REAPER fanboi folks that fly around like rabid bats in this forum or elsewhere is extremely embarrassing. Every DAW has it's fanboi base, but with REAPER it really is over-the-top. The problem with all that is some poor guy comes on here asking about Melodyne integration, and the fanbois are all over the place with "You should just use ReaTune, it's superior to everything else". Not helpful at all and a waste of everyone's time. This is becoming more and more common. Though I'll always use REAPER, I could see where someone looking for a DAW would not.
Tbh, it's been my experience that most people around here would be as likely to offer help with Melodyne integration (often quite detailed) as to get "fanboi"-ish.
And surely it is at least somewhat helpful to point out that there's a built-in alternative that the poster might not know about?
Jason Lyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 11:50 AM   #209
bolgwrad

If there was one single reason to stick with Reaper - I've used it since the dawn of time, tried most everything else and on other platforms - it's because it's very, very, difficult for a computer breakdown to completely destroy your work. Crashes, power cuts, blue screens: if it's a Reaper project I can be more confident than with any other DAW that the last thing I did - within a click or two if not immediately - will be recoverable without too much trouble. And I'm not saying Reaper is unstable; after however many years, I've found it a sight more solid than anything Messrs Gates or Jobs came up with.
bolgwrad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 01:48 PM   #210
karbomusic

Quote:
and the fanbois are all over the place with "You should just use ReaTune, it's superior to everything else". Not helpful at all and a waste of everyone's time. This is becoming more and more common.
I'm going to have disagree with this statement. Being here almost 10 years now, there was certainly some like chatter/threads for a period early on, but if anything this is far more rare than it used to be - I can tell by looking at the current threads. Secondly, 'some' tend to treat anything other than "We'll fix or add that feature for you right now" as an insult and misinterpret genuine attempts to help.

Reaper isn't other DAWs, it just isn't, nor should it be. People somewhat understandingly show up here hoping force reaper work like DAW X. This is almost always going to lead to frustration because there are so many ways to skin the proverbial cat in Reaper, it would be a complete disservice to any newcomer to not try to offer up all the alternatives that may help them; and most importantly the thousands of readers who read these forums, find something valuable when that occurs, then get on with music making without ever posting about it. That doesn't mean there aren't deal breakers but knowing and trying is more powerful than ignorance.

I can ignore "fanbois" and "haters" fairly successfully, everyone else can too if they try, but above all if anyone is using those terms they are already a bit suspect attitude wise in my book. Guilty as charged at this particular moment since I just used the two terms I despise the most.
Old 01-31-2018, 02:32 PM   #211
alanofoz

Quote:
Musta missed that. Obviously happens in the threads I don't read.

alanofoz, aka Alan of Australia
alanofoz is offline   Reply With Quote