Old 01-01-2018, 09:11 AM   #81
fladd
Human being with feelings
 
fladd's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 939
Default

Can anyone explain what + buttons are missing that everyone is talking about? In all the screenshots people post there ARE + buttons. I am confused...
__________________
www.fladd.de/sound
fladd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 09:25 AM   #82
Judders
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 8,542
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fladd View Post
Can anyone explain what + buttons are missing that everyone is talking about? In all the screenshots people post there ARE + buttons. I am confused...
I don't know. On Mac there are disclosure triangles.
Judders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 09:27 AM   #83
vitalker
Human being with feelings
 
vitalker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 4,799
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fladd View Post
Can anyone explain what + buttons are missing that everyone is talking about? In all the screenshots people post there ARE + buttons. I am confused...
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread....98#post1931898
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sexan View Post
Make a thread "F%#! you Reaper! I quit!" to get more views and feedback since these kind of threads get much more traction
SoundCloudFR: True Non-destructive GLUEAll the REAPER names
vitalker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 09:36 AM   #84
ivansc
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Near Cambridge UK and Near Questembert, France
Posts: 18,891
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladerunner View Post
I don't think it's as simple as just different flavours.



Perhaps highlighting things it doesn't do well will lead to improvement. I often find these threads the most interesting actually because they highlight things I may not have scrutinised.

The biggest problem with the majority of these threads is that the original poster in the majority of cases hasn`t spent enough time with Reaper and starts talking about deficiencies which, if he/she/ had RTFM or watched the videos, would realise are due to their lack of understanding/education and not something that either is missing in reaper or doesn`t work.
YES there are things we would all like to see fixed or improved, but a lengthy thread devoted to discussing imaginary faults simply clouds over the real things that actually DO need doing and predictably provokes confrontational responses from the fanbois.

Unfortunately Reaper users as a breed are far to reasonable and open to suggestions
__________________
Brexit Schmexit. Lets have a violent revolution instead. Bagsy the first go with a nuke! (Here, Moggy Moggy...)
ivansc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 09:41 AM   #85
Jason Lyon
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 694
Default

Oh, forget REAPER, Cubase, ProTools and everything else.
Henceforth, I'll be working in PEBCAK.
Jason Lyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 09:43 AM   #86
Judders
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 8,542
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
The biggest problem with the majority of these threads is that the original poster in the majority of cases hasn`t spent enough time with Reaper and starts talking about deficiencies which, if he/she/ had RTFM or watched the videos, would realise are due to their lack of understanding/education and not something that either is missing in reaper or doesn`t work.
YES there are things we would all like to see fixed or improved, but a lengthy thread devoted to discussing imaginary faults simply clouds over the real things that actually DO need doing and predictably provokes confrontational responses from the fanbois.

Unfortunately Reaper users as a breed are far to reasonable and open to suggestions
These threads alert me to functionality I was previously unaware of with surprising regularity!
Judders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 10:40 AM   #87
slipstick
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: UK, near Europe
Posts: 876
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judders View Post
"Why would you want to do that? It's dumb, you shouldn't want to do that."

"Well, I can do it in these other DAW's."

"Well then, you should just bog off and keep using those DAW's then."

It's like everything in REAPER has to be defended as being perfect.
S'funny I frequently think of that as a fairly valid argument, particularly since very often it's not a genuine new feature being asked for it's just that Reaper doesn't do something in exactly the same way as some other DAW.

In the rare case of real new functionality rather than just someone not wanting to have to learn Reaper then I agree it's not a very helpful response. But while not defending Reaper as being perfect I do think it fairly reasonable to suggest that if someone doesn't like Reaper then perhaps they should find something they like better. That's usually better than spending lots of time trying to get Reaper turned into something else (often, it seems, their current/previous DAW).

Steve
slipstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 10:44 AM   #88
Judders
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 8,542
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipstick View Post
S'funny I frequently think of that as a fairly valid argument, particularly since very often it's not a genuine new feature being asked for it's just that Reaper doesn't do something in exactly the same way as some other DAW.

In the rare case of real new functionality rather than just someone not wanting to have to learn Reaper then I agree it's not a very helpful response. But while not defending Reaper as being perfect I do think it fairly reasonable to suggest that if someone doesn't like Reaper then perhaps they should find something they like better. That's usually better than spending lots of time trying to get Reaper turned into something else (often, it seems, their current/previous DAW).

Steve
Of course, it's a balancing act, and there's no point adding features that don't actually add to the functionality. I'm not thinking about trying to keep specific people who post "dear John" letters here, but in the long game I don't see any reason why REAPER can't eventually do anything other DAW's can, as long as its streamlined and customisable nature isn't lost.
Judders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 10:46 AM   #89
grayter1
Human being with feelings
 
grayter1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Saint Paul, MN
Posts: 463
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
The biggest problem with the majority of these threads is that the original poster in the majority of cases hasn`t spent enough time with Reaper and starts talking about deficiencies which, if he/she/ had RTFM or watched the videos, would realise are due to their lack of understanding/education and not something that either is missing in reaper or doesn`t work.
YES there are things we would all like to see fixed or improved, but a lengthy thread devoted to discussing imaginary faults simply clouds over the real things that actually DO need doing and predictably provokes confrontational responses from the fanbois.

Unfortunately Reaper users as a breed are far to reasonable and open to suggestions
As I stated above, I've been a Reaper user since ver 3, and have no plans of quitting. I've watched all of the videos and read portions of the manual that pertain to my workflow.

All that said, my day job as an audio professional is Post for broadcast. So, I have to be a multiple DAW user, because no matter how much I would like to make it so, in my research, I haven't found a workflow yet to match Pro Tools' Audio Suite functionality in Reaper, and I don't have time to learn work arounds on the clock. I simply use PT for Post work, and Reaper, Studio One and Logic for music. Each program brings something to the table, and excels in certain areas, where the others may not.

The point I tried making earlier is that there is a sort of universality in other DAW's. Like the NLE world, there are key commands and a structure that is identical or similar across Final Cut, Premiere and Avid. As a part time editor, I can sit down in front of any of those programs and know that the J,K and L keys do the same thing in each. There are other similarities, and of course, huge differences. But a user only needs to know that, "Ok... it's like THIS in Premiere...", making it easier to feel your way around because most of the "basic" functionality is the same.

If one is a multi DAW user long enough, one begins to see the similarities and shared functionality in many of the programs. Reaper is a different beast. That's not a criticism, and people shouldn't be so quick to be offended by someone that questions what they perceived to be missing functionality, or a clunky workaround when compared to other programs. In my post above, I questioned the methodology in instantiating a single plugin on multiple tracks. After realizing that it didn't work as it does in other DAW's, I researched it and found that I didn't like the answer(s). Does that mean Reaper sucks? Does it mean my workflow needs are dumb or "silly" (as another user pointed out)? Nope. It just means that I should make a feature request, learn to script it myself (I don't do this to be a coder) or stick to other programs.

All and all, threads like these are good. Question everything, because nothing is perfect. Reaper is a fantastic program. It will hold up to questioning and scrutiny.

tg
__________________
Win 10 Pro | i7-6700K 4.00GHz | GA-Z170X-UD5 | 32 GB | nVIDIA GTX 1050ti | Audient iD22 | NI Komplete S49 | Reaper 5 | Pro Tools 2018.12 | Studio One 4 | Komplete 10 | Omnisphere 2

Last edited by grayter1; 01-01-2018 at 11:34 AM.
grayter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 11:36 AM   #90
mschnell
Human being with feelings
 
mschnell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Krefeld, Germany
Posts: 7,688
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by grayter1 View Post
Does it mean my workflow needs are dumb or "silly" (as another user pointed out)?
Sorry for sounding offending ! I did not mean to say your work flow is silly, but that this action would be silly in my workflow. ("For me personally, this seems like a perfectly silly action...")

But in fact I think that the "multi DAW user", your argument is based on, is a very rare species. Some do switch DAW for one reason or the other, but I suppose they either stay with the next one or leave it for good.

-Michael
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 12:07 PM   #91
rick
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Leicester, Eng
Posts: 31
Default oops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dali View Post
Cubase? Don't you meant Cakewalk?
oops. belay that. I was (am) misinformed. That's been said before.
rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 12:23 PM   #92
grayter1
Human being with feelings
 
grayter1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Saint Paul, MN
Posts: 463
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
Sorry for sounding offending ! I did not mean to say your work flow is silly, but that this action would be silly in my workflow. ("For me personally, this seems like a perfectly silly action...")

But in fact I think that the "multi DAW user", your argument is based on, is a very rare species. Some do switch DAW for one reason or the other, but I suppose they either stay with the next one or leave it for good.
Thanks. In my case:

- I've used Logic for years, and as such, have years worth of projects

- Pro Tools for Post

- We use Reaper at the office for recording live music shows. Nothing beats it's stability and we get around the 32 channel limit imposed by Pro Tools vanilla. We only use HD in our suites.

- At one point Studio One looked to be everything that I was searching for - a combination of Logic, Pro Tools and Cubase. However, it's buggy on the Mac side, but the ARA is fantastic.

Us multi users aren't as rare as you would think, and I'd gather that for one reason or another, there are a number of us out there.

tg
__________________
Win 10 Pro | i7-6700K 4.00GHz | GA-Z170X-UD5 | 32 GB | nVIDIA GTX 1050ti | Audient iD22 | NI Komplete S49 | Reaper 5 | Pro Tools 2018.12 | Studio One 4 | Komplete 10 | Omnisphere 2
grayter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 12:58 PM   #93
dukati
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 70
Default

I quit using reaper about every year for about a month because I think I want something sexier that has more bells and whistles. I always come back because I find that the bells and whistles are actually in reaper.... you just need to find them. Reaper just always makes sense to me.
dukati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 02:20 PM   #94
ivansc
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Near Cambridge UK and Near Questembert, France
Posts: 18,891
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judders View Post
These threads alert me to functionality I was previously unaware of with surprising regularity!
Yeah I know but the signal to noise ratio is bloody `orrible sometimes.....



Maybe we should all watch Kenny`s videos more often.... I know I should.
__________________
Brexit Schmexit. Lets have a violent revolution instead. Bagsy the first go with a nuke! (Here, Moggy Moggy...)
ivansc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 02:25 PM   #95
ivansc
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Near Cambridge UK and Near Questembert, France
Posts: 18,891
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by grayter1 View Post
Us multi users aren't as rare as you would think, and I'd gather that for one reason or another, there are a number of us out there.

tg
Absolutely. I bought a Mac recently specifically to run Logic & help a friend who isn`t computer savvy complete an album project that was already recorded and partially mixed in Logic.
Was already a Sonar user for years and had dabbled in Studio One but decided it was way too cpu hungry to be reliable. I still miss my trusty Commodore Amiga
But to add to your point I suspect that an awful lot of us on here are migrants that still use more than one DAW.
__________________
Brexit Schmexit. Lets have a violent revolution instead. Bagsy the first go with a nuke! (Here, Moggy Moggy...)
ivansc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 02:45 PM   #96
Glennbo
Human being with feelings
 
Glennbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Planet Earth
Posts: 3,690
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
I still miss my trusty Commodore Amiga
WinUAE is your Amiga friend on PCs. I can boot a virtual HD made from an image of my trusty old Amiga 2000, and run Bars-n-Pipes, Dr. T's KCS, Dynamic Studio, and other Amiga MIDI software, using either the physical MIDI ports on my PC, or software GM MIDI emulation.

http://www.winuae.net/
__________________
Glennbo
Hear My Music - Click Me!!!
--
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 02:53 PM   #97
fladd
Human being with feelings
 
fladd's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 939
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitalker View Post
Ah, I see, people want the triangles to be replaced by +. I think + is indeed more common on Windows, but on MacOS, triangles are more common I think. Why not make it triangles on MacOS and + on Windows?
__________________
www.fladd.de/sound
fladd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 04:17 PM   #98
mschnell
Human being with feelings
 
mschnell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Krefeld, Germany
Posts: 7,688
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fladd View Post
Why not make it triangles on MacOS and + on Windows?
Making providing support in such forums like this more complicated and driving the writer of the user guide to insanity.

-Michael
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 05:07 PM   #99
Sound asleep
Human being with feelings
 
Sound asleep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Montreal, Canada
Posts: 7,439
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
The biggest problem with the majority of these threads is that the original poster in the majority of cases hasn`t spent enough time with Reaper and starts talking about deficiencies which, if he/she/ had RTFM or watched the videos, would realise are due to their lack of understanding/education and not something that either is missing in reaper or doesn`t work.
YES there are things we would all like to see fixed or improved, but a lengthy thread devoted to discussing imaginary faults simply clouds over the real things that actually DO need doing and predictably provokes confrontational responses from the fanbois.

Unfortunately Reaper users as a breed are far to reasonable and open to suggestions
I agree, but I think there is something to be said for the fact that reaper is kind of a tinkerer's DAW, and I understand how people would want it to work a certain way right out of the box.

I mean, it's easier to find a DAW that works very closely to how you'd prefer, over configuring a DAW so that it works how you'd want.

I get that. I don't know what I'd do if I lost my version of reaper. I'm still figuring things out and making modifications every once in a while. For instance, I just figured out about a minute ago, that I needed to check "ignore mousewheel on top of track faders" on top of what I already had for "ignore mousewheel on all faders", if I wanted to prevent mousewheel from moving the envelope trim sliders in tcp.

Granted, if I had to redo it from scratch, I could go through all the options and know exactly what I want, so it would go faster than it did for learning reaper from scratch, but still. For somebody new, I get it how it would be frustrating to have menus the way reaper ships, and to have to make all those modifications.

Even if I remembered everything I have done so far, it would take me many hours to get reaper to work for me exactly the way it is now.

So, I have my reaper settings backed up in a few places, including online.

And I still get sort of frustrated with things like menus, because when new features come out, it means I need to fix my menus.

So, I really understand the sentiment that people just want to make music, and not spend forever tinkering with their DAW.

That said, I don't really care that much that this random individual chooses to stop using reaper. There are a lot of DAWs out there. Different people like different ones for different reasons, and I'm good with that.

Reaper is what it is. It's not for everybody. There's nothing wrong with that. It definitely is a tinkerer's DAW, and it has a certain way of doing things that some people might not like, and it has feature limitations that some people may not like. So use something else, I don't care.
__________________
Miles in your Shoes Original tune

Last edited by Sound asleep; 01-01-2018 at 05:40 PM.
Sound asleep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 05:28 PM   #100
Jason Lyon
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 694
Default Sound asleep

Very fair comments there.

I can identify a bit as a tinkerer. I've just got through a slew of projects and now the only thing on the books is a slow-boil job. I'm not a prevaricator by nature, but I've been enjoying myself immensely (because I'm weird) messing around with templates and scripts to set up my preferred environment. Rather than getting on with it...

But sometimes going down the rabbit hole is fun for its own sake. I've discovered a hell of a lot of useful stuff that I didn't even know was possible along the way. And at least the client in this instance is me, so we have an excellent working relationship...
Jason Lyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 05:55 PM   #101
Lawrence
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 21,460
Default

Actually, one of those three doesn't require a mod. If you drop a plugin on a track all selected tracks get it. Makes sense to me as "multiple things are selected" should = multiple targets by default, for just about any kind of UI action.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grayter1 View Post
Case in point - I asked a question on one of the Reaper Facebook pages recently. I wanted to know if I could highlight several tracks and instantiate a single effect (say an EQ) across all of the selected tracks. This is standard fare in Pro Tools, Studio One and Logic - highlight the tracks, hold a modifier and boom - you've got Fabfilter Pro-Q2 on 8 tracks. No muss. No fuss. Seems standard, right?

Well, not in Reaper. The thread grew with multiple ways to accomplish the task, but many suggestions involved doing some leg work ahead of time, like setting up effects chains and using Cycle Actions. Someone suggested using ReaConsole (only if you spelled the plugin name correctly), while another suggested writing a script.

That, in essence, IS one of the OP's points. Sure, one CAN program Reaper to do what one wants - and many Reaper users get off on that - but something that other DAW's handle so well (and elegantly), like selecting something, holding a modifier and making something happen is what is missing in Reaper. And if I'm not mistaken, the modifier for multiple track plugin instantiation is the same in all the DAW's mentioned, so it's somewhat of a standard across those programs. [EDIT - Pro Tools is a 2 key modifier]

A new user might think that's all you have to do as well in Reaper, but sadly, it took a thread of multiple responses - and no clear consensus on how to do it - just varied suggestions. That's why some find Reaper difficult. I'm a long time user, and while I get on with it, I just wish that it could fall in line with the rest of the DAW world occasionally. Why do I need a script for something other DAW's do out of the box? More to the point, why do I need a script for something that is handled almost universally in the same manner across several DAW's out of the box?

tg
Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 01:46 AM   #102
JamesPeters
Human being with feelings
 
JamesPeters's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Near a big lake
Posts: 2,620
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence View Post
If you drop a plugin on a track all selected tracks get it. Makes sense to me as "multiple things are selected" should = multiple targets by default, for just about any kind of UI action.
I haven't been able to do this in Reaper. I thought it did this but I'd never tried it. Anyway I did find actions to do this function, in ReaPack:

mpl_Insert focused FX to selected tracks, preserve parameters.lua
mpl_Insert focused FX to selected tracks.lua

Although I managed to make them fail quickly. I narrowed down the variables and realized it was due to using them with JS plugins, while using the option in the FX window "show JS plugin descriptions" (besides the JS plugin names themselves). I just reported it to MPL on his thread.

So if this feature is "standard in other DAWs", it does already exist for Reaper as an action (and doesn't require a person to create his/her own script); it currently has that one limitation I mentioned though, so hopefully that gets fixed just in case.

@grayter1: these scripts have existed in ReaPack since Jan 2017 (based on the dates listed for the scripts). I had found them in under a minute after reading your post. Although I was also able to make them fail in about as much time, based on my JS plugin option. Anyway now you have that option.
__________________
http://petersamplification.com
Using REAPER for Linux
JamesPeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 01:50 AM   #103
msundh
Human being with feelings
 
msundh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Sweden
Posts: 1,555
Default

Maybe I should go to the Cubase forum and start a thread 'Why I quit using Cubase'?
__________________
Win10 64bit, Core i7 16GB, Focurite 18i8, Schecter Telecaster, Fender Japan Squire Stratocaster, Yamaha AC3R
https://soundcloud.com/mikaelsundh
msundh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 02:21 AM   #104
Valle
Human being with feelings
 
Valle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Sweden
Posts: 603
Default

I big thumbs down to all the bullies whose only reply to OP’s post – which in fact was a very good example on how to give constructive criticism – had to be a bunch of stupid, sarcastic messages, pictures or videos.

Who and what do you bullies think you are? A useful resource to the developers and the community? Don’t kid yourselves! You are the ones who give REAPER, its DAW and community, a bad reputation, not the ones who choose to leave.
__________________
FR (2011): Optional per item dB Scale @ [showthread.php?t=80944]
.
Valenzia Vision
Valle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 02:48 AM   #105
msundh
Human being with feelings
 
msundh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Sweden
Posts: 1,555
Default

My post was about the reactions on this thread, not OP.
This forum is always very helpful, but as soon anyone being direct negative about Reaper, everyone goes to attack.
I believe this is common on other DAW's forums.
I really like Reaper, but it's just software, so I don't don't get that emotional about it.
__________________
Win10 64bit, Core i7 16GB, Focurite 18i8, Schecter Telecaster, Fender Japan Squire Stratocaster, Yamaha AC3R
https://soundcloud.com/mikaelsundh
msundh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 02:48 AM   #106
JamesPeters
Human being with feelings
 
JamesPeters's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Near a big lake
Posts: 2,620
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valle View Post
I big thumbs down to all the bullies whose only reply to OP’s post – which in fact was a very good example on how to give constructive criticism – had to be a bunch of stupid, sarcastic messages, pictures or videos.

Who and what do you bullies think you are? A useful resource to the developers and the community? Don’t kid yourselves! You are the ones who give REAPER, its DAW and community, a bad reputation, not the ones who choose to leave.
Well, with a post like this, what did you expect:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merkury View Post
Since many different users already complained about this many times, I refuse to give you some details.
So the OP already made up his/her mind, then closed it. Sometimes a bit of ridicule isn't unreasonable. This isn't bullying.
__________________
http://petersamplification.com
Using REAPER for Linux
JamesPeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 03:22 AM   #107
Valle
Human being with feelings
 
Valle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Sweden
Posts: 603
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesPeters View Post
This isn't bullying.
Oh, but you see, in this case, that is not for you to decide. It’s the one that is given severals of those “bit of ridicule” to decide if it’s bullying or not.

No offence, though.
__________________
FR (2011): Optional per item dB Scale @ [showthread.php?t=80944]
.
Valenzia Vision
Valle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 09:10 AM   #108
JamesPeters
Human being with feelings
 
JamesPeters's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Near a big lake
Posts: 2,620
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valle View Post
Oh, but you see, in this case, that is not for you to decide. It’s the one that is given severals of those “bit of ridicule” to decide if it’s bullying or not.

No offence, though.
The amount of ridicule that was dealt out on the first page of this thread seems minor to me, but maybe I have thicker skin than most people? I mean, a few people said goodbye sarcastically? LOL in my experience it takes a lot more than that to be considered bullying.

Not that I think it was productive either. However I think in general people are becoming thinner skinned. Not to make this political or anything.
__________________
http://petersamplification.com
Using REAPER for Linux
JamesPeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 09:11 AM   #109
EvilDragon
Human being with feelings
 
EvilDragon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Croatia
Posts: 23,234
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valle View Post
which in fact was a very good example on how to give constructive criticism
No, it absolutely wasn't constructive criticism. It was a whinefest.
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 09:13 AM   #110
Glennbo
Human being with feelings
 
Glennbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Planet Earth
Posts: 3,690
Default

Yeah, and I quit using REAPER because I had finished the mix and needed to post the song.

I'll start using REAPER again, as soon as I come up with another song to record!
__________________
Glennbo
Hear My Music - Click Me!!!
--
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 09:16 AM   #111
msundh
Human being with feelings
 
msundh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Sweden
Posts: 1,555
Default

1) If OP had left out 'I quit using Reaper' it would have been a different attitude.
2) If you have nothing good to say, it's better to let it be.
__________________
Win10 64bit, Core i7 16GB, Focurite 18i8, Schecter Telecaster, Fender Japan Squire Stratocaster, Yamaha AC3R
https://soundcloud.com/mikaelsundh
msundh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 09:17 AM   #112
deeb
Human being with feelings
 
deeb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 2,291
Default

he had an honest feedback! why pick only the bad from it?
deeb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 09:38 AM   #113
vitalker
Human being with feelings
 
vitalker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 4,799
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fladd View Post
Ah, I see, people want the triangles to be replaced by +. I think + is indeed more common on Windows, but on MacOS, triangles are more common I think. Why not make it triangles on MacOS and + on Windows?
No, you're wrong! There were neither + nor triangle on Windows...

https://imgur.com/RUdzGpf
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sexan View Post
Make a thread "F%#! you Reaper! I quit!" to get more views and feedback since these kind of threads get much more traction
SoundCloudFR: True Non-destructive GLUEAll the REAPER names
vitalker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 10:02 AM   #114
Glennbo
Human being with feelings
 
Glennbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Planet Earth
Posts: 3,690
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitalker View Post
No, you're wrong! There were neither + nor triangle on Windows...

https://imgur.com/RUdzGpf
Why not make the mouse hover popup a "Double Click Me!!!" hint, and leave the cleaner existing look. Now that I know it's there, I don't mind the missing visual cues, but until this thread, I didn't know I could double click 'em.
__________________
Glennbo
Hear My Music - Click Me!!!
--
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 10:27 AM   #115
Jason Lyon
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 694
Default

A lot of the time, complaints about REAPER come from people who seem to have forgotten how long it took them to learn another DAW. They've forgotten how frustrating it was trying to get OTHERDAW to do things they now regard as basic. Nothing is ever truly intuitive straight out of the box in any piece of software.

It's a common problem - people assume REAPER can't do X because the Xifier isn't where they're used to finding it.

Migration between software packages is inevitably clouded with pre-existing expectations and always takes a bit of effort. I had to put in some time to switch from Quark to InDesign, Photoshop to GIMP, Cubase to PT then to REAPER, C to Lua, etc, but like the Borg, I adapted. I saw the potential, stuck with it and put in the time.

Investigating new software out of curiosity is fine, but of course REAPER isn't going to work quite the same way as OTHERDAW. It's not supposed to - if it did, what would be the point of it existing?

All good software has a clearly defined purpose and DAWs are a great example - at the end of the day, they're really just ways of lining up loads of audio clips and playing them back together. The rest is efficiency and methodology. I know a few people who produce pretty decent sounding work in Audacity. (Actually I use Audacity myself for quick simple one-shot tasks from time to time - when I just need a hammer and a screwdriver, not the full toolbox.)

I'd also add that the ability to trial fully-functional REAPER for as you long as like for free is pretty much unique among heavy-hitting audio software - and it therefore leaves itself open to this kind of complaining. Yes, there's a learning curve, but the community on here is probably the friendliest you'll find anywhere.You can ask the noobiest of things and someone will pop up and patiently walk you through it - you rarely just get RTFMed as can happen elsewhere.

Maybe you've found a few things in your first couple of weeks of playing around that experienced users will admit is a grumble of their own. That's fair enough and helps to highlight concerns for the devs to consider. But it's rare, and usually occurs only when people are plainly already relatively expert users of OTHERDAW. So again, you can't help but wonder "what did you come to REAPER to find?"

But of course if the basis of your criticism is that "I can do it like this in OTHERDAW and I can't in REAPER so it sucks and I'm going back" you can hardly be surprised if people are going to say "okay then, bye". A bit of invariably polite sarcasm is to be expected. That's not being defensive or partisan or "hating".

And I agree with Dragon - the OP's post wasn't really very constructive. One particular riposte was downright petulant. Also, most of the concerns could have been addressed if the OP hadn't been such a shy flower and just got on here and asked.

You can use a wrench as a spanner, but don't come complaining if you chew up the nice decorative nut.

Last edited by Jason Lyon; 01-02-2018 at 10:36 AM.
Jason Lyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 10:50 AM   #116
Merkury
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 31
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by camerondye View Post
The forum is amazing, if he wanted a solution to an issue all he has to do is ask...posting your leaving is kind of silly instead of just asking for solutions to these issues. Maybe he needs to get an IO for his iphone and just record songs on it which is a great solution, the quality isn't perfect but if he just needs to write then thats a great solution. Good luck to you Merkury
My OP was probably out of frustration, I realize I was a bit harsh and apologize.
It was more the rant of a long time Cubase user that was missing his pencil and eraser lol.


Peace and happy new year !
Merkury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 10:51 AM   #117
Merkury
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 31
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dupont View Post
There are some bugs in Reaper which make me switch back to Logic or Studio one from time to time.
The hanging note issue drives me crazy, with u-he Tyrell N6 plugin for example.
I need to stop playback or hit the panic button on my keyboard every minutes to get ride of these stuck notes.
It's annoying and frustrating, Reaper and Tyrell N6 are my favorites but don't work well together.
This issue is Reaper related because these notes dont get stuck inside other DAWs.

I hope Cockos will find a fix.
man ! I was having the same exact issue with Tyrell N6 the last week
Merkury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 10:53 AM   #118
vitalker
Human being with feelings
 
vitalker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 4,799
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennbo View Post
Why not make the mouse hover popup a "Double Click Me!!!" hint, and leave the cleaner existing look. Now that I know it's there, I don't mind the missing visual cues, but until this thread, I didn't know I could double click 'em.
I agree with you! I knew about double-clicking in FX browser, but didn't know about the same thing in Preferences. Well, it could be optional and triangles look better and take less space than pluses.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sexan View Post
Make a thread "F%#! you Reaper! I quit!" to get more views and feedback since these kind of threads get much more traction
SoundCloudFR: True Non-destructive GLUEAll the REAPER names
vitalker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 10:57 AM   #119
Merkury
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 31
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colox View Post
So, a non-Reaper user (or best a Reaper-newbie user, thread-OP) got the drop on the makers of Reaper themselves? Saying Reaper gave him detail paralysis. And it seems not even the aficionado power-users are aware of details he's referring to?

This thread could get interesting
I have been using Reaper for 5 years, not posting on the forum because honestly most of the times a google search gave me the info I needed .
Merkury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 10:58 AM   #120
slipstick
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: UK, near Europe
Posts: 876
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valle View Post
Oh, but you see, in this case, that is not for you to decide. It’s the one that is given severals of those “bit of ridicule” to decide if it’s bullying or not.
Except that you hadn't contributed to this thread at all before you turned up to call people bullies. So you definitely are not "one that is given several...". I guess that just makes you another bully.

Steve
slipstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:31 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.