Old 12-29-2017, 10:13 PM   #41
Liquid Fusion
Human being with feelings

If I have a pblm w/ Reaper - Google has the answer from a post in this forum. The founder of Reaper even stepped up and wrote a script to fix something for me. Says alot about people here who believe in what they do and care how they do it.

FIND THAT A+ GROUP of People in other software. You won't.

I come from Adobe Audition. That forum was golden. Reaper is rock solid and simply amazing. We're all in different dimensions.
Liquid Fusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 11:09 PM   #42
philper

I'm still a Reaper newb, and the hardest issue for me has been one of vocabulary, or what Reaper calls various functions etc as opposed to what other apps call them. That has cost me some time. BUT...from anywhere in the world with an internet connection I've been able to put a question in the search box of a browser and start to get answers. I might have to re-word, keep digging, discount old posts about old versions etc etc, but eventually I find what I need because there are so many Reaper users out there, and they tend to share both questions and solutions readily. What I've come to realize is that any time I think I've come up against a limitation of Reaper, what I'm really fighting is a limitation in my understanding of Reaper! My new default view is that somewhere someone has figured out how to do what ever I want to do in Reaper--I just have to find their post!
philper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 01:06 AM   #43
EvilDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by airon View Post
I didn't know this expand/collapse feature existed.
When a LONG-TERM Reaper user doesn't know that, schwa, it's obviously lack of information from the GUI. Add those +/- buttons, then
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 02:38 AM   #44
ivansc

Add me to the list of people that hadn`t stumbled across that.
I absolutely agree that since the option is there already, far from being redundant, adding those + symbols is not only necessary but follows the conventions used in just about every application out there for all OS`s, so why fight it?
John - you already agreed it was useful but putting it there, so why hide it?
Old 12-30-2017, 02:50 AM   #45
Colox

So, a non-Reaper user (or best a Reaper-newbie user, thread-OP) got the drop on the makers of Reaper themselves? Saying Reaper gave him detail paralysis. And it seems not even the aficionado power-users are aware of details he's referring to?

This thread could get interesting

Last edited by Colox; 12-30-2017 at 03:33 AM.
Colox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 06:26 AM   #46
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
When a LONG-TERM Reaper user doesn't know that, schwa, it's obviously lack of information from the GUI. Add those +/- buttons, then
Dunno, I saw the additional categories with the update, they were causing me to have to scroll to my folders. The first thing I tried was double click.. they collapsed.
Old 12-30-2017, 06:47 AM   #47
Lorbakounet

We should take the OP's rant seriously, solid selling arguments for every other user
Lorbakounet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 07:12 AM   #48
HugoRibeiroDotCom

You know what I really hate about Reaper???? It doesn't come with a function/plugin to add musical talent!!!

Damn you Devs!!!!
HugoRibeiroDotCom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 07:29 AM   #49
The Byre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colox View Post
This thread could get interesting
Doubt it - we get these 'Reaper isn't pretty enough!' rants on a regular basis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorbakounet View Post
We should take the OP's rant seriously, solid selling arguments for every other user
Possibly, but he is complaining about features that makes Reaper different to market leaders Logic and CuBase as well as less popular SW such as Studio One and ProTools. Reaper has carved out a significant market share by being different and having a totally different marketing policy.

Part of that marketing policy, is to not give the 500+ stock plug-ins pretty GUI with 3D effects and virtual buttons. Mickey-Mouse stuff like that is available from the usual suspects and, yes, they look prettier, but they sound exactly the same. If you want and need pretty pictures, there is no shortage of companies that are only too happy to sell you the same mathematical processes (that is all a plug-in is after all!) but with pretty pictures to make you think that it sounds better!
The Byre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 08:39 AM   #50
Jason Lyon

All I can see of any real importance is a bit of flabby UI presentation regarding available options. Now it's been pointed out, we could well see it fixed within the next couple of updates.

And does any other DAW producer keep such an active view on user feedback and patch as much on such a regular basis? Between official releases and for free?

Yeah, REAPER isn't for everyone. But if you want a Cubase-like environment, there's a perfect program for you. It's called Cubase.
Jason Lyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 08:49 AM   #51
EvilDragon

Well what do you know... R5.7.1 will have the expand/collapse boxes in the FX browser.
Old 12-30-2017, 08:52 AM   #52
Jason Lyon

Quote:
Well what do you know... R5.7.1 will have the expand/collapse boxes in the FX browser.
Hvala ti.
Funny how quickly that's happening, isn't it?
Old 12-30-2017, 08:56 AM   #53
azimuth

Location: The place that's round on the ends and high in the middle

Quote:
Originally Posted by HugoRibeiroDotCom View Post
You know what I really hate about Reaper???? It doesn't come with a function/plugin to add musical talent!!!

Damn you Devs!!!!

I'm writing a script for that right now, hold your horses! LOL
azimuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 09:27 AM   #54
Jason Lyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by azimuth View Post
I'm writing a script for that right now, hold your horses! LOL
That reminds me - I must get back to my project to make tartan paint...
Old 12-30-2017, 10:58 AM   #55
vitalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
It's not a windows issue, we just think this doesn't add information. Others may disagree!

Sorry, but what about adding it to Preferences window? 5.71 doesn't have it there.
vitalker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 11:02 AM   #56
vitalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sexan View Post
Next time I make some material,mix,script or anything I will make a thread "F%#! you Reaper! You and your 11MB of customizable bull$!%$ I quit!" And then It will get much more views and feedback since these kind of threads get much more traction
Thanks for the tip! Added to the signature.
Old 12-30-2017, 11:18 AM   #57
EvilDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitalker View Post
Sorry, but what about adding it to Preferences window? 5.71 doesn't have it there.
Prefs window has a non-collapsible list, so it's not necessary.
Old 12-30-2017, 11:26 AM   #58
vitalker

Quote:
Prefs window has a non-collapsible list, so it's not necessary.
Did you try to collapse it by double-clicking?
Old 12-30-2017, 11:27 AM   #59
EvilDragon

Oh haha
Old 12-30-2017, 11:48 AM   #60
heda

now that I know that I could double click... I find the -/+ buttons ugly
or the dotted lines to draw the tree structure are too thin.
heda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 04:31 PM   #61
TonE

Quote:
Originally Posted by dupont View Post
There are some bugs in Reaper which make me switch back to Logic or Studio one from time to time.
The hanging note issue drives me crazy, with u-he Tyrell N6 plugin for example.
I need to stop playback or hit the panic button on my keyboard every minutes to get ride of these stuck notes.
It's annoying and frustrating, Reaper and Tyrell N6 are my favorites but don't work well together.
This issue is Reaper related because these notes dont get stuck inside other DAWs.

I hope Cockos will find a fix.
Just add a switchable_transpose before Tyrell N6 and try again.
TonE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 07:29 PM   #62
Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by HugoRibeiroDotCom View Post

Damn you Devs!!!!
NOW I find this out.

[flounces]
Reason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 01:33 AM   #63
bolgwrad

OP: "Why do I always have to fix non-precise take endings and cut them ?"

I know what this implies, but not what it means.
bolgwrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 01:40 AM   #64
sillyrobin

Bye Bye
sillyrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 03:15 AM   #65
vitalker

How to record to separate lanes:
Options->New recording that overlaps existing media items->Creates new media items in separate lanes(layers)
Old 12-31-2017, 04:18 PM   #66
peter5992

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merkury View Post

-The PLUGINS / FXs window. Oh my god, what an endless list of stuff. They made it even longer now by adding categories . Instead of making things easier, they Complicate it with every update.

-The included Plugins, most of them they didn’t even bother to design a GUI.
The Reaper Delay plugin tells you a ‘tempo multiplier’ that you have to calculate manually…
In a 2017 software, no thanks, unacceptable.
You can filter for plugins, e.g. by adding "Arturia" or "Kontakt" or "NI" which gives you only those plugins you are looking for; and in practice I tend to use a dozen or so, and they are in my recently used list.

The GUI of the built in plugins may not be the prettiest in the world but for an audio program that's actually an advantage, as it reduces load on the CPU and graphic card. You can load up hundreds of tracks each with plugins without stressing out your computer.
peter5992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 05:27 PM   #67
Jason Lyon

Personally, I like the "just the facts ma'am" layout of the stock plugins.

I know it's possible to dress up a scripted function in a home-made GUI, so presumably the stock plugs could be prettified in a similar way, by just nesting them inside a Pretty_Version.

See Lokasenna's stuff here. It's rather crazy what you can do if you put your mind to it...
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=176662
Old 12-31-2017, 08:10 PM   #68
SymboliC

Sometimes, having a huge client/user/fan base is like being god. You cannot make all of them happy at once.

I'm not a music production guru at this point and to be honest, haven't tested the half of the software in the market. Just a little period of time with Fruityloops.

But looking at the feedbacks and reviews in general, I see that Reaper owns its users for its flexibility. At this point having "many options" can be regarded as flexibility rather than complexity. It just takes time to get used to.

I'm a quite happy Reaper user and plan to remain as one.

Though, I would also like to get some improvements in some parts but hey, the updates are there for this reason!

From what I experienced up to now, including the other softwares in different areas like Adobe products, it takes some time to set up the best enviroment and work-flow to go with.

To me, Reaper is pretty much like Adobe products. If you don't get your shortcuts organized/customized to your needs, it can be pretty time-consuming and hard to find your way. But once you're done with that, there is no excuse for not to produce.

Some or OP may say, "oh yeah try other softwares first". But for the past 3 years since I've stepped in music production, I have travelled great distances by just using Reaper. It's a bit up to user's learning curve I think.
SymboliC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 12:12 AM   #69
grayter1

I think the OP's assessment has some merit. I've been a Reaper user since version 3, and an even longer Logic user - (v3) since 1998. It's been a long strange trip learning Reaper for me, filled with frustrations and stops and starts.

If one has spent any length of time on another DAW, Reaper's conventions can be challenging. To me everything, and I do mean everything, seemed 'backwards' when I started using it. It can take a while to undo one's thinking and re-wrap your head around the "Reaper Way".

Even after all the years I've invested in Reaper, I still, on occasion, find myself frustrated - not by the lack of a missing feature. It's more that other DAW's present a straight forward, or standard (for lack of a better word) way of implementing a particular feature.

Case in point - I asked a question on one of the Reaper Facebook pages recently. I wanted to know if I could highlight several tracks and instantiate a single effect (say an EQ) across all of the selected tracks. This is standard fare in Pro Tools, Studio One and Logic - highlight the tracks, hold a modifier and boom - you've got Fabfilter Pro-Q2 on 8 tracks. No muss. No fuss. Seems standard, right?

Well, not in Reaper. The thread grew with multiple ways to accomplish the task, but many suggestions involved doing some leg work ahead of time, like setting up effects chains and using Cycle Actions. Someone suggested using ReaConsole (only if you spelled the plugin name correctly), while another suggested writing a script.

That, in essence, IS one of the OP's points. Sure, one CAN program Reaper to do what one wants - and many Reaper users get off on that - but something that other DAW's handle so well (and elegantly), like selecting something, holding a modifier and making something happen is what is missing in Reaper. And if I'm not mistaken, the modifier for multiple track plugin instantiation is the same in all the DAW's mentioned, so it's somewhat of a standard across those programs. [EDIT - Pro Tools is a 2 key modifier]

A new user might think that's all you have to do as well in Reaper, but sadly, it took a thread of multiple responses - and no clear consensus on how to do it - just varied suggestions. That's why some find Reaper difficult. I'm a long time user, and while I get on with it, I just wish that it could fall in line with the rest of the DAW world occasionally. Why do I need a script for something other DAW's do out of the box? More to the point, why do I need a script for something that is handled almost universally in the same manner across several DAW's out of the box?

tg
Mac Studio M1 MAX / 64GB / 2TB HD / macOS Ventura 13.6.3 / RME BabyFace Pro FS / SSL UF8 + UF1 + UC1 / Roland SYSTEM 8 / Kontrol S61 mk3 / Keylab 61 mkII / Komplete 14 / Omnisphere / Keyscape / Trilian / V Collection X / UVI Falcon

Last edited by grayter1; 01-01-2018 at 12:38 AM.
grayter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 01:04 AM   #70
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by grayter1 View Post
a straight forward, or standard (for lack of a better word) way
The better word is "best suiting the ways this special user is thinking or is accustomed to be thinking".

It's just a very personal thing, and if a person is not happy with the ways of Reaper (and publicly says so), nobody is entitled to bash him for this. But declaring that to be Reaper's fault is just ideological, and ignoring the rights of those for whom Reaper is the tool that fits best to their way of thinking and doing stuff.

Especially those considering themselves "professionals" seem to tend to declare their personal ways to be "standard" and to be unwilling (while supposedly not unable) to try (and potentially learn to love) a different workflow.

The especially nice thing about Reaper is that a lot of the stuff a person might be wishing to exist to support his personal workflow is available (or doable) by adding appropriate extensions (e.g. and first of all SWS will help a great number of users on that behalf). But anybody giving Reaper a try needs to free their minds from certain blocks and consider to add (or do, or have done) such extensions, and maybe slightly tweak his workflow accordingly. (And here, ReaPack is starting to get up to speed to be a great help for new users, by offering a way to find and install those existing extensions that might make Reaper more comfortable for them - even "instantly", without needing to ask in the forum and waiting for reply.)

Quote:
highlight the tracks, hold a modifier and boom - you've got Fabfilter Pro-Q2 on 8 tracks. No muss. No fuss. Seems standard, right?
For me personally, this seems like a perfectly silly action, and in case I in some rare occasions would like to achieve exactly this result, saving the some 20 clicks necessary to do this in Reaper (if you did not install a script the does this exactly like in the said DAWs) would save just a few seconds of my livetime. So no need for such strange and unexpected comfort at all.

Quote:
A new user might think that's all you have to do as well in Reaper, but sadly,...
Here you don't describe a "typical new user", but you assume a user who is fluent with certain of the multiple existing DAWs. Of course such "fugitives" do exist and are very well worth decent support from this forums (if they ask for that), but they are not entitled to bash Reaper for not serving their (assumed) needs in exactly the same the way they are accustomed to.

Quote:
Why do I need a script for something other DAW's do out of the box?
... And why can the DAW xy not at all be used for something, Reaper can do either out of the box or by installing or doing an appropriate script ?

-Michael

Last edited by mschnell; 01-01-2018 at 03:46 AM.
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 03:38 AM   #71
G-Sun

Quote:
I started using Reaper because I liked the idea of working without dongle (cubase user) and I tried to live with R's imperfections... but it's too painful to write music in R, sorry.
Well, you've checked out Reaper,
found out it didn't suit you,
and lists some whys here.

That's fair. So, long. See you around somewhere
G-Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 03:59 AM   #72
ivansc

After G-Sun`s post, we COULD just close the thread? He is absolutely right on the money & leaves pretty much nothing else to say IMO.
O.P. already said he is long gone, so why waste bandwidth "convincing" each other?
Old 01-01-2018, 05:49 AM   #73
bladerunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
And that, my dears, is why there is always strawberry and vanillla.
I don't think it's as simple as just different flavours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
The only bit I always find a little sad about posts like the original is that people who don't gel with reaper occasionally feel the need to tell the rest of us how badly it sucks, etc.
Perhaps highlighting things it doesn't do well will lead to improvement. I often find these threads the most interesting actually because they highlight things I may not have scrutinised.
bladerunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 06:17 AM   #74
Judders

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladerunner View Post
I don't think it's as simple as just different flavours.

Perhaps highlighting things it doesn't do well will lead to improvement. I often find these threads the most interesting actually because they highlight things I may not have scrutinised.
I agree.

If there's something from another DAW that people find useful, why not steal it? The reason I'm happy sticking with REAPER is because it can be chocolate and vanilla... and rum n' raisin... and mint choc chip...

What I do find strange is people defending the lack of a feature, like it would devalue REAPER to have more features. Doesn't make sense to me.
Judders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 06:39 AM   #75
rick

Default Cubase Problems

I would suggest not going back to Cubase at this stage. Probably Logic. I think Apple will be support it for many more years.
I'm not a Cubase fan, but it's sad that they are folding.

r

(Reaper preferred in all cases)

Quote:
I started using Reaper because I liked the idea of working without dongle (cubase user) and I tried to live with R's imperfections... but it's too painful to write music in R, sorry. There are too many mistakes in the software, too many options, I think they should restart it from scratch. Sorry if I sound rude.

Here are the things that drove me crazy about R.

- Snap settings. Seriously, there are like 30 checkboxes in this window, and good luck if you can figure out what they all mean !

-Different snap/grid settings for both Arrange view and, sometimes, for EVERY SINGLE MIDI ITEM. Weird and time consuming
to always fixing note snap values ! ONE setting for all the software please, like every other DAW !!

-Cycle recording it's unusable, bad to look at and clunky.

-Recording different takes it's counter-intuitive. The software should help the user work in an intuitive way. Why do I always have to fix non-precise take endings and cut them ?

-Right clicking.... seriously ? Why in the world ? Just to be different ?

-The PLUGINS / FXs window. Oh my god, what an endless list of stuff. They made it even longer now by adding categories . Instead of making things easier, they Complicate it with every update.

-The included Plugins, most of them they didn’t even bother to design a GUI.
The Reaper Delay plugin tells you a ‘tempo multiplier’ that you have to calculate manually…
In a 2017 software, no thanks, unacceptable.

-The CLICK sound, so annoying, yes I know I can change its frequency,still, it sounds WEIRD. Plus, by default, the HIGHEST PITCH NOTE should be the 1st Beat!

-The Menus. The infinite amount of Menus / Options / Checkboxes. Also, I want to MAKE MUSIC, I don’t want to Re-Program the software with Scripts so that it can make things
that Other DAWS made easily on a Windows 95 machine…..

ON THE OTHER HAND, Here's where Reaper EXCELS in my opinion :

-Multitrack recording (no takes, one go).
It works really well and audio is easy to cut.

-FXs ROUTING . If you can imagine it, you can route it in Reaper. That's good for creative FXs use.

-Audio warp / WAV tempo manipulation

-Probably Sound Design because you can route so many FXs / SENDS

Feel free to hate on me. I gave R a shot, but it always feels like an incomplete piece of software.
Props to the Devs for their work so far, but... to me there are better options out there. Sorry.
rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 06:56 AM   #76
Jason Lyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judders View Post
I agree.

If there's something from another DAW that people find useful, why not steal it? The reason I'm happy sticking with REAPER is because it can be chocolate and vanilla... and rum n' raisin... and mint choc chip...

What I do find strange is people defending the lack of a feature, like it would devalue REAPER to have more features. Doesn't make sense to me.
Just my opinion, but I don't really defend REAPER for lacking anything. I champion it for exactly the opposite reason - if you want to "steal" a feature from another DAW, you can. Case in point - I've tended to use it mostly for audio work in the past, but I've spent rather a lot of time recently templating and tweaking it to behave rather like DP. Or rather, my version of DP.

The devs often put a new feature on the list for a quick interim release if there's enough demand and they think it's a good idea - and they're regularly involved in these forums. Or you can actually roll up your sleeves and dive into actions, scripts and templates to implement it yourself. Your contribution, whether as just an idea, a request, a moan or an inefficient solution sometimes feeds back in for the potential benefit of all.

It's very rare to hit an impenetrable black box in REAPER. With other DAWs run on a more traditional commercial basis, you get far more "nope, sorry, it can't do that" moments. You have to wait until JackDAW 2019 for that (and what you want might not be included even then).

The one thing that does seem to be a sticking point for a lot of people is the unpretty UI interfaces on the stock plugins. Some love it (afaic, all param EQs and compressors are basically the same under the hood) but...

Perhaps packages of scripts, bundled with necessary extra graphic assets, and named much like themes to GUI up the stock plugins would be an interesting avenue to explore. Perhaps using Lokasenna's library (referenced passim). I'd be willing to contribute to this kind of PlugSkin project.
Old 01-01-2018, 08:14 AM   #77
slipstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judders View Post
Never heard of "bloatware"? Software full of features that no-one or maybe one or two users of the shouty variety wanted? And all of those features take effort designing, coding and maintaining. Effort that then can't be used to maintain or improve existing features because, despite what some users seem to think, development effort is not infinite. Just like users with no programming experience always think that their pet feature "should be really easy to program, can't take more than a few minutes". If it's that easy, get writing .

There's no harm in asking for a new feature. Just as there's no harm replying to that request with "I don't think that's needed" or "I already do that but this way...".

Steve
slipstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 08:44 AM   #78
Dali

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick View Post
I would suggest not going back to Cubase at this stage. Probably Logic. I think Apple will be support it for many more years.
I'm not a Cubase fan, but it's sad that they are folding.
Cubase? Don't you meant Cakewalk?
Old 01-01-2018, 09:06 AM   #79
Judders

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipstick View Post
Never heard of "bloatware"? Software full of features that no-one or maybe one or two users of the shouty variety wanted? And all of those features take effort designing, coding and maintaining. Effort that then can't be used to maintain or improve existing features because, despite what some users seem to think, development effort is not infinite. Just like users with no programming experience always think that their pet feature "should be really easy to program, can't take more than a few minutes". If it's that easy, get writing .

There's no harm in asking for a new feature. Just as there's no harm replying to that request with "I don't think that's needed" or "I already do that but this way...".

Steve
Loops, plugin skins, software instruments... this is what I think of in terms of "bloat". They increase the footprint of REAPER but only benefit those who want them.

Added functions like the notation editor, more functionality in the midi editor, automation items, new actions like the example of adding plugins to multiple selected tracks given a few posts above... these are great for the people who use them, and don't affect those who don't want to.

If there's already a valid way to do something, that's fine. It's the kind that go:

"Why would you want to do that? It's dumb, you shouldn't want to do that."

"Well, I can do it in these other DAW's."

"Well then, you should just bog off and keep using those DAW's then."

It's like everything in REAPER has to be defended as being perfect.
Judders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 09:11 AM   #80
fladd

Can anyone explain what + buttons are missing that everyone is talking about? In all the screenshots people post there ARE + buttons. I am confused...