Old 03-03-2011, 09:10 PM   #1
Zeugitai
Human being with feelings

Default How can I make the AKAI MPK Mini work?

I just got an MPK Mini today. I'm very new to all this. I just got Reaper set up and working with an Akai EWI USB a few days ago. I wanted a keyboard for drums and chords, so I got this MPK Mini. I'll open a vst instrument like the Tascam CVPiano-modeled and get nothing at all, and I can't understand why not. I'll open another one like A-Pad V4.5 and get a response from all keys and the pads. Why is the CVPiano dead in the water? I get nothing out of DrumKit2, while FMMF works up the keyboard but not on the pads. Why do some of the VSTs respond perfectly and others are dead? With ErsDrums only pad 6 and pad 3 produce a sound and they are a cymbal and a weird high hat sound only. I realize that I probably need a basic lesson here, but I'm stumped. With Atlas only pads 1,2,and 3 work (there should be six working) and these only control two high hats and a conga. the keyboard controls nothing in that one. I'm missing the key here. All help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Zeugitai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 04:22 PM   #2
Zeugitai

Default Oh No

Don't tell me my question is too stupid even for "newbieland?" How about a clue or a point in the right direction and I'll take it from there?
Old 03-05-2011, 07:04 PM   #3
Mugai

I don't think it's that the question is "stupid" in any way, but that the Akai MPK Mini is pretty new and not many people have it yet... and Akai controllers seem to be hit-or-miss with REAPER.

I've been wanting to get one, but haven't gotten around to it yet -- but, in the meantime, how did you install the Mini? Did you install the manufacturer's drivers, or did you just plug the controller in and let Windows install the standard MIDI drivers for it?
Mugai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 05:04 AM   #4
Planetary

On the CD, there's a program called MPK Mini Editor. You're definitely going to want to edit and load presets for the pads to work properly.

To edit, save and load presets, you have to make sure the MPK is plugged into a USB port, but you can't have Reaper (or any DAW) running while you edit the presets.

I highly recommend opening the pdf manual and checking it out as you assign the pads, because it's definitely confusing for those of us who are new to this. The manual has a numbered list of the parameters for the pads and how to edit them.

Basically, you're telling the pads which keyboard notes to correspond to. So if C1 is a snare drum, and you make the first pad C1, it'll hit that snare.

I still haven't figured out a way to get the pads to trigger samplers, mostly because I cannot find a halfway decent sampler VST to work with. Shortcircuit crashed Reaper on my machine, and LiveSlice is confusing and apparently buggy. I really, really want to find a way to chop my own samples and control them with the pads, and it's a frustrating search so far.
Planetary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 09:20 AM   #5
Zeugitai

Default Yep

Quote:
Originally Posted by theraje View Post
[...] how did you install the Mini? Did you install the manufacturer's drivers, or did you just plug the controller in and let Windows install the standard MIDI drivers for it?
First I put in the CD and loaded the driver and installed the editor. Then plugged in the MPK and it was recognized. Then opened Reaper and enabled the MPK. Then opened some VSTs and some worked with it over the entire range of pads and keys and others had limited response to some pads only, or some keys only, and others had no response at all. I searched all over the internet for some kind of tutorial about getting it set up to work but all seem to assume that the above is all you need to do and bam it just works from there. Not so.
Old 03-06-2011, 09:37 AM   #6
Zeugitai

Default So

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planetary View Post
On the CD, there's a program called MPK Mini Editor. You're definitely going to want to edit and load presets for the pads to work properly.

[...]

I highly recommend opening the pdf manual and checking it out as you assign the pads, because it's definitely confusing for those of us who are new to this. The manual has a numbered list of the parameters for the pads and how to edit them.

Basically, you're telling the pads which keyboard notes to correspond to. So if C1 is a snare drum, and you make the first pad C1, it'll hit that snare.
Thanks for the guidance. I understand what you're saying and I get the idea. I'm going to mess around with it now. But how do you know, with any particular VST, which pads to assign to what in order to get them to jive with what the VST wants or needs to use?

Just as an aside: I gave up on computer music in the 90s because of incompatibilities and such. I was wasting too much time and money trying to get this (expensive) thing to communicate with that (expensive) thing, high latencies, finding drivers, beating my head against bugs and glitches, and not making any music in the process, and then windows would change versions and it would start all over, etc, etc. Recently I decided to try again thinking that after twelve years things would have been smoothed out. But Here I am again wasting all my time and a fair amount of money trying to make this thing work with that thing, and any thought of making music has become secondary to all this BS. I had a spark of inspiration but that is long gone now and I'm facing this drudge work of editing midi information that I don't know jack about just to get a sound out of this keyboard and this VST. It's just the same situation I was in back in 1995 and it's discouraging.

But thanks again.
Old 03-06-2011, 11:10 AM   #7
Zeugitai

Default Update

Thanks to monkeying around with MPK presets I've got it triggering VSTs fine. Had to get the master volume down to get the sounds clear, too. Anyway, for the time being, I'm making music. Thanks for the help.
Old 03-07-2011, 11:39 AM   #8
DarkScape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planetary View Post

To edit, save and load presets, you have to make sure the MPK is plugged into a USB port, but you can't have Reaper (or any DAW) running while you edit the presets.

I still haven't figured out a way to get the pads to trigger samplers, mostly because I cannot find a halfway decent sampler VST to work with. Shortcircuit crashed Reaper on my machine, and LiveSlice is confusing and apparently buggy. I really, really want to find a way to chop my own samples and control them with the pads, and it's a frustrating search so far.
Would this apply to the AKAI MPD18 Pad Controller too?

I've had a few probs (to say the least!) to get sounds & pads working as I want them - as described in my post here:

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=74873

I haven't had chance yet to follow the instructions in J79's reply to my post but will try these later.
DarkScape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 05:32 AM   #9
Mrs. Late Bloomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeugitai View Post
Thanks to monkeying around with MPK presets I've got it triggering VSTs fine. Had to get the master volume down to get the sounds clear, too. Anyway, for the time being, I'm making music. Thanks for the help.
Hi there

Can you explain a little about how you got it working?

I've just purchased and am having trouble figuring out the preset editor and using it with VSTs.

Thanks
Mrs. Late Bloomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 06:30 AM   #10
richlum

I just got an MPK Mini today and I'm having a problem that I'm not sure is a user error, a quirk with the unit, or something else.

The keys work fine.

But when I try to map the pads in the editor, it seems to send a note one octave higher than what I've assigned in the MPK Mini editor.
eg. If I have a pad assigned to C2, it registers as a C3 in Reaper. I checked by recording the output and looking at the piano roll. I've verified this in MIDIOX.

There are no values in the octave settings fields in the MPK editor software (I think they just control the keyboard anyway...

Is anyone else having this problem?

Thanks,
Rich
richlum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 10:00 PM   #11
Campbell

Default Trying to figure out MPK mini from scratch - can't even get audio

I just got my MPK mini in the mail and am trying to figure it out. I'm as new to this stuff as it gets, and I keep thinking that I need to figure out the audio first and go from there. That being said, I may be way off.

Without messing with the Akai editor software first, can I just set up audio with Reaper so I can hear what sounds the mini produces?

I've followed enough to make sure the mini is set as my MIDI inputs and outputs to make available, and I've set my sound as DirectSound, just because it's the basics. From this point, I'm lost. I just don't speak this language.

I've never posted before, so if I belong in newbieland, let me know.

Thanks for any help you can offer this novice!
Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 10:42 PM   #12
richlum

You'll need to insert a new virtual instrument track and then put a VSTi (instrument) plugin in the fx on that track.

If you do that and the Akai is your only midi device, you should be able to just press some keys on the Akai and hear the VSTi you loaded.

If not, make sure that the track is set to receive from the Akai midi input.
It should be set to receive all midi input by default.

Also make sure the track is armed to record (it should be by default also).

Also, you should download ASIO4ALL, it will give you lower latency than Directsound, which will be better for playing/recording the VSTis.

Rich
richlum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 01:44 PM   #13
dylwalsh

Default How to get sounds on it?

I have an AKAI professional MPK mini Laptop Production Keyboard, and I have not figured out how to get sounds on it. I've downloaded samples onto my computer, but that's about it. How do you do this????????
dylwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 09:02 AM   #14
gra

hi
I have a problem with assigning a keyboard pads akai mpk mini, I wish someone had told me what the thing does in mpk mini editor because I can not really handle this, changing pads, but how do I give to upload, nothing happens, can you give me a link to explain? sorry for my English, I use a translator
gra is offline   Reply With Quote