Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 01-22-2020, 10:09 AM   #1
Miscreant
Human being with feelings

Default Screensets: a) Open/Close Toolbars in Sets; b) Big clock not docked on bootup

Hi everyone,

The subject line says it all.

1. My first q. is whether I can set toolbars to open/close in different screen sets. I know I can save their different docking locations (if not undock them) in different sets; but to entirely close a toolbar in screenset A and have it open in B? Is this possible?

2. My second q. is that I have a screenset that has the big clock docked to the right. But when I boot up the big clock is actually floating/undocked. When I then load that screenset manually with a quick access key, it appears properly docked. So the screenset knows where it should be, but Reaper doesn't appear to know when I bootup. Not a major issue, but a small inconvenience.
Miscreant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 04:23 PM   #2
Miscreant

*polite bump*
Old 01-23-2020, 04:38 PM   #3
foxAsteria

1. Yes, if you are saving them as window sets and have the first three options ticked.
2. Use project or global startup action to load the screenset right away. Requires sws; search the actions list for "startup."
Old 01-23-2020, 04:47 PM   #4
Miscreant

Thanks for chiming in. Much appreciated.
Old 01-23-2020, 04:47 PM   #5
lowellben

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miscreant View Post
Hi everyone,

The subject line says it all.

1. My first q. is whether I can set toolbars to open/close in different screen sets. I know I can save their different docking locations (if not undock them) in different sets; but to entirely close a toolbar in screenset A and have it open in B? Is this possible?

2. My second q. is that I have a screenset that has the big clock docked to the right. But when I boot up the big clock is actually floating/undocked. When I then load that screenset manually with a quick access key, it appears properly docked. So the screenset knows where it should be, but Reaper doesn't appear to know when I bootup. Not a major issue, but a small inconvenience.
#2 can only be fixed by SWS bandaids. Reaper natively has issues "remembering" screensets, toolbar positions, open windows, and such. Set a global SWS and it should work for now.
Old 01-25-2020, 07:41 AM   #6
Miscreant

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxAsteria View Post
1. Yes, if you are saving them as window sets and have the first three options ticked.
I just got around to playing with this, and it doesn't appear to work. I close a tool bar that I've docked at the top, save the screenset with the first three options selected, but all that happens is that toolbar is now removed for every screenset, regardless of which one I'm using.

The second option when saving screensets is 'Tool Window Positions', and I know that I can change these in different screensets--say, moving a toolbar from being docked on the right to being docked on the bottom. But a tool window's position is not quite its presence/absence altogether.

So opened/closed toolbars seem to override or work independently of screenset settings, from what I'm gathering...
Old 01-25-2020, 12:24 PM   #7
foxAsteria

Yea I guess it's kinda broken. I tested it with floating toolbars and it works, but it can't remember docked ones in some cases...lame.

But since we're talking about Reaper here, there's almost always a workaround. All hope is not lost.

In this case, since the top toolbar reports a toggle state, you can use cycle actions to show/hide it in combination with whatever can be saved in screensets, like so:

IF NOT
show/hide toolbar at top...
Load window screenset X
END IF
---step---
IF
Load window screenset Y
END IF
Old 01-25-2020, 12:40 PM   #8
Miscreant

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxAsteria View Post
Yea I guess it's kinda broken. I tested it with floating toolbars and it works, but it can't remember docked ones in some cases...lame.

But since we're talking about Reaper here, there's almost always a workaround. All hope is not lost.

In this case, since the top toolbar reports a toggle state, you can use cycle actions to show/hide it in combination with whatever can be saved in screensets, like so:

IF NOT
Load window screenset X
END IF
---step---
IF
Load window screenset Y
END IF
Dope. That sounds tech. I'll look into it. Thanks.