Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 01-19-2020, 05:38 AM   #1
Bombs'n'Away
Human being with feelings

Default 'Render tracks... and mute originals' produces much too long items with silence

Hi everyone,

The function 'Render tracks to mono/stereo stem tracks and mute originals' as available from the context menu of the TCP takes up to roughly 4 times as much time as necessary because it always produces stems roughly 4 times as long as the orignal soure in my recent project. 3/4 of any rendered stem is silence following the last audio event.

Here's what I did in summary:
- New project, one track, EZDrummer 2 VST loaded. I create a song structure by selecting MIDI blocks from my library to EZD's timeline
- When finished, I drag the entire MIDI from EZD over to the one track in Reaper. I mute the MIDI blocks within the EZD plugin. I now edit my song structure further with Reaper's piano roll.
When done, I route multi channel output from EZD to Reaper. I got 10 or 12 single drum tracks now which are fed by EZD's output
- Now I render each of the single drum source tracks to audio by right clicking and choosing "Render tracks to mono/stereo stem tracks..."
- Every resulting audio stem is about 4 times as long as the original MIDI item it has been rendered from
- I have no other MIDI things happen after the main MIDI item in Reaper
- I have no forgotten MIDI leftovers in EZD's timeline after the song I put together
- I have no time selection active in Reaper
- There are no regions/markers after the MIDI drum item

What makes Reaper add 9 Minutes of silence to a 3 minute long MIDI item when rendered?
Bombs'n'Away is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 01:58 AM   #2
o_e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombs'n'Away View Post
Hi everyone,

The function 'Render tracks to mono/stereo stem tracks and mute originals' as available from the context menu of the TCP takes up to roughly 4 times as much time as necessary because it always produces stems roughly 4 times as long as the orignal soure in my recent project. 3/4 of any rendered stem is silence following the last audio event.
Did you try to make a time selection and then use

'SWS/AW: Render tracks to mono (stereo) stem tracks, obeying time selection'?

You do have the SWS-Extensions installed?

(www.sws-extension.org/)
o_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 10:04 AM   #3
Bombs'n'Away

Quote:
Originally Posted by o_e View Post
'SWS/AW: Render tracks to mono (stereo) stem tracks, obeying time selection'?
Works perfectly, thanks. Still no clue why Reaper's stock stem render function adds a lot of silence though...
Old 01-23-2020, 12:28 PM   #4
o_e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombs'n'Away View Post
Works perfectly, thanks. Still no clue why Reaper's stock stem render function adds a lot of silence though...
As I understand it Reaper renders the whole project..?
o_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 03:54 AM   #5
Bombs'n'Away

Quote:
Originally Posted by o_e View Post
As I understand it Reaper renders the whole project..?
Even more than the whole project. There's nothing in that project except for a MIDI item of 3 minutes length and some empty tracks which receive the individual drums' output from EZD2. When rendered via the stock function, those receiving tracks display audio items that are roughly 12 minutes long (most of the items is total silence).

However, 'render stems obeying time selection' is much more handy anyway and has it's shortcuts now on my keyboard for both mono and stereo.