Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 11-26-2017, 02:17 PM   #1
tack
Human being with feelings

Default Reaticulate - articulation management for REAPER - 0.5.13 released (2024-02-19)

(See the 0.5.13 release post.)

Hello REAPER users,

I'd like to announce an alpha preview release of Reaticulate: an articulation management system for REAPER.

reaticulate.com

There are other solutions to this problem available of course, but I believe Reaticulate offers a few unique things.

A few highlights:
  • Simple, (hopefully) attractive, dockable UI
  • Highly flexible output events to control the underlying patches in just about every imaginable configuration
  • Articulations are chased and clearly labeled on the piano roll
  • Coexists with manual triggering of instrument keyswitches
  • A number of factory banks for a variety of vendors are bundled to get you started
  • Free and open source

Reaticulate is installable via ReaPack: https://reaticulate.com/release.xml

As this is an initial alpha preview release there are a few things missing, and probably a few things unintentionally broken. Notably, there is not yet a GUI for creating custom banks, so you'll have to edit bank files by hand and learn a bit about Reaticulate's custom markup used to extend reabank files. This is all documented, although the documentation, as with everything else, is a WIP.

If you can stand my rambling, I've done a video to cover the features and operation of Reaticulate. Even if you tune out after the 2 minute mark, you should have a pretty good sense of what it's about.

I welcome all bug reports, suggestions, and other feedback, either here, or on the GitHub issue tracker.

[Cross-posted on the Reaper forum, vi-control.net, and thesoundboard.net. Apologies if you frequent multiple forums and this is feeling spammy.]

Last edited by tack; 02-19-2024 at 12:18 PM.
tack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 04:45 PM   #2
pbattersby

This looks really promising. I watched the whole video.

When I compose, I like to perform the notes using a general purpose articulation (a short attack with sustain) and then I go back afterwards and draw in the key switch notes I want for each note or group of notes. C2 might be sustain, E2 for staccato, F2 for pizzicato for example.

I see in your picture, below the piano roll, the articulations are displayed. Can I draw in the articulation I want below the piano roll or do I have to record my key switch selections to get them to appear there?

Another question. Sometimes I'll record a violin for example and after I've programmed my articulations (which are key switch notes below the violin range) I decide I want to copy those same MID notes to cello and then shift them down an octave or two. I also copy the key switch notes from violin to cello and then shift those notes above the cello range (which is where the key switches for my cello are active).

With your Reaticulate plugin, can I still do something like that, where I can copy MIDI notes from one instrument to another and also copy your articulations from one instrument to another? I would imagine that would be 2 separate copy operations. One for the MIDI notes, one for the articulation changes.
Old 11-26-2017, 04:56 PM   #3
tack

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbattersby View Post
This looks really promising. I watched the whole video.
Amazing!

Quote:
I see in your picture, below the piano roll, the articulations are displayed. Can I draw in the articulation I want below the piano roll or do I have to record my key switch selections to get them to appear there?
You can step record them, as long as step input is enabled in the MIDI editor. At that point, after clicking on one of the articulation buttons or triggering one of the "activate articulation" actions (e.g. from a tablet running TouchOSC, or whatever), it will insert the articulation at the edit cursor position, or replace an existing program event if one is currently selected in the MIDI editor.

See 1:28 in the video for a demonstration.

Quote:
With your Reaticulate plugin, can I still do something like that, where I can copy MIDI notes from one instrument to another and also copy your articulations from one instrument to another? I would imagine that would be 2 separate copy operations. One for the MIDI notes, one for the articulation changes.
Two separate select actions anyway (you'll need to shift-select the program change events after you select the notes), and then you can copy and paste them both at once.

Unlike with CCs, Reaper doesn't have a mode to automatically select program changes underneath selected notes. I plan to investigate the possibility of adding a feature to have Reaticulate optionally do this (tracked here), so you get a similar behavior to CCs.

Cheers!
Old 11-26-2017, 05:07 PM   #4
tack

Quote:
When I compose, I like to perform the notes using a general purpose articulation (a short attack with sustain) and then I go back afterwards and draw in the key switch notes I want for each note or group of notes. C2 might be sustain, E2 for staccato, F2 for pizzicato for example.
Oh, related, I also intend to add an action to scan MIDI items and convert manually triggered keyswitches to program events (and that one is tracked here).

So you could do your live performing as described, trigger the action, and it'll convert all the keyswitch notes (C2, E2, etc) to program changes for easy visibility in the MIDI Editor. Then you can go back over them and massage via step input.
Old 11-26-2017, 05:15 PM   #5
tack

I thought I'd mention in case it wasn't clear: to have the program changes show in the MIDI editor, just add a lane that's set to "Bank/Program Select"
Old 11-26-2017, 06:33 PM   #6
X-Raym

Pretty impressive pack and it even has a dedicated website ! Well done !

It seems a pretty good alternative to BRSO Articulate and sfer alternative articulation manager, especially because the dev is open (in fact, these alternative behave very differently too).

Thanks for sharing :P
X-Raym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 06:40 PM   #7
tack

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Raym View Post
Thanks!

Quote:
It seems a pretty good alternative to BRSO Articulate and sfer alternative articulation manager, especially because the dev is open (in fact, these alternative behave very differently too).
Yes I did look closely at BRSO Articulate some time ago. I never did donate for Stephane's track inspector, but I believe we took more similar approaches than BRSO (using program changes as the basis for the solution).

Ultimately the closet nature of both these projects was a deal breaker for me, because I really wanted additional functionality. Had they been open -- or at least Stephane's solution -- I almost certainly would have contributed improvements rather than do my own thing.

In the end though I think my own thing ended up solving the problem better for my particular workflow. Also I suffer helplessly from NIH syndrome so it kind of worked out.
Old 11-27-2017, 06:07 AM   #8
_Stevie_

Quote:

Thanks for sharing :P
Absolutely X-Raym! I've been trying it since yesterday and the concept is so well thought out. Jason, you are brilliant!
_Stevie_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 03:01 PM   #9
Tim Rideout

I have added a BANK-PROG SELECT lane to see my articulations in Spitfire Abbey Road ONE, but I don't see anything. I am using NOTE key switches down in the -1 / -2 octave range. What am I doing wrong? Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tack View Post
I thought I'd mention in case it wasn't clear: to have the program changes show in the MIDI editor, just add a lane that's set to "Bank/Program Select"
Old 11-17-2020, 03:03 PM   #10
tack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Rideout View Post
I have added a BANK-PROG SELECT lane to see my articulations in Spitfire Abbey Road ONE, but I don't see anything. I am using NOTE key switches down in the -1 / -2 octave range. What am I doing wrong? Thanks!
Can you email me a small example project?
Old 04-05-2018, 05:16 PM   #11
sproost

Fantastic work Tack. I've been experimenting for a while and haven't found a reason yet not to integrate it in my template.

One thing, you said:

Quote:
Oh, related, I also intend to add an action to scan MIDI items and convert manually triggered keyswitches to program events (and that one is tracked here).

So you could do your live performing as described, trigger the action, and it'll convert all the keyswitch notes (C2, E2, etc) to program changes for easy visibility in the MIDI Editor. Then you can go back over them and massage via step input.
Does this also mean that currently, while recording, when a keyswitch is pressed (say, C0) that triggers an articulation, that message is not translated into the program change? Because for me, it doesn't do this and from the documentation I get the feeling that this should actually be possible. This would really be golden.

Thanks so much for your hard work!
sproost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 05:27 PM   #12
tack

Quote:
Originally Posted by sproost View Post
Fantastic work Tack. I've been experimenting for a while and haven't found a reason yet not to integrate it in my template.
Great to hear!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sproost View Post
Does this also mean that currently, while recording, when a keyswitch is pressed (say, C0) that triggers an articulation, that message is not translated into the program change? Because for me, it doesn't do this and from the documentation I get the feeling that this should actually be possible. This would really be golden.
No, I'm afraid Reaticulate doesn't yet do that. Although if you manually trigger a note-based keyswitch[*] the GUI will reflect that this articulation is now currently active, there isn't any automagic translation of the recorded MIDI to convert your manual keyswitch to a program change.

It's on the to-do list but I haven't done it yet. https://github.com/jtackaberry/reaticulate/issues/4

[*] Where an articulation for note X is considered to be a program where any one of the output events is note X. It does require note X only to appear in a single program's output event list or else the behavior is undefined.
Old 04-05-2018, 06:10 PM   #13
sproost

Quote:
Although if you manually trigger a note-based keyswitch[*] the GUI will reflect that this articulation is now currently active

I noticed that and that's already great. I was using the SWS notepad plugin docked to remind me all the keyswitches. This is certainly a big upgrade. Thanks again.
sproost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 05:22 PM   #14
mikeroephonics

This looks really interesting! Thanks so much for coming up with this idea and bringing it to life!

I can't seem to get it to work. I ran the Action "Script: Reaticulate_Main.lua", then clicked on the [Add Reaticulate FX] button to add the "JS: Reaticulate" effect to a TCP, but the JS is in offline mode and I can't get it to come online. The FX window reads: "The following effect plug-in could not be loaded."

I'm not sure why.

Aside from that, I have one question regarding Bank/Program Change entry: Can this plug-in let you insert a Bank/Program Change Message at the edit cursor position by clicking on an articulation in Reaticulate's GUI? This would be a very intuitive and fast way to insert articulations note-by-note.

I wrote a Feature Request for faster Bank & Program Change Entry which you might find interesting:

FR: Faster Bank & Program Change Entry & Editing
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=158415
Old 11-30-2017, 08:39 PM   #15
pcartwright

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeroephonics View Post
I can't seem to get it to work. I ran the Action "Script: Reaticulate_Main.lua", then clicked on the [Add Reaticulate FX] button to add the "JS: Reaticulate" effect to a TCP, but the JS is in offline mode and I can't get it to come online. The FX window reads: "The following effect plug-in could not be loaded."
Not sure if this helps, but...

This happened to me when I tried to use the script immediately after downloading (using ReaPack). I needed to restart Reaper before the JSFX was accessible and usable.
pcartwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 09:42 AM   #16
sfiks

Quote:
I welcome all bug reports, suggestions, and other feedback, either here, or on the GitHub issue tracker.
Thank you for this very helpful tool. I love it!
I noticed insignificant "bug" that doesn't affect the flow and sound,
just irritates a little bit

when i run 1st articulation

//! c=long i=tremolo g=3 o=note-hold:25/note-hold:106
91 Tremolo ordinary Volume - CC1

and change CC1 from 0 to 127 it does what it suppose to do,
but 2nd articulation gets selected on the GUI:

//! c=textured i=pizz g=3 o=note:29/note:106/cc:01,0
96 Pizz. ordinary Volume - VELOCITY

Somehow value 0 of CC1 (volume of 1st articulation) affects the 2nd articulation. The 2nd articulation doesn't get triggered - it's just gets selected on GUI.

Could I code something to get rid of that?

Thank you,
Slava
Old 12-02-2017, 01:05 PM   #17
rogpfreck

Great job with the http://reaticulate.com/ website and video. Although haven't quite got through the Custom Bank video part as yet. That needs some serious concentration!

Installed on Mac (OS High Sierra, 10.13.1). Works well with Albion One and CS2.

Thank you!
rogpfreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 04:19 PM   #18
daeavelwyn

OMG ! Thanks so much man for your work ! It's awsome !

A trivial question : How can I change the background color to fit more with my theme ? :-D
daeavelwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 04:41 PM   #19
tack

Quote:
Originally Posted by daeavelwyn View Post
A trivial question : How can I change the background color to fit more with my theme ? :-D
Hm, it should automatically use your theme's background color. Which theme are you using?
Old 12-02-2017, 04:46 PM   #20
daeavelwyn

I'm using cubic pack 2 (https://stash.reaper.fm/theme/2016/CubicPack2.zip)

here is the screenshot : https://imgur.com/a/7NOoh

And whatever is the them i'm using it's brown ...
daeavelwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 04:49 PM   #21
_Stevie_

A question that hasn't been asked yet: tack, where can we donate?
_Stevie_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 05:16 PM   #22
tack

Quote:
Originally Posted by daeavelwyn View Post
And whatever is the them i'm using it's brown ...
Yeah, that was a silly bug. I've fixed it, and it'll land in the next release (I hope tomorrow), but meanwhile hopefully you can live with the horribly ugly UI.
Old 01-26-2018, 03:34 PM   #23
seymour22

Quote:
Hello REAPER users,

I'd like to announce an alpha preview release of Reaticulate: an articulation management system for REAPER.
Hi, wow!
I spent few hours to define a custom bank for some of my toys . Works nice. First value I can see is the clarity. In VSTis all articulation stuff is sometimes scattered on many pices of a plugin but here it is not. It is consistent. The idea of having bank/program's bars as articulation symbol is great!

By the way (I am sorry if this question has been asked somewhere among the thousand of posts
- how do you activate bank/programs (besides Reaticulate GUI)? Remote controller configured as certain MSB/LSB/Program setings mapped with what you configure in custom Reaticulate bank settings? I am just wondering how to record/insert them... in an efficient way.

Thank you for sharing!
kr!
Tomek
seymour22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 08:25 AM   #24
kotsaris

If anyone is able to share a bank for Joshua Bell violin,I'll be endlessly grateful!
I try desperately,but just losing my time.Coding is not my thing...
kotsaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 09:18 AM   #25
tack

Quote:
Originally Posted by kotsaris View Post
If anyone is able to share a bank for Joshua Bell violin,I'll be endlessly grateful!
I have the JB. It should be a good challenge for Reaticulate actually. I'll put one together this weekend. The challenge there are all the various control presets and the sheer customization available. I'll have to pick one of the presets to build the bank for.

Last edited by tack; 02-09-2018 at 10:38 AM.
Old 02-09-2018, 10:35 AM   #26
kotsaris

I feel relieved that you call it a challenge.Thought I was just dumb and couldn't make it
kotsaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 11:46 AM   #27
Saf14

Default Reaticulate + BCF2000

Hello! Forgive for clumsy English. Help to understand. Reaper and Reaticulate has established a week ago. I have a midi the BCF2000 controller. I want to switch articulations by means of buttons on this controller. At the same time there 24 buttons are available and if to switch preseta that 24 * quantity of preset. But I have faced 2 мя problems. 1. The wrong display of names of an articulation in a midi the editor. 2. In the mode a step a record when pressing buttons of the BCF2000 controller of an articulation don't register.
And now is more detailed. I appointed to 1 button of the BCF2000 controller - 10.1.1, to the second button - 10.1.2, etc. to 24. I have established a path of Albion Strings Hi on 1 midi, and in a text editor of Reaticulate appointed to her bank 10.1, to the second path - Albion 2 Strings Hi also appointed bank 10.2. All articulations regularly switch by means of controller buttons. At record of articulations with the help of the controller on the first path of the name of articulations are displayed correctly, but at record on the second path - names are displayed not correctly - (with Albion 1, but not with Albion 2). What do I do incorrectly? Something not so with settings of the controller in Reaper?

The issue is resolved.
I already found the answer to my question in the cross-forum It turns out that it was necessary to assign to the controller not a modification of the program, but the CC and activate in the actions "Reaticulate_Activate articulation by CC on channel 01"

Last edited by Saf14; 02-10-2018 at 04:01 AM.
Saf14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 08:18 PM   #28
thevisi0nary

Reaticulate Rules. Got it set up and working today.

I don't quite understand how to install the user banks. Is there a layman's guide for users who are not very adept?

Also, just a recommendation (unless it's already possible), is there a way for the menu to dock into the piano roll itself only?
thevisi0nary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 08:33 AM   #29
aristoxenus

Default reply

Can I use Eastwest Hollywood samples (for instance, Hollywood Strings) with reaticulate?

Tom Wagner
aristoxenus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 05:33 AM   #30
Kitarraman

Default Thank you tack!

Quote:
Hello REAPER users,

reaticulate.com

There are other solutions to this problem available of course, but I believe Reaticulate offers a few unique things.

A few highlights:
  • Simple, (hopefully) attractive, dockable UI
  • Highly flexible output events to control the underlying patches in just about every imaginable configuration
  • Articulations are chased and clearly labeled on the piano roll
  • Coexists with manual triggering of instrument keyswitches
  • A number of factory banks for a variety of vendors are bundled to get you started
  • Free and open source

Reaticulate is installable via ReaPack: http://reaticulate.com/index.xml

As this is an initial alpha preview release there are a few things missing, and probably a few things unintentionally broken. Notably, there is not yet a GUI for creating custom banks, so you'll have to edit bank files by hand and learn a bit about Reaticulate's custom markup used to extend reabank files. This is all documented, although the documentation, as with everything else, is a WIP.

If you can stand my rambling, I've done a video to cover the features and operation of Reaticulate. Even if you tune out after the 2 minute mark, you should have a pretty good sense of what it's about.

[Cross-posted on the Reaper forum, vi-control.net, and thesoundboard.net. Apologies if you frequent multiple forums and this is feeling spammy.]
Tack, I wanna thank you. It took me 3 months to understand that I couldn't get Reaticulate to work because I hadn't enabled step sequencing, but now handling articulation in Reaper is a child's play. Thank you again
Kitarraman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 05:41 AM   #31
K8ch

Default THANK YOU!!!! However, a little guidance is needed..

First of all...
I am very, very stoked that you're working on updates for this!!
This is the -one- thing that I'd most hoped would get some attention, by someone more skilled than I.
This just freakin' rocks!!

I don't know if you can help but:
I was hoping there was a way to install this new version -without- connecting my computer to the web.

Is there a way to do that...or do I have to get connected first?

Thank you, again, for taking the time to work on this.
Ignore the "color" request in my previous comment. The "Program change" idea probably works really well and less confusing.

Peace,

Keith

Last edited by K8ch; 07-02-2018 at 05:59 AM.
K8ch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 07:16 AM   #32
tack

Quote:
Originally Posted by K8ch View Post
I was hoping there was a way to install this new version -without- connecting my computer to the web.

Is there a way to do that...or do I have to get connected first?
It's a bit cumbersome but it's possible. You can follow the instructions from this post here earlier in the thread.

I should probably put those manual instructions up on the website.

I'm just about the release the next version today, so you may wish to hold off before going through the trouble of a manual offline install.

Quote:
Is there a place where we can trade/swap the articulations for sample libraries that you haven't created for us, but that we've made for ourselves? It would be great to (eventually) have them all available.
There isn't yet. I'm doing a curated list of banks for the factory banks (what comes bundled with Reaticulate) and some users have made submissions for that (by opening an issue in the GitHub project). But longer term, some kind of Stash-like sharing system may well make sense, yeah. I'll keep it in mind.

Quote:
Ignore the "color" request in my previous comment. The "Program change" idea probably works really well and less confusing.
Unfortunately I can't control how the program change events are colored (or otherwise displayed) in the MIDI editor. But if you want to model what BRSO Articulate is doing, you can build multis with articulations on different channels (as you would with BRSO), make your custom Reaticulate bank accordingly (like this example), and then set the MIDI event color to Channel. Of course this method will limit you to 16 articulations.

Cheers!
Old 07-02-2018, 07:04 AM   #33
tack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitarraman View Post
Tack, I wanna thank you. It took me 3 months to understand that I couldn't get Reaticulate to work because I hadn't enabled step sequencing, but now handling articulation in Reaper is a child's play.
Ouch! I'd have asked the question after the first hour

The next version will support injecting articulation changes into the MIDI item under the edit cursor by right clicking the articulation, so no step input will be needed anymore (though the current step input behavior will be preserved).
Old 07-02-2018, 07:26 AM   #34
MorkV

Hi, I am testing pre-release and here some of my thoughts
1. Need an on/off button of injecting PChange under mouse cursor(it's desirable that a button is easily available)
2. Multi-injecting on all selected tracks.
Thanks!
MorkV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 07:37 AM   #35
tack

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorkV View Post
Hi, I am testing pre-release
Thanks for taking it out for a spin!

Quote:
1. Need an on/off button of injecting PChange under mouse cursor(it's desirable that a button is easily available)
What would behavior be in the off state? I'm wondering how it would be different from the left click behavior.

Quote:
2. Multi-injecting on all selected tracks.
I had wondered if it should do this while coding it. Should it do it by default? Or perhaps with a mouse modifier, e.g. shift + right-click.
Old 07-02-2018, 08:21 AM   #36
thevisi0nary

Tack I am sorry to contribute to the endless questions you get. This reaticulate has become indespensible in my work flow and I am hugely appreciative.

One question I had, is it possible to save banks with track templates? I use them more that project templates and it would be a tad easier to have the bank automatically recall with the track, right now they have to be reset each time.

Either way, thank you very much again.
thevisi0nary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 10:15 AM   #37
MorkV

Quote:
Thanks for taking it out for a spin!

What would behavior be in the off state? I'm wondering how it would be different from the left click behavior.
Sends nothing(like in the current version), although it's not very important because can just close the midi editor.

Quote:
I had wondered if it should do this while coding it. Should it do it by default? Or perhaps with a mouse modifier, e.g. shift + right-click.
Well, considering that when I going to edit I select midi items for opening in the midi editor, it seems to me logical that injecting would be on each of selected midi items. But here should follow selected tracks but no midi items, because midi items can be selected not for editing(as far as I know reaper API cannot this)
MorkV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 12:47 PM   #38
Kitarraman

Quote:
Ouch! I'd have asked the question after the first hour

The next version will support injecting articulation changes into the MIDI item under the edit cursor by right clicking the articulation, so no step input will be needed anymore (though the current step input behavior will be preserved).
I did, I replied to a comment under the video (if I'm not wrong) and asked about it on the Reaper User Group on facebook. Well, what matters is that it's working now
Old 07-04-2018, 12:53 PM   #39
tack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitarraman View Post
I did, I replied to a comment under the video (if I'm not wrong)
Sorry about that -- I try to reply to all questions via Youtube but sometimes the timing is bad and then it slips my mind. :/
Old 07-05-2018, 03:48 AM   #40
Kitarraman

Quote:
Sorry about that -- I try to reply to all questions via Youtube but sometimes the timing is bad and then it slips my mind. :/
Don't worry, it works now and I owe you big time! It's a fantastic articulation manager, way more customizable than BRSO Articulate and its GUI works just fine, while Articulate needs to be undocked every time I start the script.
Thank you again!