Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 11-28-2010, 08:22 PM   #161
tweed
Human being with feelings

-- entire typing keyboard stops working -- [using xmonad wm]

hope I can ask here. and hopefully i just need some dll intalled into wine.

I have a manually installed reaper running with winasio and steinberg vst/asio etc.

Thing is.. and don't know why... REAPER regularly lookse the ability to use the typing keybaord and I have to click to do stuff.

I know this is WAY to general though thought I'd ask in the event anyone's had this. I run xmonad so though that might be doing it to REAPER.

no idea yet though should be interesting.

So, after a few takes I can no longer play or stop with the space bar. In fact no keys work.

any ideas.

Last edited by tweed; 11-28-2010 at 09:05 PM.
tweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 02:46 PM   #162
Jack Winter

It happens to me lately too. Probably a regression in wine. Try an older version, maybe 1.2 to see if it goes away. Myself I've been to lazy, and normally just exit and restart reaper
Reaper for Linux Documentation (WIP). Software: Archlinux/KDE, Fabfilter FX, Komplete 8, Nebula, Schwa/Stillwell, T-racks Max/Amplitube/SVX, etc. Gear: i7-2600k/4700HQ/16GB, RME Multiface/Babyface, Behringer X32, Genelec 8040, etc. :)
Jack Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 04:43 PM   #163
tweed

very good to know it's not unique-ish. It's very consistent as in, it happens always and quickly. i'll just hang with it with latest wine for now. tip on downgrading to earlier wine I'll keep in mind.

Last edited by tweed; 11-30-2010 at 12:09 AM.
tweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 04:25 AM   #164
eric71

I've had a weird wine (regression problem?) with one particular vst, and I thought this might be the best place to ask for help. A few months ago I settled on using Mandriva after having used Debian based distros for years. I had fully up to date wine, wineasio 0.7.5 and up to date REAPER. I tried the DrumCore free version and the KitCore demo versions. Both worked very well, and I eventually bought KitCore. It worked nicely in REAPER under wine. In a fit of distro hopping, I decided to try the latest Unity Linux (based on Mandriva, but it had some newer packages). I installed wine, wineasio and REAPER there, as well as KitCore (not the demo). When REAPER scanned it the first time, it threw up an illegal operation error, and it's not available in the VSTi list.

I figured it was a wine regression, so I reinstalled Mandriva 2010.1, set it all up just like I had it before, and now I'm getting the same scanning error with it. I've attempted different versions of wine and older versions of REAPER, and I can't get it to work.

I can only think it has something to do with having installed DrumCore or the KitCore demo before the full version the first time around. But the Kitcore website has moved and the demo doesn't seem to be available anymore - so I can't repeat the sequence. The full kitcore install just replaces the vst .dll from the demo version - it's named the same.

In the past when I've seen these type of errors, using native gdiplus from Windows helped. But I haven't had to do this for a long time. And there is already a wine version of it in the system32 folder, so to copy the windows one in, it would overwrite wine's version. Not sure how to proceed.

Does any wine/vst experts have suggestions? It's the one plugin I've spent some money on, and it did work before I messed with things. I'd like to get it back. I've had to reinstall XP, and I'm not happy about it.
eric71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 08:38 AM   #165
eric71

Just to follow up on my Kitcore problem. I still am not sure why it worked in the first place, because I never found a combination of old wine and old REAPERs that it worked in. But I did finally have the bright idea to run REAPER from the command line and watch the output when it scanned the kitcore dll. The error was related to Microsoft.VC80.CRT, which some quick googling showed could be fixed with winetricks. "winetricks vc2005sp1" was the magic command. Now KitCore is scanned and runs well (except for the kits not being in alphabetical order, but I can live with that). So my short sojourn to XP is over. Giving Pardus 2011 a go. Getting decent performance with its default 2.6.37 kernel as long as I lay off the desktop effects. And using my Alesis Multimix 4 USB, I was never able to acheive as low latency with asio4all in XP as I do with jack and wineasio. Good to be back.
Old 02-05-2011, 09:15 AM   #166
Acker

Today I installed the liquorix kernel on my Ubuntu 10.10.
http://liquorix.net/

Damn this is very fast - and low latency too!
Acker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 06:32 AM   #167
eric71

I'm now using the Liquorix kernel on the latest Mepis 11 Beta1 and it works great with REAPER. I had read in a few places that for low latency with Wine and wineasio that the Liquorix kernel worked even better than a RT kernel, and I can't argue with that.
Old 02-20-2011, 11:21 PM   #168
welldread

I don't know if anyone's mentioned this yet but I've had good luck with the latest variant of the Puppy Linux distro called 'Puppy Studio' v3.3.
It's got Reaper pre-installed and working with JACK, amongst many other goodies.

Check it out here: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=60483
welldread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 12:03 AM   #169
smyp

I really love how Reaper is running on my Ubuntu 10.10 installation with wineasio. However, when the projects get a bit more complex (many tracks, envelopes etc.), the GUI gets really, really slow on my 1920x1200 screen. I'm using the current wine from the ubuntu wine PPA (1.3.something). Does anybody have any tips on how to accelerate the graphics? I already turned off all desktop effects (doesn't help though). I fear I need to buy a windows copy otherwise...
smyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 01:44 AM   #170
nboz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acker View Post
Today I installed the liquorix kernel on my Ubuntu 10.10.
http://liquorix.net/

Damn this is very fast - and low latency too!
Do you happen to know if this one works with NVIDIA's proprietary drivers? And did you find native ubuntu repository for this or did you just use Debian (sid) packages?
nboz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 01:53 AM   #171
Cybolic

Quote:
Originally Posted by nboz View Post
Do you happen to know if this one works with NVIDIA's proprietary drivers? And did you find native ubuntu repository for this or did you just use Debian (sid) packages?
It does work

I added
Code:
deb http://liquorix.net/debian sid main future #Liquorix Experimental Kernel
to /etc/apt/sources.list.d/liquorix.list and that works - be careful with overclocking though, this kernel pushes your machine to its fullest and can therefore cause instability with overclocking.
Cybolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 11:24 PM   #172
sranauta

Default Reaper in Puppy Studio 3.3. not seeing USB Midi controller

Hi,

I have a usb Korg KP61 Midi Controller. I have installed Puppy Studio 3.3. and am trying to use Reaper (3.75).

I have selected Alsa in winecnfg which lists the Korg K61, done regsrv32 wineasio.dll and rebooted.

In Reaper options> sound >midi, no midi inputs appear.

Also in Jack control connections no Reaper midi inputs appear.

Previously I had installed Ubuntu Studio 10,04 and after installing wine and wineasio and reaper the K61 did show up in Reaper but Reaper froze so was inusable.

Can anyone point me in the right direction to figure out why in Puppy Studio the Reaper cannot see the usb midi controller but it can in Ubuntu?

Also is there a native Linux version of Reaper planned at all?

Thanks
sranauta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 04:38 AM   #173
corazon

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/vie...608c30b40c0cd0

This says Studio4 (puppy linux rt audio linux) is now free,
and the iso can be downloaded. A post says for windows vst, change
audio in winecfg from jack to alsa. This is about 400 meg download.
Good luck.
corazon is offline   Reply With Quote