Old 01-07-2010, 07:04 PM   #1
T_guns
Human being with feelings

Default I am baffled....

Here's the problem:
I start recording in Reaper and after a while the sound gets all garbled on playback (also noticed non-Reaper sounds computer "dings" are garbled too). I was having to shut down Reaper and restart to get the sound back to normal, I recently found out that I can minimize and restore Reaper a couple of times and the sound will sometimes return to normal.

I have been trying to get over this issue for some time now. I have tried everything I know or have found to try on the net. If anyone knows a solution please let me know!

Here's everything I have running:
PC SpecsPC is solely for recording with no internet and maximized for DAW performance per tweakheadz or someplace like that.)
-Dell Inspiron 530
-Intel Core 2 Duo Processor E4500 (2MB L2 Cache,2.20GHz,800 FSB)
-Windows Vista Home Premium SP2
-2 GB DDR2 Non-ECC SDRAM 677MHz (2 DIMMs)
-Operaing Sys and Programs Drive = 320 GB SATA Hard Drive (7200 RPM)
-Recording Drive = 500 GB SATA Hard Drive (7200 RPM)
-16X DVD +/- RW w/dbl layer write capability
-Soundblaster Audigy PCI (using it for the FireWire port on the back only for the M-Audio)
-PCI 128MB Graphics card running dual CRT monitors (yeah, I can't afford 2 LCDs)

Interface: M-Audio Firewire Solo Updated to latest firmware

Reaper: Latest version as of 1/6/2010.

MIDI Interface: Akai MPK49 Updated to the latest firmware

I did notice that when running a recording last night I was only running the CPU at 6-15% and about 300-600 MB of RAM when it started with the garbled sounds.

I end up giving up on trying to figure it out and leave it for another day. If anyone can help me out I would REALLY appreciate it! I want to record!!

Thanks in advance for any ideas.
T_guns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 07:11 PM   #2
moliere

I really wouldn't suggest using the soundblaster firewire port for any type of audio. That COULD be the cause of your issues. Most interfaces suggest a proper TI chipset firewire card, and in my experience, bad firewire chipsets account for ALOT of problems.
moliere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 07:19 PM   #3
Lucian

Also search around on here for a link to the DPC Latency Checker. Great little program. Do you run wireless internet using USB? disable it while recording or playback. Also for some reason, my DVD Burner in my main tower Daw needs to be disabled especially if a disk is in it.
Old 01-07-2010, 07:24 PM   #4
Diogenes

Quote:
Originally Posted by moliere View Post
I really wouldn't suggest using the soundblaster firewire port for any type of audio. That COULD be the cause of your issues. Most interfaces suggest a proper TI chipset firewire card, and in my experience, bad firewire chipsets account for ALOT of problems.
Absolutely right. As a matter of fact, Creative warns (or used to) against using the onboard FireWire for any high throughput application.

Get a proper TI chipset FW card.

D
Diogenes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 07:30 PM   #5
T_guns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diogenes View Post
Absolutely right. As a matter of fact, Creative warns (or used to) against using the onboard FireWire for any high throughput application.

Get a proper TI chipset FW card.

D
I did order one of these a while back, but couldn't get it to work in my PC: http://www.newegg.com/product/produc...82E16815255014

I'll try it again since I have upgraded to Vista SP2 since then (if that makes a difference).

I'll update the status if I get the card working.

Thanks
Old 01-07-2010, 07:38 PM   #6
Diogenes

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_guns View Post
I did order one of these a while back, but couldn't get it to work in my PC: http://www.newegg.com/product/produc...82E16815255014

I'll try it again since I have upgraded to Vista SP2 since then (if that makes a difference).

I'll update the status if I get the card working.

Thanks
Also check the Microsoft Knowledge base on their support site or Google "XP Firewire fix". There were some issues with Service Packs messing up the Windows Firewire settings. If I recall, it would actually limit Firewire to HALF speed! Worth a Googling IMO...

Good luck!

D
Diogenes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 11:00 AM   #7
Staccato

Please pardon me if this is remedial, but I suggest turning the Windows sounds off, (to "no sounds") they may be competing with the audio interface driver, more so if using ASIO.
Old 01-08-2010, 11:27 AM   #8
Taylor_Nut

Default Me too...kinda

I am also experincing garble but I know that it is from having two sound programs (ie Reaper and Windows media Player)open at the same time. I am running through a USB port (Guitar Rig Session I/O)and my system only has 1GB RAM but that is what is happening to me.

ASIO4All
Win XP Pro (optimized = bare bones)
1 GB RAM
Taylor_Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 11:30 AM   #9
nofish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staccato View Post
Please pardon me if this is remedial, but I suggest turning the Windows sounds off, (to "no sounds") they may be competing with the audio interface driver, more so if using ASIO.
Good advice, also since the Windows sounds are 22,5kHz I think and that's not usually the sample rate you work with Audio.
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 04:37 PM   #10
T_guns

Update (sort of):

I got home from work today and installed the ADS API-315 Firewire card with the Texas Instruments chip. Just as last time, Windows couldn't see the M-audio. After trying several things I ended up trying a different cable.....and it worked??? Go figure, the other cable has been working fine with the SB Audiogy.

Right now I am running some songs through Reaper to see if I eventually get a garble. So far so good!

Also, I will turn off Windows sounds, but I am waiting to see if the new card makes a difference first in order to rule out all non-problematic factors. After I verify that the new card works or I get the garble again, I'll drop the Windows sounds. Thanks for the tip (I am remedial with PC recording anyway - haha)

Thanks to everyone who helped me out on this. Hopefully someone else will read this and learn from my mistakes!
Old 01-09-2010, 02:14 AM   #11
JHughes
Banned

Yes, cables are definitely a problem, usually when they get too long. The store will gladly sell you a cable twice as long as it should be. The limit is 14.8 feet but the last MOTU I hooked up needed one about half that for Windows to see the device.
JHughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 07:32 PM   #12
T_guns

Well, I thought everything was good to go with seperate ATA 7200rpm drive for recording, TI chipset on my Firewire card, all the latest and greatest drivers, but I still get the garbled distortion on my tracks from out of nowhere. I have to close Reaper then restart to fix the issue.

My PC performance meter is showing 9% with 1/3 RAM usage. I am totally in the dark on why this is happening.

Anyone have anything else to try?

Thanks again for all the suggestions so far.
Old 01-24-2010, 06:39 AM   #13
Sheppola

I'd start back a bit to see if the system is being stressed.

Start a new project and set the wav recording to 16 bit 44.1k and match that to the sound card as well/ASIO drivers.

Then start adding whatever else you use.You may just have a rogue VST or sample rate conflict.Also after several hours of work there's not harm in re-booting to fully clear the Physical RAM and hard drive caches.Also make sure your drives are well defragged and if you have altered the Swapfile that you have the correct settings for your usage as per,

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.p...light=swapfile

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.p...light=swapfile
Sheppola is offline   Reply With Quote