Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > Recording Technologies and Techniques

Old 11-06-2016, 12:48 PM   #1
Dream Of Sleeping
Human being with feelings

Default Made adjustment to eq on master bus, liked it, and want to recreate sound in mix

My mix sounds pretty good but a little muddy. I was just messing about with eq on the master bus and noticed it sounded a lot better with about a 2db cut at 200. I don't want to fix eq issues in the master bus so I want to use this information to fix my mix.

So my question is, how do I recreate the 2db cut in the mix. I mean, is there some kind of mathmatical formula with regards to how much I should cut from each individual track? Do I cut 2db from each track? Or would that add up to more of a cut then I needed?
Dream Of Sleeping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 03:14 PM   #2
ashcat_lt

db is a logarithmic expression for a ratio. In this case, when you "cut by 2db", you're actually multiplying by ~0.8. Now a(b+c+d) = ab + ac + ad, so you'd ought to be cutting 2db from each track to end up with the same thing.

Course, if this really is all you want to do, then there's no good reason not to do it at the master. It will literally be the same thing.

It's quite likely, though, that the mud is actually coming from just one or a few tracks. Most probably won't need the cut, and maybe one or two will want a little more than 2db cut.
ashcat_lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 03:26 PM   #3
Dream Of Sleeping

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashcat_lt View Post
db is a logarithmic expression for a ratio. In this case, when you "cut by 2db", you're actually multiplying by ~0.8. Now a(b+c+d) = ab + ac + ad, so you'd ought to be cutting 2db from each track to end up with the same thing.
Thanks! That's great to know!
Dream Of Sleeping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 08:35 AM   #4
jpanderson80

Ashcat is certainly right about the two approaches being the same thing, but I too appreciate track and buss EQ more than master EQ for "problem solving".

Try group similar tracks into busses and working with EQ there. It will give you a broader strokes that will be similar to the master but with finer control. Depending on how many tracks you have to manage, this may make for an easier time.

But... don't be afraid of making it sound good without apology.