Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Color Themes and Icon Sets

Old 09-25-2019, 01:39 PM   #1
Reflected
Human being with feelings

Default Setting supercollapsed TCP heights to 0 (danger!)

suggestion and request:

I was looking for a quick native way to hide child tracks in folders when collapsing.

after searching the forum I couldn't find a nice option...

here is a post from "musicbynumbers" that can explain why I suggest it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicbynumbers View Post
Still think this option should be native and we should be able to completely hide child tracks with a press on the folder triangle (no middle state). As an option of course.

Then it would avoid such ugliness as this! It looks like a graphical crash! lol

Reflected is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 02:51 PM   #2
Reflected

another suggestion:

possibility to have only 2 states: expanded / supper-collapsed
Instead of the 3 states that we currently have: expanded, collapsed, supercollapsed

please let me know if is it already possible by clicking the triangle, I couldn't find it in the forum.
Old 09-26-2019, 02:18 AM   #3
bFooz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reflected View Post
possibility to have only 2 states: expanded / supper-collapsed
Not possible by a theme afaik, possible by scripting:
https://forum.cockos.com/showpost.ph...15&postcount=8
bFooz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 08:35 AM   #4
Herr Nox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reflected View Post
suggestion and request:

I was looking for a quick native way to hide child tracks in folders when collapsing.

after searching the forum I couldn't find a nice option...

here is a post from "musicbynumbers" that can explain why I suggest it.
It is possible, Blankfiles did it with his I Logic themes, but I just don't know how he does it. It would be nice indeed to have that option be available in the Preferences menu ("Hide child tracks instead of super-collapsing folders").
Old 09-26-2019, 08:39 AM   #5
bFooz

It must have been some workaround. I know some people are making supercollapsed children invisible by setting the TCP height to 0.

Reaper count with 3 states. Even if you made collapsed and supercollapsed children the same height in the theme, you would need to cycle through all 3 states anyway.
bFooz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 10:26 AM   #6
Herr Nox

Quote:
Originally Posted by bFooz View Post
It must have been some workaround. I know some people are making supercollapsed children invisible by setting the TCP height to 0.

Reaper count with 3 states. Even if you made collapsed and supercollapsed children the same height in the theme, you would need to cycle through all 3 states anyway.
Yes, there are still 3 states in Blankfiles' themes. Normal, collapsed and hidden. I think collapsed is useful for the majority of users with big projects, and should be part of the default cycle. But honestly, what's the point of super-collapsed? Especially over a hidden option.
Old 09-26-2019, 10:39 AM   #7
nofish

Quote:
I know some people are making supercollapsed children invisible by setting the TCP height to 0.
That seems potentially dangerous (if it hasn't changed meanwhile):
https://forum.cockos.com/showpost.ph...45&postcount=4
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 04:14 PM   #8
Blankfiles

I'm not yet studying version 6 in the Tcp section
but version 5 if you want to make disappear you just have to replace the value has 0

Walter
tcp_heights 0 28 46 60 ; supercollapsed, collapsed, small(norecarm), recarm size

that the way i use..,maybe there another way but that work fine
From what I've seen to date codes in version 6 they are much more complete with more macro ect but with a little time spent reading them I'm starting to understand but there is a huge work done by WT that brings us to new horizon Nice work done here
Old 09-27-2019, 06:51 AM   #9
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

Setting supercollapsed heights to zero is one of those things that seems, and probably is, fine if you understand it. However, it is extremely dangerous to anyone who doesn't ...which understandably is probably the case for almost all users.

A zero height track is still a track. Unlike a hidden track, it and its contents are entirely interactive, though by being zero pixels high there is no visual representation of any interaction. There are dozens of ways this could inadvertently lead a user into lots of real-world trouble that could mess up their project/session/reputation/coffee.

The goal to hide child tracks interactively is an appealing one, and I applaud any and all hacks that get get good things done! However, the cost on this one is non-obvious (by definition) and severe, and so I would ask that whenever it is discussed everyone takes great pains to point out the dangers. Someone could, in good faith, google their way to the wrong thread and start doing things they will almost certainly regret.
Old 09-27-2019, 10:56 AM   #10
Herr Nox

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Tie View Post
Setting supercollapsed heights to zero is one of those things that seems, and probably is, fine if you understand it. However, it is extremely dangerous to anyone who doesn't ...which understandably is probably the case for almost all users.

A zero height track is still a track. Unlike a hidden track, it and its contents are entirely interactive, though by being zero pixels high there is no visual representation of any interaction. There are dozens of ways this could inadvertently lead a user into lots of real-world trouble that could mess up their project/session/reputation/coffee.

The goal to hide child tracks interactively is an appealing one, and I applaud any and all hacks that get get good things done! However, the cost on this one is non-obvious (by definition) and severe, and so I would ask that whenever it is discussed everyone takes great pains to point out the dangers. Someone could, in good faith, google their way to the wrong thread and start doing things they will almost certainly regret.
Thanks for the info WT. Do you happen to know why the super-collapsed state exists? As in, what are the devs' motivations behind this actual state over a hidden state? Or maybe it's simply a limitation of the code that they have to work with (I'm not a coder, so it's only hypothetical here).
Old 09-27-2019, 04:40 PM   #11
Reflected

Quote:
Not possible by a theme afaik, possible by scripting:
https://forum.cockos.com/showpost.ph...15&postcount=8

thanks!!!