Old 06-01-2022, 12:24 PM   #1
hexSPA
Human being with feelings

Default Automation Buffer

Hi. I tried to automate a reverse function in XLN Audio’s XO but observed strange behavior. The plugin would sometimes play the sample forward then backward or not reverse it but instead reverse a subsequent sample. I tried this with a four-on-the-floor kick in a 1-measure loop with automation that was created using a grid-snapped time selection (shelf curve).

The way I was able to work around this is by setting the delay media items function in the routing dialog to about 200 samples. When I contacted XLN about this, they said that it’s due to reaper’s automation timing being related to buffer size. They suggested that I move the automation earlier. Actually, I think using the previous option is more convenient. Anyway, they told me I could post about it so here I am.

To tack on, I’ve had troubles with reaper’s automation with other VSTs as well but nothing I can state in a concrete way beyond that it happens towards the end of a mix with a lot of sidechain, parallel and nested routing.

I’m already ankle deep in troubleshooting other software but I’m open to any suggestions. Thanks.
hexSPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 05:07 AM   #2
airon

Quote:
Originally Posted by hexSPA View Post
Hi. I tried to automate a reverse function in XLN Audio’s XO but observed strange behavior. The plugin would sometimes play the sample forward then backward or not reverse it but instead reverse a subsequent sample. I tried this with a four-on-the-floor kick in a 1-measure loop with automation that was created using a grid-snapped time selection (shelf curve).

The way I was able to work around this is by setting the delay media items function in the routing dialog to about 200 samples. When I contacted XLN about this, they said that it’s due to reaper’s automation timing being related to buffer size. They suggested that I move the automation earlier. Actually, I think using the previous option is more convenient. Anyway, they told me I could post about it so here I am.

To tack on, I’ve had troubles with reaper’s automation with other VSTs as well but nothing I can state in a concrete way beyond that it happens towards the end of a mix with a lot of sidechain, parallel and nested routing.

I’m already ankle deep in troubleshooting other software but I’m open to any suggestions. Thanks.
I've had some troubles like that as well. Minor things that worked less well in a loop, but fine when played with some lead up to the trouble spot.

VST3 plugins can implement sample accurate automation, which Reaper supports. Other than that it's block sized, so that's probably the culprit.

It may be that the block alignment works fine for the start of the loop but kind fucks up at the end of the loop. Reapers handling of this problem may need some refinement, but it also requires a lot of work from us users investigating and testing the conditions under which this problem occurs. That's the hard part. If we're lucky the Justing and Schwa can fix it by themselves.

Can you post an example ? I have the XO plugin as well and it's likely Justin and Schwa can get or already have a copy for dev purposes.
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2022, 06:18 AM   #3
hexSPA

Thanks for your reply. Next time I talk to support, I'll mention sample rate automation to them. I've attached here the same project which I sent to XLN who were then able to observe similar behavior. Cheers.
Attached Files
File Type: zip 20220524-other-xo-reverse-reaper-issue.zip (9.6 KB, 65 views)
hexSPA is offline   Reply With Quote