Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Music/Collaboration Discussion

Old 06-02-2022, 04:53 PM   #1
GoldenDeathMusic
Human being with feelings

Default First song in a few years...GDM - Dead Melodies (psych rock/post punk)

So all this was done in Reaper by me. All electric guitars/bass are direct going through a Behringer Superfuzz into a Zen Go interface into Kuassa Amplifikation 360. Drums are Superior Drummer 3 with the Legacy of Rock expansion. Synth is a hardware Behringer K2 running into Valhalla Supermassive. Organ sound is Air Music DB-33. Outro acoustic lead part is a Colombian instrument called a Tiple. Hope someone out there enjoys!

https://goldendeathmusic.bandcamp.co.../dead-melodies
Old 06-03-2022, 01:38 AM   #2
zeekat

Hell yeah supermassive. Really nice smooth sound, that little synth lick makes it.
Old 06-03-2022, 04:40 AM   #3
Cosmic

CHOOOOOOOOOOOOOON!
Old 06-03-2022, 11:43 AM   #4
msundh

Well the song is REALLY GREAT!!!
But I don't understand previous comments not mentioned that the vocal is completely buried.
In that regard the mix is really bad.
Old 06-03-2022, 12:08 PM   #5
zeekat

Do I look like someone who knows things about mixing vocals? But yeah, it's buried, I just considered it an another layer in the thing I guess. I like layer soups, so doesn't sound off to me.
Old 06-03-2022, 01:03 PM   #6
msundh

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeekat View Post
Do I look like someone who knows things about mixing vocals? But yeah, it's buried, I just considered it an another layer in the thing I guess. I like layer soups, so doesn't sound off to me.
You're crazy
Old 06-03-2022, 08:10 PM   #7
GoldenDeathMusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by msundh View Post
Well the song is REALLY GREAT!!!
But I don't understand previous comments not mentioned that the vocal is completely buried.
In that regard the mix is really bad.
yeah, I will probably raise the vocals a few DBs when I revisit it before the the "official" release. you're definitely not the first person to mention it. I do go for more of a shoe-gazey sound sometimes though with my own music, so don't always mix the voice quite as loud as in traditional pop music. Anyway, I sincerely appreciate the listen and honest feedback more than you know!
All the best to you and your own music
Old 06-03-2022, 08:11 PM   #8
GoldenDeathMusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeekat View Post
Hell yeah supermassive. Really nice smooth sound, that little synth lick makes it.
yeah, probably my favorite free VST of all time, and it just works so well with synths. Thanks so much for listening, my friend!
Old 06-03-2022, 08:15 PM   #9
GoldenDeathMusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic View Post
CHOOOOOOOOOOOOOON!
thanks for listening! I've been struggling to get things done these days so even single words of encouragement help motivate me. All the best to you.
Old 06-05-2022, 12:25 PM   #10
GoldenDeathMusic

raised the voice a tiny bit, thanks to your feedback. In general though, I like it to be loud enough so the lyrics are understandable but not necessarily way out front like in some pop music. Regardless, I'll still probably go back when I finish my other songs and remix it a bit...probably add a bit more compression to the vocals. Thanks again for listening...I appreciate it so much honestly it's a bit sad haha
Old 06-06-2022, 11:15 PM   #11
jacksoonbrowne

This is only my subjective analysis:

Love the tune, but it could sound much better if not "awesome" IMHO if:
  • The guitars are a tad loud throughout maybe some volume automation. IE: step in step out
  • Vocal could be a bit louder.
  • Drums IMHO are buried way to much. Need some snap and punch
  • With the changes above the Bass volume/tone could be adjusted to fit with the drums.

PS: I sent you a PM

Last edited by jacksoonbrowne; 06-06-2022 at 11:26 PM.
jacksoonbrowne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 02:01 AM   #12
Pashkuli
Banned

Mix a bit boomy, heavy on the low mids.
Some dist guitar quite basic, but the songs seems catchy.
Pashkuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 07:35 AM   #13
GoldenDeathMusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksoonbrowne View Post
This is only my subjective analysis:

Love the tune, but it could sound much better if not "awesome" IMHO if:
  • The guitars are a tad loud throughout maybe some volume automation. IE: step in step out
  • Vocal could be a bit louder.
  • Drums IMHO are buried way to much. Need some snap and punch
  • With the changes above the Bass volume/tone could be adjusted to fit with the drums.

PS: I sent you a PM
thanks for the feedback! replied to your PM. It's definitely still a rough mix and without any kind of mastering so I do plan on revisiting it, but I look forward to seeing what you can do with it!
Old 06-07-2022, 07:36 AM   #14
GoldenDeathMusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pashkuli View Post
Mix a bit boomy, heavy on the low mids.
Some dist guitar quite basic, but the songs seems catchy.
thank you very much for listening and for the feedback! I'm definitely going to be revisiting it once I finish some other stuff. Wanted to give it a bit more time and then get back to it to see how it sounded..you know the deal. All the best to you and your own stuff!
Old 06-07-2022, 08:55 AM   #15
smueske

Really enjoyed this piece. Beautiful, quirky, and thoroughly unique.
smueske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 09:22 AM   #16
GoldenDeathMusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by smueske View Post
Really enjoyed this piece. Beautiful, quirky, and thoroughly unique.
thank you so much! As I'm sure many artists do, I go through periods of severe ups and downs where even a song I was really into one week I completely hate the next. This was definitely one of them, and it was in my recycle bin pretty much up until a week or so ago when I took another listen and found it more redeemable than I had originally thought. I truly appreciate you listening, taking the time to comment, and am very happy you enjoyed it!
Old 06-15-2022, 04:10 PM   #17
41TWIN

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE the song. Very well written, sung played, and recorded. Good sounds man.

I do think it's maybe a TINY bit too much low end or woofy. Maybe? And I'm the opposite, I mix like and like pop songs, so.... But your approach fits the song and feel. I wouldn't mind hearing them (vocals and drums as mentioned) a hair more but I mean, it's good. That's kind of a personal preference thing. And it's REALLY good.

Catchy, real, good art, IMHO. Maybe a bit creepy, the lyrics. LOL. Which is sometimes a good thing... ??? Maybe? ???? Not in mixed company? IDK.....

Thanks for sharing!!!!
41TWIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 09:50 PM   #18
GoldenDeathMusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 41TWIN View Post
LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE the song. Very well written, sung played, and recorded. Good sounds man.

I do think it's maybe a TINY bit too much low end or woofy. Maybe? And I'm the opposite, I mix like and like pop songs, so.... But your approach fits the song and feel. I wouldn't mind hearing them (vocals and drums as mentioned) a hair more but I mean, it's good. That's kind of a personal preference thing. And it's REALLY good.

Catchy, real, good art, IMHO. Maybe a bit creepy, the lyrics. LOL. Which is sometimes a good thing... ??? Maybe? ???? Not in mixed company? IDK.....

Thanks for sharing!!!!
hey, thanks so much for listening and I truly appreciate the feedback! I am thrilled you like it. Yeah, I hear that about the low end, as I cut it way less than I usually do on my songs. I'm going to revisit it some time in the near future but I still need a bit more time before I have the energy to do so as I'm still in the "I've listened to this damn thing 1000 times already" frame of mind. I also didn't reference it on a bunch of different speakers like I usually do, but regardless I will certainly keep that in mind when I go back to it - thank you! And yeah, haha, creepy is probably the best compliment you could give me regarding the lyrics. I was trying to write it from the perspective of a kind of emotionally abusive narcissistic person...either that or it's kind of a metaphor for drug addiction...I don't know... Usually the more upbeat the instruments sound to me, the more messed up I try to make the lyrics; I've always liked that kind of juxtaposition. Anyway, thanks again. It's been a bit of a rough week and knowing someone out there appreciates what I'm doing is always a boost. All the best to you and your own music.
Old 06-24-2022, 01:06 PM   #19
41TWIN

i feel you on having rough weeks with music. i dont have a month or song where im not overanalyzing the mix and the why of it all. it makes it nice if a song i wrote and recorded brighten someones day. or makes it interesting. and they say so.

Keep at it. i like hearing everyones stuff. i like some more than others but i respect everyones!!!!
41TWIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 10:53 PM   #20
GoldenDeathMusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 41TWIN View Post
i feel you on having rough weeks with music. i dont have a month or song where im not overanalyzing the mix and the why of it all. it makes it nice if a song i wrote and recorded brighten someones day. or makes it interesting. and they say so.

Keep at it. i like hearing everyones stuff. i like some more than others but i respect everyones!!!!

oh yeah, for sure. over the years I have gotten more positive feedback and, unbelievably, people that have told me I have made a positive impact in their lives than I ever thought possible. Of course at the end of the day I only really remember that one guy on myspace like 15 years ago who told me I sucked haha.
Old 06-30-2022, 11:51 AM   #21
redddog

Great song.

I think the vox sits perfect. Not every song has to have vox in your face. Think it very much sits right.

Kinda early Pete Yorn-ish.

Super dig it.
redddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 03:23 PM   #22
Broken Glass Audio

I really dig the tune!

The vocals are a little burried, but I don't feel like they need to be louder, perhaps some EQ on the other instruments to clear they way for them come through a little more. The drum/bass relationship could be a little more cohesive and less boomy as others have said.

If you wanted another take on it, I'd be happy to do a mix Au Gratis. Feel free to drop me a PM if you are interested.
Broken Glass Audio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 09:34 AM   #23
GoldenDeathMusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broken Glass Audio View Post
I really dig the tune!

The vocals are a little burried, but I don't feel like they need to be louder, perhaps some EQ on the other instruments to clear they way for them come through a little more. The drum/bass relationship could be a little more cohesive and less boomy as others have said.

If you wanted another take on it, I'd be happy to do a mix Au Gratis. Feel free to drop me a PM if you are interested.
yeah, I am definitely going to revisit it. Probably will change the guitar sims from amplifikation 360 over to overloud which I've found sounds more "real" and also gives everything else in the mix more room to breath. I've also started using different plugins on my drum bus since finishing this iteration of the song, and they definitely sound more solid and just better in general now. I'm looking forward to revisiting it with these changes in mind, but it's still going to be a little while as I want to finish a few other things before I do. I am definitely interested in hearing your take on it, and will let you know when I have the stems ready. Someone else also offered a while back, but I have taken a long time in getting the stems ready due to being busy with other things.
Old 07-02-2022, 09:37 AM   #24
GoldenDeathMusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by redddog View Post
Great song.

I think the vox sits perfect. Not every song has to have vox in your face. Think it very much sits right.

Kinda early Pete Yorn-ish.

Super dig it.
glad you like it! yeah, it's interesting to get different people's perspectives on mixes. I've never been one to like vocals way up front, more prefer them just as kind of another instrument as opposed to the main focal point, especially when I put just as much effort into all the other instruments. Regardless, I know there is definitely room for improvement, as the other songs I've mixed since this one sound better in general, so it's just a matter of applying the same techniques I used on those. Anyway, I truly appreciate you listening and am thrilled you like it!
Old 07-02-2022, 11:56 AM   #25
Finow79

Really nice dusty sounding!

Could´nt belive that drums are SD3 - great!

Some higher Vocals could be layered under?
Finow79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 12:16 PM   #26
GoldenDeathMusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finow79 View Post
Really nice dusty sounding!

Could´nt belive that drums are SD3 - great!

Some higher Vocals could be layered under?
yeah, it took me a while to find an expansion pack I really liked the sound of but once I found Legacy of Rock I knew that was the one for me. I really can't imagine the drums sounding more to my liking without using an actual kit (especially in the songs I've done since this one, now that I'm processing them a bit differently), and having that level of quality is definitely inspiring overall. It's just so much better than Addictive Drums 2 sound quality wise, which I was using for the last 7 years or so. Certainly a worthwhile investment.

There actually are some higher vocals layered under there, but they are mixed pretty low as I was using a super cheap microphone in a bad environment and they didn't sound the greatest. I will keep your idea in mind when I go back to touch it up and see what I can do with them. Glad you enjoyed the song and thanks so much for listening! All the best to you and your own music.