Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for Linux

Old 11-14-2022, 08:09 AM   #1
Blad
Human being with feelings

Default Has any progress been made in regards to the drag and drop issues in linux?

This is an issue has been going on for a long time now, I am just wondering if any progress has been made.
Blad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2022, 08:11 AM   #2
vitalker

If it is a bug, you should report it on bug reports forum:

https://forum.cockos.com/forumdisplay.php?f=22
vitalker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2022, 08:57 AM   #3
Blad

Yes I have. It is a known bug, it's been known for quite a while now I think. That is why I'm asking about progress here.
Old 11-14-2022, 08:58 AM   #4
vitalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blad View Post
Yes I have. It is a known bug, it's been known for quite a while now I think. That is why I'm asking about progress here.
Then you should ask about it in that thread. Who are you waiting here for?
vitalker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2022, 09:03 AM   #5
Blad

Whoever can answer the question. I'm fine with where I asked it, thanks
Old 11-14-2022, 09:04 AM   #6
Glennbo

If you are referring to Windows plugins, running in WINE, not drag-n-dropping stuff into REAPER running in Linux, that isn't a bug.

It's a matter of WINE and Linux see the world of storage media from radically different perspectives, such that a Windows plugin running in WINE doesn't see the Linux drive so the temporary file that is used in dragging-n-dropping lands in the wrong place, which isn't REAPER's doing.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2022, 09:07 AM   #7
Blad

No, that's not what I'm talking about. I'm sorry, I was told this is a known issue.

I am talking about native linux plugins in reaper linux that support drag and drop, that do not work properly because reaper fx window eats the drop.

Here's the bug report:

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread....93#post2613293

I did not intend for this thread to be a bug report however. I intended this to be a discussion about the progress of that specific issue, so that is why I felt it more apt to ask here.

Last edited by Blad; 11-14-2022 at 09:12 AM. Reason: To elaborate
Old 11-14-2022, 09:58 AM   #8
Glennbo

Quote:
No, that's not what I'm talking about. I'm sorry, I was told this is a known issue.

I am talking about native linux plugins in reaper linux that support drag and drop, that do not work properly because reaper fx window eats the drop.

Here's the bug report:

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread....93#post2613293

I did not intend for this thread to be a bug report however. I intended this to be a discussion about the progress of that specific issue, so that is why I felt it more apt to ask here.
The workaround there wouldn't appeal to me either. Sounds like the same issue people have with things like EZ-Drummer for Windows, except someone here wrote a script that sees the temporary file, and moves it where REAPER will find it. That was before Yabridge handled drag-n-drop natively, but the script might be able to be modified for Surge or other native Linux plugins.
Old 11-14-2022, 11:08 AM   #9
Blad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennbo View Post
The workaround there wouldn't appeal to me either. Sounds like the same issue people have with things like EZ-Drummer for Windows, except someone here wrote a script that sees the temporary file, and moves it where REAPER will find it. That was before Yabridge handled drag-n-drop natively, but the script might be able to be modified for Surge or other native Linux plugins.
And in fact the work around doesn't even work for me. It's as I said there, I understand fixes can take time but it's been like a year and I see several other reports. It's a bit frustrating that it's still an ongoing issue that hasn't even been officially acknowledged(as far as I know).

Last edited by Blad; 11-14-2022 at 11:09 AM. Reason: the stuff in paratheses.
Old 11-14-2022, 11:27 AM   #10
elcalen

I have never been able to drag-and-drop between REAPER's media explorer and any third-party plugins. I feel like I must have written about it on the forums before, but I honestly don't remember... Luckily any samplers I frequently use have decent built-in file browsers, so it hasn't been a huge issue for me, but still, would be neat if it actually worked.

I don't know if this is specifically a REAPER issue, though. I recall having similar issues with other DAWs I've tested... (Of course it *could* also be an issue with the specific plugins I've tried, hard to say.)
Old 11-14-2022, 11:47 AM   #11
Glennbo

I just tried dragging and dropping some small .wav files from REAPER's Media Browser onto Surge, and while it looked like something might have happened, nothing changed in Surge.

Then I did a search for the file name I was trying to drag onto Surge, and sure enough the file had been copied into the REAPER project, but not linked up in Surge at all.
Old 11-14-2022, 01:24 PM   #12
Charango

Quote:
This is an issue has been going on for a long time now, I am just wondering if any progress has been made.
While you are on this subject, what about dragging an audio file into Reaper from the desktop or from any folder for that matter? Does that work for anyone? It doesn't work here in Ubuntu 22.04, a bit of a PITA, actually.

I know the workaround of course, I can either:
1. Open "Insert/Media file" and import it
2. Open Media Explorer and import it
3. Right-click on the file and choose "Open with Reaper"

It would be great if this could work!
Charango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2022, 01:40 PM   #13
Xasman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charango View Post
...what about dragging an audio file into Reaper from the desktop or from any folder for that matter? Does that work for anyone?
Dragging an audio file from Dolphin onto REAPER's arrange area works fine here (on Manjaro with REAPER 6.69).
Xasman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2022, 01:55 PM   #14
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xasman View Post
Dragging an audio file from Dolphin onto REAPER's arrange area works fine here (on Manjaro with REAPER 6.69).
I drag .wav and .mp3 files from Thunar into REAPER tracks all the time to tweak them, and that works for me in Manjaro.

Also I thought from trying to drag a .wav onto Surge that the file got copied into the current project, but that seems not to be the case. I must have double clicked the .wav in REAPER's Media Explorer which does seem to copy the file, but dragging one onto Surge does not.
Old 11-14-2022, 03:15 PM   #15
Charango

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xasman View Post
I just found the solution! I forgot that Ubuntu 22.04 uses Wayland as its default display server and for some reason it doesn't work. I switched back to
xorg and it's working again, yay!!!!
Charango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2022, 03:37 PM   #16
elcalen

Yup, dragging external files to the timeline does work for me, I actually tested that recently. The issues I have is with dragging anything into third-party plugins, such as samplers.

(Edit: for what it's worth, I'm on Gnome/X11.)

Last edited by elcalen; 11-14-2022 at 03:54 PM.
elcalen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2022, 11:08 PM   #17
biopsin

Draging file from SpaceFM locksup Reaper, the whole Reaper window just turns black without any console messages..
Old 11-15-2022, 12:47 AM   #18
Xasman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charango View Post
I just found the solution! I forgot that Ubuntu 22.04 uses Wayland as its default display server and for some reason it doesn't work. I switched back to
xorg and it's working again, yay!!!!
Ah yes, that would explain it. Glad you found the cause of the problem.
Xasman is online now   Reply With Quote