Old 07-18-2015, 10:50 AM   #1
martifingers
Human being with feelings

Default REAPER for live performance

Hi, can anyone help with this techie question about REAPER for live performance.
Our band's flute player also uses an EWI controller. He has REAPER running with two tracks each with a different VSTi and mutes one or the other (with the mouse) to change instruments.
What he would like to do is:
1. Use the EWI to change instruments
2. Also be able to trigger a percussion sample

I am guessing this will need some scripting with MIDI ? I am also not totally convinced we are starting off the right way with this muting tracks business. If it helps he has Garritan which is running as one of the VSTi's.
Anyone able to assist?
martifingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 12:11 PM   #2
viscofisy

Maybe changing instruments and triggering samples are better achieved by using a midi footswitch or USB keyboard/controller.
viscofisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 12:45 PM   #3
mschnell

I extremely happily use Reaper for live performance.

With a Master-keyboard:
- I use several native Instruments Kontakt based Sample instruments, sometimes multiple of them at the same time with keyboard split or two keyboards
- I use "DEXED" based Synthesizer instruments with multiple instances in a single FX chain and enhanced by several effects

- I did used SWAM "Flutes" by Sample modeling with a WX7 Midi Wind controller

- I now use the Futes with a TEC BBC breath ("and Bite") controller plus a keyboards.

I use the SMS "LiveConfig" to be able to use the keyboard buttons to change the sound (I upgraded the pdf original document on LiveConfig to explaining how to do this, as without additional tweaking LiveConfig does not react to midi Program Change.) LiveConfig works by muting (and modifying) tracks and provides an editable List to the user that contains a "Line" for each selectable "sound".

I did some Midi programming using JSFX plugins to allow for additional stuff. (like routing program change messages from multiple midi channels and adding a sub-octave)

I in fact don't understand what exactly you are trying to accomplish, but I am positive that it is possible with Reaper.

-Michael
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 01:29 PM   #4
martifingers

Thanks for the replies. As the ewi has a "bite" control it would be more convenient to use that. I don't fully understand what's involved but will look into the SMS Liveconfig as it sounds promising.
I may be back when I get lost!
martifingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 01:42 PM   #5
mschnell

While this is possible with Reaper (using some tricks) it would be a shame to abuse the bite force sensor for changing sounds. Same can be do a lot better work for controlling continuous sound expression parameters such as Pitchbend, vibrato depth or growl amount (I did test this with the Flutes, as well with the TEC BBC as with the WX7).

I suppose the EVI does provide some button functions for changing "programs". I would use those.

Alternatively you can use JSFX programming to convert e.g. very low or very high notes to be program change messages.

-Michael
Old 07-18-2015, 01:52 PM   #6
MrBongo

what about custom actions?

use any two MIDI gadgets that are not in use for playing.

set up a Reaper session with the two tracks, both available for recording.

use the following action on each of the unused MIDI messages:

- (mute all tracks) <= not always necessary, but saves CPU
- unarm all tracks for recording
- toggle mute for track XX
- toggle record for track XX
MrBongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 03:03 PM   #7
BeatPsychic

One easy way to do it would be to put each instrument in a separate project tab. The instrument automatically changes when you switch tabs. You could set up an action in the action list (just search for "switch"), I believe there are some sws actions for switching project tabs. Then your only thing to do is binding the EWI keypress to the action(which I'm personally unfamiliar with, but I do know one of the worlds most knowledgeable experts on everything EWI if you'd like me to ask?)
Old 07-18-2015, 03:51 PM   #8
t_muraoka

It seems a bit odd using Reaper for this. I do a lot of live performance with a WX5 and I use Ableton. Controlling it via MIDI is very easy - it's what it's designed to do - while Reaper is primarily a tool for recording.

I use a foot controller to trigger various things e.g. switching between different sections of a song, turning tracks on and off, and also I've set up special notes on the WX5 to do things e.g. trigger samples.

It sounds like it wouldn't be a huge amount of work for your friend to change software, and it might be a good thing over the longer term - I do some pretty funky stuff with my setup
Old 07-19-2015, 12:44 AM   #9
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by t_muraoka View Post
It seems a bit odd using Reaper for this. I do a lot of live performance with a WX5 and I use Ableton.
Ableton Live seems to be designed to support loop-based music (live performance and creating).

As I hate loop-based music I never took a deeper look at it.

Of course there are many tools that are designed for live performance (e.g. also Forte, Cantabile, RackPerformer, Mainstage, NYRV, ... <and of course Muse Receptor> )

The nice thing about Reaper (besides the excellent price/performance Ratio) is that you don't need to use two different tools (nearly any computer aware musician will want to do multitrack recording and mixing) and that reaper is programmable to a much higher extent than any other tool for this purpose, allowing you to do really sophisticated stuff without buying and installing more even tools.

Before I was pointed to Reaper by a live-sax player who uses it with a WX5 and multiple "wind" VST (most by Sample Modeling), I considered a combination of Forte, VSTBridge and Bome Midi Translator. But I am much happier with "all in one" Reaper.

BTW.: When "on Stage", the PC I am using is not connected to a Monitor, mouse or PC keyboards and the only user-software that is running is Reaper.

-Michael

Last edited by mschnell; 07-19-2015 at 02:45 AM.
Old 07-19-2015, 03:43 AM   #10
t_muraoka

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
Ableton Live seems to be designed to support loop-based music (live performance and creating).
Yes, but that doesn't mean that's how you have to use it My point was that Reaper is an excellent tool for recording, because that's what it was primarily designed for, Ableton is an excellent tool for live performance, for the same reason. The OP was looking for some way to easily trigger things via MIDI - in Abelton, you just select the thing you want to happen, then play the MIDI note you want to trigger it - doesn't get much easier than that.

Quote:
As I hate loop-based music I never took a deeper look at it.
Me too, but my live show is jazz, blues, pop, and yes, even a bit of EDM For example, I'll take something as simple as a plain old backing track, slice up each chorus and loop them. Using a MIDI foot controller, I can then switch between the A and B sections of a song when I feel like it, and trigger the final chorus (with the ending) when I want to finish. Works well for something like "So What", where I can switch between the A and B sections when I feel like it, but even for a simple AABA song, it's liberating to be able to finish the song when I'm ready, not when the MP3 has run out. I can also mess around with the form if I feel like it e.g. play 2 B sections in a row :shrug:

More complicated, I'll build up an entire song from samples. For example, this is about as far from EDM as you can get, and was created solely using samples. My performance sucks but you can see me triggering the various parts of the song with the foot controller. I also use it to change instruments on the WX5, and a Lexicon delay/reverb unit that has been programmed to match each instrument I use. I'm also wireless, so I'm usually bopping away in the crowd while I'm playing, although I have to rush back to the stage any time I need to do something with the foot controller Lots of fun

I've been meaning to write up a tutorial on how I set all of this up; it's half-done so maybe later this year...

Last edited by t_muraoka; 07-19-2015 at 03:52 AM.
t_muraoka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 01:40 PM   #11
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by t_muraoka View Post
My performance sucks
Not at all! ( I like more performing with fellow musicians, though. )

-Michael
Old 07-19-2015, 02:10 PM   #12
t_muraoka

Quote:
Not at all!
Thanks. I was in a bit of rush when I did those videos, and it shows :|

Quote:
I like more performing with fellow musicians, though
Me too; I played with bands as well, using the WX5 e.g. if you squint real hard, you can see me lurking in the shadows here.

But I also wanted to play around with the technology and see what I could do with a one-man show. It was pretty cool and I ended up being able to some nifty stuff (e.g running multiple software loopers in Ableton and building up an entire song using different instruments on the WX5), but people just saw it as some guy playing to backing tracks

And running a bar isn't cheap, so it saved me a bit of money as well. Musicians are so expensive!