Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Feature Requests

Old 06-30-2019, 05:28 PM   #1
Nathannn
Human being with feelings

Default A back up sytem like Ableton live has in case of power outages or crashes

When Ableton Live crashes or the power goes out you do not lose your work. When opening Live up after an outage Ableton Live prompts you with

'Your last session quit unexpectedly would you like to restore your session'

You click yes and everything is restored.. all plugins and all data.

It is such a robust system that I have shut my computer down on many occasions without saving and Live is always able to restore the project.
Nathannn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 01:37 AM   #2
blumpy

Default Auto-save

The autosave feature in reaper is spectacular. Mine is set up autobackup every 3 minutes when stopped, though you can do it while playing or only when not recording.

You can also create a separate backup copy every time I hit save.

I do both. On for archival in the event I need to go back to a certain time and the other for crashes.

Photo attached from reaper preferences
Attached Images
File Type: png Annotation 2019-07-01 013303.png (45.0 KB, 221 views)
blumpy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 08:16 AM   #3
Nathannn

I have the same settings but I think reaper asking to restore the set after an outage is just another added precaution.
Nathannn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 08:33 AM   #4
mrlimbic

It would be relatively easy for reaper to do recovery the same way that DP does. I assume that's what live does too?

Use any undo save history after the last save to rebuild the project to later state.

I think this should happen automatically if you have save undo history turned on.

Maybe with a popup like "You have undo history later than last save. Do you want to redo these actions?"

This approach seems much more lightweight than saving backup of entire project with every action.

EDIT: Just looked inside an undo history file. It looks like changes are not timestamped. They would need to be for my suggested approach to work.

Last edited by mrlimbic; 07-01-2019 at 08:49 AM.
mrlimbic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 08:46 AM   #5
PACStudio

Default Postcrash autorecovery

I agree with mrlimbic: postcrash autorecovery should be automatic using any undo save history after the last save to rebuild the project to later state.

I hope this feature will be implemented ASAP.
PACStudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 08:55 AM   #6
tikihorea

I agree as well: this is hugely important and a true project-saver. And a frustration-saver. And a money-saver, in some cases. And a REAPER-appreciation-increaser.
tikihorea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 12:55 PM   #7
JRTaylorMusic

Pretty much the only thing I really like about Ableton (in terms of finding qualitative superiority) is the way it automatically detects if a more recent auto-save exists and asks if you'd like to open the more recent version.

I just had an issue where I had 3 tabs open, 2 of where were subprojects, and REAPER crashed (not REAPER's fault, totally unrelated cause). Rather than hunt down the most recent backup and manually determine which is more recent, it sure would be nice to have such an automated query.
JRTaylorMusic is offline   Reply With Quote