Old 05-19-2022, 08:27 AM   #1
smoochdaddy
Human being with feelings

Default Don't Know What its called- New Here

Hello, I am new. I recorded an audio take just after bar one and not between bar two. I want to move the left side of the audio clip, by the handles of the mouse, but it only repeats the midi or audio that I just created. If I wanted to move this audio clip to the left to then make it easier to line up, if I decided to move it to say bar 16.
Basically, how do the record and audio clip, and if it does not start on the beat, move the left side of the audio clip to line up to the left side bar, or stretch the audio clip to go as far to the left that I need, without repeating it, or stretching the audio clip that I just recorded?

Thanks in advance,

Lou
smoochdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 07:02 PM   #2
bigtop

https://www.reaper.fm/videos.php#6yTQ-31opp8

Basic editing in REAPER

Perhaps this will help
Old 05-19-2022, 07:30 PM   #3
foxAsteria

Open item properties and disable "loop source." There are also settings regarding looped items in prefs/project/media item defaults.
Old 05-20-2022, 04:22 AM   #4
bolgwrad

Stretch an item by Alt+dragging the edge (or Mac equiv)
Old 05-20-2022, 10:42 AM   #5
foxAsteria

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolgwrad View Post
Stretch an item by Alt+dragging the edge (or Mac equiv)
But the OP wants to "stretch it...without stretching it."
Old 05-20-2022, 11:43 AM   #6
oneammonday

Go to the Reaper home page and at the top on the right is a link to Kenny Gioia's vids. EVERYTHING you would need or want to know about Reaper is there. That's how I know anything about Reaper.
oneammonday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 03:29 PM   #7
bolgwrad

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxAsteria View Post
But the OP wants to "stretch it...without stretching it."
Stretching my ability to understand it
Old 05-21-2022, 03:45 PM   #8
spantini

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoochdaddy View Post
Hello, I am new. I recorded an audio take just after bar one and not between bar two.... If I wanted to move this audio clip to the left to then make it easier to line up, if I decided to move it to say bar 16...

Lou
This is confusing - "..just after bar one.. move this audio clip to the left (???) .. to say bar 16 (??)"

.. or maybe I'm dyslexic (??)

To slide it over (left or right), move the mouse over the item in the track screen (not the head or tail as you're doing now) and press and hold the left mouse button - then slide away. If Snap is enabled, it will snap to the nearest grid mark. Disable Snap to position it between the lines (grid marks).
spantini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 05:23 AM   #9
smoochdaddy

I guess what I'm saying is if I record a clip, how do I move the left side of the clip I recorded to line up with the earlier bar? Meaning if I'm recording something and I want to extend the left handle of the clip I recorded,it only repeats or it time stretches. I cannot make it so it lines up on the left side bar line before without repeating or stretching the clip. And what I'm talking about is not physically moving the clip but extending the clip of the clip. Basically extending the clips itself not moving the clips.

Lou
Old 05-22-2022, 12:27 PM   #10
oneammonday

As near as I can figure, you would like the front end of the media item to start at a grid line so that you can move it around and stay in sync with the tempo. First, do like fox Asteria suggested and open item properties and disable "loop source". Then hover your mouse over the front of the item and you'll see what looks like a left bracket with an arrow pointing left and right. If you have snapping turned on and you click and drag that arrow/bracket thingy to the left or right it will extend or shorten the item snapping to the closest grid line. I hope that is what you're looking for. Another way is to use snap offset by hovering your mouse over the left bottom corner of the item till you see the same arrow pointing left and right but without the bracket looking thing. If you click and drag that to the right, it will put a little notch type thing at the bottom of the item that will snap to a grid line. Then you can move or copy the item and that little notch snaps to grid lines so you can stay in sync with the tempo. Good luck and have fun.
oneammonday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 12:33 PM   #11
tweezer

It's really not clear what you are trying to achieve. The only way you can make an existing clip longer without stretching or repeating is by creating an empty item and gluing that and the audio clip together AFAIK. The empty item part will be just that though. Empty.
This part is particularly obscure "I recorded an audio take just after bar one and not between bar two." Just after bar one is bar two.

If you want the start of the recording to line up exactly with a bar line, turn off snapping (the magnet icon on the toolbar) then slide the clip to the left until the start of the waveform lines up with the bar line. Don't drag the edge of the clip. Click on the middle of it and drag it. Zooming in will help make positioning more precise.
Once you've done that, turn snapping back on, position the mouse on the bar line and press S on the keyboard to split it. You can now copy that clip to anywhere you like.
I'm still not sure that's what you're trying to achieve but I hope that helps.
tweezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 12:38 PM   #12
foxAsteria

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoochdaddy View Post
I cannot make it so it lines up on the left side bar line before without repeating or stretching the clip. And what I'm talking about is not physically moving the clip but extending the clip of the clip. Basically extending the clips itself not moving the clips.

Lou
I thought I already answered that but let me try again...disable loop source in item properties and simply drag the edge to where you want. Right click the magnet icon on your main toolbar to access your snap options and turn it on to make it easy to align edges of media items to the grid.

You should really have a look at the user guide as well. It will, if nothing else, give you the proper terms search and to ask questions on the forum so that no one has to guess what you mean.

And if you don't want to use looping at all, turn off the loop options in preferences/project/media item defaults.

Last edited by foxAsteria; 05-22-2022 at 12:45 PM.
foxAsteria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 03:12 PM   #13
smoochdaddy

Default Thank You

Thank you, that Fixed it!! You Rock!!.. I am new to reaper and you all are so helpful!!!

Thanks you so kindly,

Lou