Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 05-19-2022, 05:57 PM   #1
mdkb
Human being with feelings

Default Cubase to Reaper, exporting midi instrument info

I've been trying to find a way to get the instrument info from my old Cubase 9.5 projects as I export the Midi tracks out to Reaper. I wonder if anyone found a way to achieve this?

The main problem:

My issue is mostly Kontakt based instruments. I run a copy of Cubase 9.5 on VM for this specific task of exporting, but cant install Kontakt AFAIK, due to licensing issues.

By the time I get Cubase to open an old project, it has failed to find the content for missing instruments, and so has no instrument info left in the midi tracks for me to know what was tweaked, or even what patch or instrument was used (my early days track naming was based on what it sounded like, not what patch I used).

My work around:

I currently use Windows PrtScrn during the Cubase open to capture info about missing content and try to track it all down from there once midi is imported into Reaper, but its pretty vague at best.

Things I have tried:

So far I contacted AATranslator, but they cant help with this side of it. I found pluginview 1.2 app that can read .cpr files (Cubase) but it only shows the instrument itself not any settings info, and doesnt get it right half the time.

I even tried HxD hexcode reading the .cpr file (which works great if you are looking for lost .wavs location info btw, but not for midi instruments or patches)

I have run out of ways to try find the midi instrument info in old Cubase files. I thought I would post here as there is no hope of getting this out of Steinberg given others have tried endlessly.

Someone must have solved this somehow...
Reaper 7.11 (portable full install), Windows 10 pro, AMD Ryzen 7 5700X, 32GB RAM, SSD PCIe (C drive), SSD 2.5in (Music), Komplete 11 Ultimate, EastWest Silver, Albion One, Cinematic Strings, Ample Sound AC12/ACG, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2, Rokit KRK 5, Senheisser EH-150.

Last edited by mdkb; 05-19-2022 at 05:59 PM. Reason: clarity
mdkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 07:47 PM   #2
MusoBob

If you have Kontakt on the main OS there is a portable version of Kontakt that you can install in the VM with Cubase then create a shared folder to your Kontakt library on the main OS.
MusoBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 08:14 PM   #3
mdkb

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusoBob View Post
If you have Kontakt on the main OS there is a portable version of Kontakt that you can install in the VM with Cubase then create a shared folder to your Kontakt library on the main OS.
I do. I moated the VM because everything is older versions and I wasnt sure how Native Instruments (or stuff like Waves) would react if I gave it access to my current (Komplete 11 all later versions) folder. I've had problems just using old version vrs new version on my existing OS Komplete upgrades where it nukes the old version and refuses to run and stuff. Last thing I need is it messing up my existing setup just to get migrated. This would be my act of last resort, but probably the way to go if I cant find an alternative solution. (I also thought there is a risk the plugin software thinks I am trying to pirate it, and ends up locking me out on my current - works perfectly - setup).
Reaper 7.11 (portable full install), Windows 10 pro, AMD Ryzen 7 5700X, 32GB RAM, SSD PCIe (C drive), SSD 2.5in (Music), Komplete 11 Ultimate, EastWest Silver, Albion One, Cinematic Strings, Ample Sound AC12/ACG, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2, Rokit KRK 5, Senheisser EH-150.

Last edited by mdkb; 05-19-2022 at 08:17 PM. Reason: clarity
Old 05-20-2022, 12:38 AM   #4
MusoBob

Just copy your Kontakt library folder into the VM then point the portable Kontakt to it then you can add the portable Kontakt vst to Cubase inside the VM.
Old 05-20-2022, 11:03 PM   #5
mdkb

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusoBob View Post
Just copy your Kontakt library folder into the VM then point the portable Kontakt to it then you can add the portable Kontakt vst to Cubase inside the VM.
360GB of sample libraries related to Kontakt instruments, so way too big to put in a VM. But the idea is sound if I get an external hard drive and do that, so will do make a shared drive of it and see if it fixes it for me. Thanks for the idea.

Last edited by mdkb; 05-20-2022 at 11:03 PM. Reason: clarity
Old 05-21-2022, 02:36 AM   #6
MusoBob

That's the way to go I got my library on an external drive it's much the same size.