Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Bug Reports

Old 01-18-2019, 07:34 AM   #1
anomar
Human being with feelings

Default Reaper - Windows Bars doesn't show that Pins at Right

Hi,

somebody knows what I have to do for Reaper showing those Pins at Windows Bars ?
I mean that pins destinated to fix the window on top, not "Plug-ins Pins"

My Reaper doesn't shows that.

Reaper vs 5.965/x64
System: Windows 10 Professional

Thanks very much for any help

Last edited by anomar; 12-20-2022 at 05:05 PM.
anomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 08:41 AM   #2
Philbo King

I don't know. I've been using Reaper for 10 years, and never did figure out what to with those window pins. I just do my best to avoid touching them.
Old 01-18-2019, 12:43 PM   #3
anomar

Default Windows Bar Pin

Those Pins are supposed to stick the window in front of the others, I can live without it, but I found strange not to see that.
Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philbo King View Post
I don't know. I've been using Reaper for 10 years, and never did figure out what to with those window pins. I just do my best to avoid touching them.
Old 01-18-2019, 05:15 PM   #4
Philbo King

I know what they're for. I just never needed a window pinned.
Old 01-19-2019, 05:35 AM   #5
SonicAxiom

have you tired to change Windows Desktop Themes and appearence? I'd guess that the phenomenon you have has something to do with Windows appearence options.

I had a similar issue once but I was using a free app especially designed to manage the appearence of open windows. I had to tweak some settings in that app to make the windows appear as usual again.

Another option would be to do a freah (portable) Reaper install in case something got corrupted in the Reaper settings.

Old 04-28-2019, 07:22 PM   #6
Trione

Bump

I'm working with a freshly installed reaper and the pin icons are missing. I have plugins that are stuck in front of everything and can't find a way to change it.

I'm not using anything but standard Windows 10 theme settings, and even with the default windows theme, no pins are visible.

Last edited by Trione; 04-28-2019 at 07:48 PM.
Trione is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 05:28 AM   #7
hopi

the pins do show for me but they don't exactly work as I would like
Example:

MIDI Editor, and a toolbar set to float and pinned
but that toolbar will not stay on top of the MIDI Ed. window
The pin will lock it in place on the screen but will not keep it on top.

I wish it would or that something would.

EDIT: ummm a bit of user error here.... It will stay on top IF it is the last thing pinned AND if I do not have the ME window also pinned... [duh!]

Last edited by hopi; 04-29-2019 at 01:01 PM.
hopi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 11:40 PM   #8
Trione

Anyone have info to help with the missing pins? Seen a number of threads the last couple years but so far no answers.

Last edited by Trione; 05-03-2019 at 02:15 PM. Reason: typo
Old 05-01-2019, 10:59 AM   #9
Trione

bump?
Old 05-02-2019, 02:21 AM   #10
sickamorz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trione View Post
Anyone have info to help with the missing pins? Scene a number of threads the last couple years but so far no answers.
Are you using the theme that comes with Reaper? If not try and see if there is any difference.
sickamorz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 02:19 PM   #11
Trione

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickamorz View Post
Are you using the theme that comes with Reaper? If not try and see if there is any difference.
Yeah, the problem showed up before I'd tried anything but the default theme in reaper. Using the default theme in windows doesn't help. Reaper just doesn't have the pin icons or the control they give.
Old 05-04-2019, 07:46 PM   #12
sickamorz
Banned

Quote:
Bump

I'm working with a freshly installed reaper and the pin icons are missing. I have plugins that are stuck in front of everything and can't find a way to change it.

I'm not using anything but standard Windows 10 theme settings, and even with the default windows theme, no pins are visible.

Your saying your working with fresh install of Reaper, have you tried to rename the reaper.ini file to reaper.bak then run reaper and see if they appear after reaper rebuilds the reaper.ini file.
sickamorz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 12:49 PM   #13
Trione

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickamorz View Post
Your saying your working with fresh install of Reaper, have you tried to rename the reaper.ini file to reaper.bak then run reaper and see if they appear after reaper rebuilds the reaper.ini file.
I haven't done this with the reaper.ini file. I tried it with the pinstate.ini file, and the result was odd: reaper didn't rebuild the file. Still no pins, but states were all default now, and no new pinstate file either. What would moving/renaming the reaper.ini file do?

The person trying to help me in the newbie thread said pins had disappeared in their windows copy of reaper as well and they hadn't found a way to fix it. There are threads on the reaper subreddit about it too, so it isn't just just me.
Old 05-14-2019, 04:56 AM   #14
cutnpaste
Banned

Quote:
I haven't done this with the reaper.ini file. I tried it with the pinstate.ini file, and the result was odd: reaper didn't rebuild the file. Still no pins, but states were all default now, and no new pinstate file either. What would moving/renaming the reaper.ini file do?

The person trying to help me in the newbie thread said pins had disappeared in their windows copy of reaper as well and they hadn't found a way to fix it. There are threads on the reaper subreddit about it too, so it isn't just just me.
According to people on the forum reaper would create a new reaper.ini file with default settings.
cutnpaste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 01:02 PM   #15
Trione

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutnpaste View Post
According to people on the forum reaper would create a new reaper.ini file with default settings.
K, as I've said, this issue is present in a 100% fresh install of reaper, so that doesn't fix anything.

I was hoping I was just a noob and missing something obvious, but it seems have been missing from reaper in windows 10 for at least four months... So I guess this feature is just broken in reaper for the foreseeable future?
Old 05-21-2019, 01:50 AM   #16
cutnpaste
Banned

Quote:
K, as I've said, this issue is present in a 100% fresh install of reaper, so that doesn't fix anything.

I was hoping I was just a noob and missing something obvious, but it seems have been missing from reaper in windows 10 for at least four months... So I guess this feature is just broken in reaper for the foreseeable future?

If you're expecting it on the arrange view or also called track view you will never see it there, it appears in mixer and other windows of reaper.
Old 05-21-2019, 03:36 AM   #17
cutnpaste
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by anomar View Post
Hi,

somebody knows what I have to do for Reaper showing those Pins at Windows Bars ?
I mean that pins destinated to fix the window on top, not "Plug-ins Pins"

My Reaper doesn't shows that.

Reaper vs 5.965/x64
System: Windows 10 Professional

Thanks very much for any help
Your sample image shows the pin so I have no idea what you are talking about.
Old 05-21-2019, 05:45 PM   #18
anomar

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutnpaste View Post
Your sample image shows the pin so I have no idea what you are talking about.
Yes, the image is showing that. But it is only to show the pins I was talking for. My Windows 10 / Reaper shows no pins such that.
Old 07-06-2019, 11:31 AM   #19
EManBass

Has this issue been fixed? I've had the same issue for months, and now it's becoming increasingly annoying =(
EManBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 03:22 PM   #20
juliansader

This problem with the pin seems to be a bug, so I moved the thread to the Bug Reports forum.

In another thread, some users of Windows 10 also reported that extensions such as SWS and ReaScriptAPI fail to add the pin to windows, even though REAPER's own windows still show the pin:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tack View Post
Is there a regression in JS_Window_AttachTopmostPin? This used to work for me (though when I'm not entirely sure), but at least as of 0.988 with Reaper 5.978 this isn't working:

Code:
gfx.init('blargh!', 640, 480, 0, 100, 100)
local hwnd = reaper.JS_Window_Find('blargh!', true)
reaper.ShowConsoleMsg('found hwnd: ' .. tostring(hwnd) .. '\n')
reaper.JS_Window_AttachTopmostPin(hwnd)
function go()
    gfx.update()
    reaper.defer(go)
end
go()
The console does report a non-nil hwnd. But the pin isn't showing on the window. Anyone else see this?

Windows 10 x64 (build 1809).
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Stevie_ View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by juliansader View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Stevie_ View Post
Nope, not working here either. Also, IIRC, Julian's MIDI inspector used to have a pin in the new version, right? Can't see that either, anymore.
Do SWS windows such as "Auto color/icon" still have the pin?
Nope, the Reaper Mixer window does, though.
juliansader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 06:53 AM   #21
MaXyM

from time to time I see another issue with pins: if I alt-tab other application (ie FIREFOX) to be displayed on top of REAPER, pins are rendered inside FF window
MaXyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 07:27 AM   #22
tack

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliansader View Post
In another thread, some users of Windows 10 also reported that extensions such as SWS and ReaScriptAPI fail to add the pin to windows, even though REAPER's own windows still show the pin:
In my case, Reaper's own windows are also missing the pin.

It's not a feature I use often so I'm not able to recall when it stopped working.

I did relatively recently (around April) upgrade from Windows 10 1803 to 1809. It's quite possible the breakage coincides with that upgrade. It's the kind of thing you might expect to break with a major windows update.

Does anyone on Windows 10 1809 see pins?
tack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 05:28 AM   #23
EManBass

Actually, my problem, to be precise, is similar to what some of you are describing: I see NO pins at all. Well, except for one hanging right on top of the close button (X) of the edit window, the one that will close Reaper. This one works for whatever active window I have, so it's kinda neat how one pin can do it all, except that it's in a very dangerous location, and hell, I like each window having its own pin. In my case, I do use pins a lot, though now I'm tolerating this because I use 2 screens on my mixing/mastering desktop station, and all I have to do is move whatever window I want to keep on top to the other screen I am not tweaking (say, if I'm moving volumes or pans on the mix view which I have full screen on the right, I move the plugin window, for example, to the left screen where I have the edit window full screen). This prevents that floating window from getting buried.

Typing now from my remote gear computer, the one I use only for remote recordings. This one is 1809 (OS Build 17736.475), and I do see the pins on each window. I will check my desktop station tonight.
Old 07-09-2019, 08:35 PM   #24
EManBass

Now on my desktop. Version 1809 (Os Build 17763.557). This is different!
Old 08-08-2019, 11:07 PM   #25
jreinhard

For me, the problem occurs only when using dual monitors in a vertical arrangement. The pin disappears on all Reaper windows when the extended display is on top of the main display. If I move the extended display to beside or under the main display, the pin is visible.

I am using the integrated Intel graphics on a Haswell processor for both monitors. I'm using Windows 10 1903.
jreinhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 12:05 PM   #26
tack

Quote:
Originally Posted by jreinhard View Post
For me, the problem occurs only when using dual monitors in a vertical arrangement. The pin disappears on all Reaper windows when the extended display is on top of the main display.
Yes I think you're onto something here. But it seems less to do with orientation and more to do with alignment.

I have 2 of my 3 displays in portrait mode but as I played around with this further (particularly moving the center display position so it was top-aligned with the flank displays rather than bottom-aligned as I have it), it made no difference.

But when in dual monitor mode, provided the primary display is on the left and the flank display is at or below the primary, it works. I could not find any orientation or alignment of a triple display configuration where the window pin was visible.

To summarize:
  1. works: 1 display
  2. works: 2 displays where primary is on the left and the flank's top edge is either aligned with or below the primary's top edge
  3. broken: 2 displays where primary is on the left and the top edge of the flank is above the top edge of the primary
  4. broken: 2 displays where primary is on the right (regardless of alignment)
  5. broken: any configuration of 3 displays (that I have been able test)

In any case, the root cause does appear to be related to multi-monitor layout on Windows 10 build 1809.
tack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 12:58 PM   #27
karbomusic

Specific bug created here:

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread....45#post2169045

Quote:
Originally Posted by tack View Post
To summarize:

In any case, the root cause does appear to be related to multi-monitor layout on Windows 10 build 1809.
^We need this as it's own bug or added to the first post?

I can reproduce pin issues by making my rightmost monitor my primary display (which is what I need), as soon as I switch the left one to primary, it instantly fixes them. I've been wondering why they are broken (I'm on 1903 FYI) - I think the code is assuming the right boundary of the secondary display is as far right as there is, but that's not correct when they are swapped.

This should be enough of a repro for Justin to take a look...

Last edited by karbomusic; 08-12-2019 at 03:46 PM.
karbomusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 07:19 PM   #28
EManBass

Holy cow!

I definitely gotta try that, because check this out: I'm on my laptop at the moment, currently out of town, so...one screen only! On my desktop I do have 2 screens, horizontal, side by side, and I firmly believe the right screen is my main one! I'll be back home on Wed-Thu so I can confirm this. Shouldn't be a huge deal to change: just select all my icons and swap them out. I was thinking I may miss the search button (Cortana) in the center of both screens as opposed to the far left, but I actually use the Windows key for that, so no biggie. I wish there were no bug, but sounds like a very doable workaround!
Old 08-13-2019, 09:27 PM   #29
EManBass

Ok! That did it! I don't know when that changed, but apparently people do say this happened after a Windows 10 update where the main screens were swapped. It was a bit tricky to do it, but basically what did it for me (may not work for you?) was:

Go to settings, display, click and select the screen labeled "2" and move it to the left (Windows *really* wants your "1" screen to be to the right, at least in dual screens, you'll notice that when you hit "identify", it always goes 2 and then 1 from left to right), select "2" (the left monitor) and click on "make this my main display" all the way at the bottom. That's it!

I haven't moved my things around as I said I would since now I look at it, it really doesn't bother me. I just noticed, my taskbar buttons appear on both screens (the left screen's are sooooo to the left, I never noticed them lol), but the Windows key will open all the way to the left and not right on the center (actually right screen, all the way left) as before, but yet again, no biggie. I got my pins back!!!!
Old 08-14-2019, 12:34 AM   #30
karbomusic

Being fixed FYI...

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=224062
Old 08-16-2019, 05:41 AM   #31
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Bump

If you want to reset all of the pin states:

Open REAPER, go to the Options menu, choose "Show REAPER resource path in explorer/finder...". Once Explorer opens with that path, close REAPER, and go to the explorer window (it will be in %userprofile%\appdata\roaming\REAPER). Rename the file "reaper-pinstates.ini" to "reaper-pinstates.bak". Then re-run REAPER...
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote