Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 01-31-2019, 11:44 AM   #1
itm
Human being with feelings

Default Web control Access Error: 404 -- Not Found Cannot locate document

I get this error when I try to access the web control surface (Reaper v5 on Windows 10):

Access Error: 404 -- Not Found
Cannot locate document: /

I have had this working in the past, but clearly something has broken in the meantime. I can see index.html and 3 other html documents, as well as main.js, in this folder:
C:\Program Files\REAPER (x64)\Plugins\reaper_www_root

This is the URL that I'm using to access it:
http://192.168.1.5:8080

(which is the one listed as the access URL in Control Surface Settings).

I have no firewall rules preventing access on port 8080.

Any ideas?
itm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 12:08 PM   #2
cfillion

Try with another port. REAPER's web server does not output any error messages when handling a 404 error (you would either see a blank page or a browser-provided page). Maybe another program is listening on port 8080 and you're connecting to it instead of REAPER.
cfillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 12:19 PM   #3
toleolu

I'm assuming that IP address is your local computer IP correct?

Enter the URL as http://localhost:8080/index.html

See what that does.
toleolu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 12:26 PM   #4
toleolu

Sorry, should have mentioned this first, but if that IP in the URL is your local computer IP, open a command prompt and type in ipconfig, see if your local IP changed. If it is different now, and it does happen unless you have a static IP, then use that new IP address in the URL.
Old 01-31-2019, 12:29 PM   #5
itm

Hmmm....so I discovered that a program called ApplicationWebServer.exe is listening on port 8080, hence causing the problem. This is apparently a program by National Instruments Corporation, which seems to be running on the PC, but I have no recollection of explicitly installing it.
Does anyone know of a music app which might be installing this as an auxiliary service?
(and BTW switching Reaper to port 8090 does work around the problem)
Old 01-31-2019, 12:46 PM   #6
toleolu

Have you installed anything new since the last time that URL worked?

You can try stopping the service, see if your old URL still works and nothing else breaks.
Old 01-31-2019, 01:26 PM   #7
itm

Quote:
Originally Posted by toleolu View Post
Have you installed anything new since the last time that URL worked?

You can try stopping the service, see if your old URL still works and nothing else breaks.
Yes I've almost certainly installed new stuff since it was last working, but I haven't knowingly installed anything from National Instruments. I could try disabling ApplicationWebServer.exe, but I'm keener to know why it's there in the first place, as it might be required to support another application on the system.
Old 01-31-2019, 01:48 PM   #8
toleolu

Well the advantage to stopping the service, provided it doesn't break what you're doing in Reaper, is that it will point to which application is involved.

If it's something you need, then what you can do is change the startup behavior to manual, that way, it will only run when you start that application. Of course if it's something you need to run while needing access to that Reaper URL then you'll have problems.

Maybe just staying with your workaround with the different port number on that Reaper URL might be your best bet.
Old 01-31-2019, 01:51 PM   #9
toleolu

Forgot to mention that that Web Server app that's running is not all that uncommon. It could very well be something that's needed by the app you installed and it just installed it by default.
Old 01-31-2019, 02:10 PM   #10
cyrano

It's an application that can be distributed with NI LabView apps. Installed any acoustic tools, oscilloscope... recently?
Old 01-31-2019, 03:25 PM   #11
itm

I can anticipate that stopping/disabling the existing service would cause me confusion in the future - i.e. in a couple of months time I'll open an app, it won't work, and I will have completely forgotten about disabling that web service! It's pathetic I know!

I definitely haven't installed any oscilloscope software. I did install Jamvox however, which came with a Vox VX-II amp. Could that be the culprit?
Old 01-31-2019, 04:36 PM   #12
toleolu

Try doing a search for that exact executable name from the root of your C: drive, assuming you install everything on your C: drive. It may be sitting in a folder that will tell which app(s) uses it.
Old 01-31-2019, 04:39 PM   #13
itm

Yes I've found ApplicationWebServer.exe and it is sitting in an NI folder under c:\program files, but there is no other app in that folder. I guess that the associated app is installed in another folder, but I have no idea how to identify the associated app.
Old 01-31-2019, 04:56 PM   #14
toleolu

Go to view options in that folder and show hidden files, see it there's anything else in there.
Old 01-31-2019, 04:59 PM   #15
toleolu

It may just be left over from a program you uninstalled. Did you uninstall something called NI recently.
Old 01-31-2019, 05:00 PM   #16
toleolu

Aww, NI is National Instruments.
Old 01-31-2019, 05:03 PM   #17
toleolu

Any chance your running a program called Lab View?
Old 01-31-2019, 05:06 PM   #18
toleolu

Google National Instruments, there's a ton of apps that use that. Gotta make a beer run.

Does seem kind of strange though that it grabs that port and won't let anything else use it.
Old 02-01-2019, 04:16 AM   #19
itm

Yes I had a look at the National Instruments site. There isn't a single piece of software there that I would have installed, or even one that is in my domain of interest.

There are definitely traces of LabView on my PC (although no Labview .exe file). The only .exe files in the National Instrument folder are:
C:\Program Files\National Instruments\Shared\LabVIEW Run-Time\2011\LVWS\NILVWSPostInstallerScript.exe
C:\Program Files\National Instruments\Shared\LabVIEW Run-Time\2012\LVWS\NILVWSPostInstallerScript.exe
C:\Program Files\National Instruments\Shared\LabVIEW Run-Time\2013\LVWS\NILVWSPostInstallerScript.exe
C:\Program Files\National Instruments\Shared\mDNS Responder\nimdnsNSPTool.exe
C:\Program Files\National Instruments\Shared\NI WebServer\ApplicationWebServer.exe
C:\Program Files\National Instruments\Shared\NI WebServer\NIWebServiceContainer.exe
Old 02-01-2019, 04:21 AM   #20
itm

I've also just found "National Instruments Software" listed in my Apps & Features (can't believe I didn't check that before). I have no idea what it is, and certainly didn't explicitly install it myself (if I click the Start button and start typing "National Instr..." or "Labview..." it does not list any apps by those names.
Maybe I'll just uninstall it and hope I remember doing it when something else breaks in the future!
Old 02-01-2019, 04:32 AM   #21
itm

Ah OK I've now cracked it. I sorted my Apps and Features list by install date, and the NI software got installed on the same day that I installed a piece of software called UM24C. This is a utility which came with a USB charger tester that I bought a few months ago. I've uninstalled both and can now get to the Reaper web control UI.
Thanks for all your help.