Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 05-14-2020, 01:32 AM   #1
silveradodays
Human being with feelings

Default Is there a known solution to mse Vsti crash?

Hi All,

Newcomer to Reaper world here… been testing it for a few days and I must say that after being a little bit overwhelmed at first, I am now impressed. Everything is doable if you can find your way through it, I’m loving it so far and I’m slowly making my head around the new workflows, will purchase for sure. Congratulations to the developers!

The reason for jumping into Reaper for me has been my increasing work with midi composition and sound libraries. Something that my other DAW is not particularly good at (it has other strengths though). One thing that keeps jumping at me is that I get constant crashes while opening the sessions with some particular vsti loaded. After much research on this and other forums it all seem to boil down to the instrument being compiled with Maize Sampler (it is a mse vst instrument).

I have contacted the plugin developer and he said he will look after it, but in my research nothing has come down to a clear conclusion into why some maize sampler instruments work (I use other .mse instruments that work fine and won’t crash reaper) and others don’t. Question is: Is there a workaround about this? Is some particular version of maize sampler known to work in reaper? (if so, anybody can point me into which ones do?) Should I just pass on it and try to have a refund for the vsti since I can’t really use it now and maybe never will?

I’ve tried all the options for vst bridging compatibility in reaper (wow! Which other software does that! Magnificent) but none work except bridging the vst in a separate process so it doesn’t take down the whole session when it fails.

The vsti is a paid multinstrument plugin with serial number activation. The crash sequence is 100% repeatable:

- New session
- New midi track
- Load instrument and record
- Save & close session
- Reopen session
- Crash on loading said vst at session start

I’m on windows 7 64bit with all the usual audio tweaks (background services, high performance mode, disabled unused drivers…), newest reaper version on trial mode. Computer is few years old but doing great on latency checks and usual DAW use, dual ssd one for OS and software, the other for data/libraries. 16Gb Ram, RME PCI audio card... Only use it for DAW, only connects to the web for occasional updates and some plugin downloads and authorization. On my sleepless nights trying to short this out I’ve checked that I have all the updates for OS and drivers, HDD checks, memory checks so I can be confident that it’s not hardware related. But who knows…

Funny thing is that when bridging the vsti, after the crash and reaper prompting me to close the vsti process (so the session loads but no sound on the midi track) I do nothing, resave, close and reopen the session…it works again! But unfortunately crashes again on the subsequent openings (even without doing anything on the session). Weird but maybe and indicator of what’s going on.

Thanks in advance to the Cockos community!
silveradodays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 01:34 AM   #2
myfeltgood

Try right-clicking then running in buggy compatibility mode. This is very sometimey though. Little issues like that have prevented me from making REAPER my main DAW.
myfeltgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 04:38 AM   #3
silveradodays

Quote:
Originally Posted by myfeltgood View Post
Try right-clicking then running in buggy compatibility mode. This is very sometimey though. Little issues like that have prevented me from making REAPER my main DAW.
Hi thanks for chiming in!

I already tried the "buggy compatibility mode" and no makes difference with this plugin. It still crashes on startup.
Old 05-16-2020, 03:55 AM   #4
domzy

i'm also on win 7 64 bit with RME sound - maize sampler based VSTis have always been too buggy for me.
domzy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 05:00 PM   #5
myfeltgood

Quote:
Originally Posted by silveradodays View Post
Hi thanks for chiming in!

I already tried the "buggy compatibility mode" and no makes difference with this plugin. It still crashes on startup.
I'm sorry to hear that. Like I said, the buggy compatibility is very hit and miss (almost makes me wonder if it does anything like a placebo effect lol). Your best bet might be another DAW.
Old 05-19-2020, 03:12 AM   #6
silveradodays

Quote:
I'm sorry to hear that. Like I said, the buggy compatibility is very hit and miss (almost makes me wonder if it does anything like a placebo effect lol). Your best bet might be another DAW.
In all my research it seems that there's no clear solution. Plugin vendor hasn't come back to me yet, but seems that all bets are off. I'm asking him to see if individual instrument vst can be made since that seems to be the culprit of the crash on startup. But who knows...

I was switching to reaper for it's midi capabilities, and general stability and reliability. This plugin also crashes my other daw (harrison mixbus) and it's far inferior on midi (love it for mixing, though) ... smartest move should be to invest in tried and true sampling platforms like kontakt. Price is step.

Thanks!
Old 05-21-2020, 12:53 PM   #7
myfeltgood

Quote:
Originally Posted by silveradodays View Post
In all my research it seems that there's no clear solution. Plugin vendor hasn't come back to me yet, but seems that all bets are off. I'm asking him to see if individual instrument vst can be made since that seems to be the culprit of the crash on startup. But who knows...

I was switching to reaper for it's midi capabilities, and general stability and reliability. This plugin also crashes my other daw (harrison mixbus) and it's far inferior on midi (love it for mixing, though) ... smartest move should be to invest in tried and true sampling platforms like kontakt. Price is step.

Thanks!
I can’t say the same. I’ve had plugins constantly crash in REAPER that never crash in Logic, DP, or Studio One.
Old 05-21-2020, 02:08 PM   #8
domzy

Quote:
I can’t say the same. I’ve had plugins constantly crash in REAPER that never crash in Logic, DP, or Studio One.
are you talking about plugins built on the maize sampler platform? i'm curious as to whether it's just a windows thing that they are iffy in Reaper.
domzy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 04:07 AM   #9
silveradodays

Default Solved!

Hi,

Good news!, the VI vendor came back with an update on the player vst and now it works perfectly in reaper 6! I can create as much tracks as needed, save the project and reopen and everything runs fine. No crashes on startup or during playback.
Old 05-26-2020, 09:09 AM   #10
ivansc

Glad to hear you got looked after! Far too many plugin devs seem to be using the Steve Miller method of support...