Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 03-08-2020, 04:30 PM   #1
karagez
Human being with feelings

Default latency compensation issue (Reaper 6.04, Windows 10, Tascam US-20x20)

This may not be a reaper but rather a driver issue, but I hope that someone might know a workaround. When I'm working in a rather large file with a lot of effects already applied, latency compensation won't work properly anymore. I did some testing and it sure does compensate some, but it is no satisfying result at all. Don't get me wrong: CPU and RAM is not exhausted at all.

I wanted to try asio4all, but it doesn't seam to detect my device. I also did some windows tweaking (maximum performance, and priority to background processes) but it didn't seam to improve anything either.

Did anyone have similar problems?

P.S. the latest drivers are installed

Last edited by karagez; 03-08-2020 at 04:32 PM. Reason: forgot essential information
karagez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 07:15 PM   #2
domzy

can you explain what you mean by latency compensation not working anymore?
do you mean PDC (plugin delay compensation) or latency offset perhaps?
it's difficult to offer advice unless you describe what the issue is.
domzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 12:21 AM   #3
karagez

Thank you, for your response.

It's the latency offset. I can try to describe it more specific:

The problem accrued when I was doing some reamping later in the mixing process. Drums, bass and most of the guitars where already mixed. The part I was going to reamp sounded right during the recording, but when I listened to it afterwards it was offset. I checked the "use audio driver reported latency" option and it was on. Turning it off resulted in even more offset (therefore I'm sure it is doing something). It seams, the numbers reported by the driver are not correct when they are too high. It might even be the output latency, that's hard to tell (for me at least). But everything sounded right when I was doing the reamping.

Tweaking with buffer size did no good. There were some differences between all the way up to 2048 and going town as far es 32 but none of them was right. It was more or less late in any case.
Old 03-09-2020, 05:40 AM   #4
domzy

Maybe you could try a loopback test and enter the offset manually?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19HnMme0-2U
domzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 10:39 AM   #5
serr

It sounds like you are claiming that:

- You initially set the latency compensation (possibly using "driver reported" and possibly adding a manual offset or one of those).
- The compensation you set was correct and precisely placed your recorded items in sync with previously recorded items in the project.
- You discovered that when the project got large (tracks,fx,etc), suddenly the new recorded items were NOT being placed in sync anymore. The offset stopped working correctly.

Is that right?

My guess is you have some plugin that's crashing PDC.
You could try off-lining things until you catch the culprit.
serr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 01:03 PM   #6
karagez

I haven't really bothered fiddeling around with manual values for offset compensation because it differs every time. But I will try what you suggested.

The problem showed up as described. Later I tried to figure out what was happening by connecting an output directly to an input and comparing the recorded track with the original one. In small projects there was just a minimum offset whet offset compensation was activated (not even a millisecond) and a larger one without it. In larger projects though, the problem was as described.

Thanks for the help so far. I will report back as soon as I have new information.
Old 05-16-2020, 10:41 AM   #7
karagez

I finally found a solution. I unchecked “pre-zero output buffers…” and it worked fine. In case somebody has the same problem.