Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 07-25-2019, 11:22 AM   #1
Kenten
Human being with feelings

Default REAPER can't save projects in Google Drive File Stream

I use Google Drive File Stream to sync Reaper project files between multiple work and personal computers. One of these computers is having a weird problem. When I try to save a project in Reaper, it says "Error writing to project file. Disk full?" Neither the local hard drive nor the Google Drive are full. This is a windows computer, and I am not having the problem on any other windows or mac computer. Other types of files, such as Word documents, can save into the Google drive folder no problem. Reaper can save projects to other locations outside of the Google Drive folder. Reaper version 5.978. Any ideas?
Kenten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 11:38 AM   #2
suchatravesty

I use Google drive to back up my Reaper stuff and I don't have any issues. I don't trust any kind of syncing though, I just go the drive website in a browser and upload any new work manually after I put it on an external backup drive.

I used the google drive sync software years ago and it gave my machine all kinds of problems, I was a lot less tech savvy back then though.
suchatravesty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 09:06 AM   #3
ezolhof

Did anyone manage to fix this? I'm having the same issue as of today
ezolhof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 09:49 AM   #4
waltzy

Reaper 6.12c, Windows 10 x64, v2004 problem is still here. Anybody got a fix? Cubase don't have any problems working on cloud drives
waltzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 01:20 PM   #5
poetnprophet

I'm not sure what the File Stream is, but I use Google Sync almost daily, I have several folders included in the backup list, on different physical drives, all works ok to me. I'm not sure if it's the same thing as File Stream, but I'm on 6.12 or the most current.

However, I have run into an issue at least once where I pulled a file/folder from the backup google drive (for another computer running reaper) and it was corrupted/unusable. who knows what else out of the 2TB is like that
poetnprophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 01:32 AM   #6
waltzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by poetnprophet View Post
I'm not sure what the File Stream is, but I use Google Sync almost daily, I have several folders included in the backup list, on different physical drives, all works ok to me. I'm not sure if it's the same thing as File Stream, but I'm on 6.12 or the most current.

However, I have run into an issue at least once where I pulled a file/folder from the backup google drive (for another computer running reaper) and it was corrupted/unusable. who knows what else out of the 2TB is like that
Drive File Stream emulates physical hard drive. So you can specify which files or folders are available online or offline in specific cache location. Reaper can load all audio and project files even i online mode, but can't save project file to DFS. However Reaper can write audio files without any problems so it's a bit strange behavior
Old 08-07-2020, 07:05 PM   #7
ezolhof

Anyone had any luck on this? Funny thing is, I had it working on mid-2019 but installing older versions doesn’t make any difference now. I wonder if something changed on Drive File Stream’s end as well?
Old 08-10-2020, 09:46 AM   #8
jcgurango

Strangely, I've started experiencing this as well. It was working a few months ago. Is there some logs I can take a look at somewhere that might point to why? I've even tried making the entire folder "Available Offline" to no avail. My workaround at the moment is to save the project file somewhere else, and copy it into Drive FS.
jcgurango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 10:45 PM   #9
lawrs

Me too, also using Google Drive File Stream. Been using it for a month, and problem only started occurring recently. Must have been a change on Google's side.
lawrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 07:47 AM   #10
Liarco

I'm using the latest version available (REAPER 6.13) and I'm actually able to save projects, but whenever I bounce something it doesn't matter which folder I choose, the whole path is replicated twice from the root of my shared drive to my target folder.

The problem is that Google Drive identifies files and folders by IDs, not by name, so having multiple files/folders with the same name is perfectly fine for it. This means that if I try to bounce to a file like "SHARED_DRIVE_ROOT/Client/Project/Bounces/My Song.wav" then I will have two "Client" folders: the original one and a new one which contains just the folders down to the "My Song.wav" file.

I'm on MacOS 10.14.6, Google File Stream is updated and no other software is behaving like this at the moment.

-------------
Update: 2020-08-20

Today I'm facing the same issue with freeze. While I can render to an external folder and then move my files manually, having to do that for each freeze is a real nightmare

Last edited by Liarco; 08-20-2020 at 11:57 AM.
Liarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 09:00 AM   #11
spwyatt

I've just started using Drive File Stream having been using Google Drive for years.

I'm experiencing exactly the same issue.

Reaper seemingly has no problems writing peak files, glued files or FX chain configs to the File Stream drive, but won't save RPP or RPP-bak files - giving the same error as others have been experiencing:

"Error writing to project file. Disk full?"

I'm running the latest FS client on Windows 10.

Any ideas? I moved from Google Backup & Sync as Google are changing the way shared drives / folders work and Drive Stream seemed a much more sensible way of working.
spwyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 09:08 AM   #12
ezolhof

I've quit using Reaper for now because of this. Back to Nuendo until they fix the issue
Old 08-25-2020, 10:25 AM   #13
Fabian

I am not using Google Drive File Stream, but this sounds to me like some issue with GDFS locking the rpp-files so that Reaper cannot overwrite them. Maybe the files are big and upload is slow so that GDFS is busy uploading the file and have it locked most of the time.

Anyway... there are many possible sources for this problem, some ways to try to fix them are listed here:
https://appuals.com/google-drive-fil...m-not-working/

EDIT: And it could actually be that teh disk becomes fuill due to GDFS not clearing its cache correctly, see issue 3 here https://www.scss.tcd.ie/joeran.beel/...iles-and-more/
Old 09-15-2020, 09:48 AM   #14
waltzy

I re-logged, deleted cache manually, reinstall app, also there is more than enough free space and nothing is working. I read of curse content in your links but without any help
Old 09-15-2020, 10:49 AM   #15
spwyatt

I'm still having exactly the same problems. Very annoying, a lot of projects are shared with me via Drive and I essentially have to work "offline" - copying any modified files back afterwards - which sync instantly and with no problem. This is definitely a Reaper not File Stream issue.
Old 09-30-2020, 07:26 AM   #16
spwyatt

Just a thought - what version of Windows are those with issues running? I'm using Win 10 LTSC on both machines that have the problem. I've not yet tested it on a non LTSC install but a friend has just installed GDFS to test on my behalf and is having no such issues.
Old 12-16-2020, 04:08 AM   #17
waltzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by devintristan View Post
Reaper isn't always reliable when it comes to protecting your Google Drive. What you need is this article that will tell you how to backup Google Drive. I hope you're not gonna face this problem anymore.
This is just an ad...

I would like to see working file stream with reaper without having to copy files between drive and hard drive on and on. Latest reaper, w10 pro

Last edited by Ollie; 04-08-2021 at 07:55 AM.
Old 01-05-2021, 06:24 AM   #18
RBB

I had the same error come up when I installed Webroot Antivirus to my system. Took me a while to pinpoint because it still interfered with the saves even if it was turned off. I had to completely uninstall Webroot to stop getting the error message, but since then it seems to have resolved the problem completely.
RBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 12:40 AM   #19
Kabraxis

This is still happening. Anyone could able to find what's going on? I think Virtual Google FS Drive is not an NTFS one, that might be an issue?
Kabraxis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 02:27 AM   #20
ivansc

Been following this for a while. Seems to me that you would all be much better off using something truly reliable and non-intrusive like Mega. I have been using a free 50gb setup for my reaper files literally for years. I don`t usually record direct to it, but once the .rpp files are on there, they self-update as you change them within reaper. Very useful safety net. And I don`t really trust Google enough to let them take care of my music.
Old 03-21-2021, 11:29 PM   #21
Kabraxis

I have come up with a workaround for this.

After mounting your Google Drive as Physical Drive to your PC, you can create a Hard Link/Junction elsewhere for your working folders that's inside Google Drive. Working in Junction folders won't throw this error and Google Drive app syncs files correctly.

You can use this little tool for easier Link folder creation.
Kabraxis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 09:44 AM   #22
spwyatt

I've just tried this and sadly neither a Junction nor a Hard Link work for me - Reaper still pops up an "Error writing to file - Disk full?" prompt every time it tries to save a backup
Old 03-24-2021, 01:06 PM   #23
waltzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabraxis View Post
I have come up with a workaround for this.

After mounting your Google Drive as Physical Drive to your PC, you can create a Hard Link/Junction elsewhere for your working folders that's inside Google Drive. Working in Junction folders won't throw this error and Google Drive app syncs files correctly.

You can use this little tool for easier Link folder creation.
WOW! Thank You so much! Working like a charm!
Old 03-24-2021, 01:10 PM   #24
spwyatt

So strange - what's different about my setup that @waltzy and @Kabraxis don't have?
Old 03-24-2021, 01:23 PM   #25
waltzy

I used junction option for link and it's working. I did not test other options (symbolic link does not work).
Old 03-24-2021, 02:23 PM   #26
alanofoz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
... truly reliable and non-intrusive like Mega...
Hey Ivan, that looks good. Can you elaborate please?

alanofoz, aka Alan of Australia
alanofoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 11:57 AM   #27
waltzy

@Kabraxis yesterday junction worked for me and now it's not working any more. Which type of link did You use?

EDIT: Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Ehh, i was so happy yesterday

Last edited by waltzy; 03-25-2021 at 12:05 PM.
Old 11-30-2021, 10:57 PM   #28
pipelineaudio
Mortal

This is hitting me now. Total showstopper!
pipelineaudio is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 04:46 AM   #29
spwyatt

Yeah it really is and still no fix. So annoying!
Old 12-01-2021, 01:15 PM   #30
Fabian

In post #9 here https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=256690 Ellerbrok gives a plausible explanation for what goes on.

Apparently it is an unfortunate mismatch between Reaper and GDFS, none is to blame (or both, maybe )
Old 12-06-2021, 10:06 AM   #31
ALT Studios

Default Disk full error

Ok, I've been using Reaper with GD for months and I just started getting this today. I fear I'm not techy enough to understand all this. I spent months learning Reaper and I'm kind of freaking out.
ALT Studios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 10:35 AM   #32
ALT Studios

Default Disk Full

I uninstalled Malwarebytes and it seemed to solve the problem!
ALT Studios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 08:34 AM   #33
josoal

+1
same problem here
subscribe
josoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2021, 01:46 PM   #34
MerlinTKD

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALT Studios View Post
I uninstalled Malwarebytes and it seemed to solve the problem!
This was my issue as well! Didn't have to uninstall Malwarebytes, just quit the application and my project saved normally!
MerlinTKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2021, 03:57 PM   #35
Justin
Administrator

This should be fixed in 6.43!

(for future reference, if you write a file to a google drive share, close the file, stat() the file, you might get a stale file size back from stat()... this is IMO a bug in google drive...)
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 06:26 AM   #36
JohnReaper

Default Can't save

Just for reference I have the same problem with DropBox. It's intermittent and wonder if the syncing of files in Dropbox locks out access from Reaper? If not it's the same issue as described above with Google Drive.
JohnReaper is offline   Reply With Quote