Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 02-18-2020, 10:50 AM   #1
IronBolt
Human being with feelings

Default Automating Tempo Ramps Over Multiple Time Signatures

Apologies if this has been asked before - I did a google search but couldn't find a topic dealing with this specific query.

I'm trying to automate a tempo ramp between bars 10 and 20 (eg.), but there are multiple, and frequent, metre changes within this range.

Is there a way I can do this, without having to manually add increments with every metre change? Not only does it make the ramp less smooth, but it makes editing it a bit of a pain.

Thanks in advance!
IronBolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 12:38 AM   #2
juliansader

AFAIK, you can't create a long linear tempo change *across* multiple timesig markers.

The easiest alternative would probably be to freehand draw the ramp in the tempo envelope (after making sure that the timebase for tempo markers is set to Beats, so that the timesig markers keep their beat positions while drawing).

Freehand drawing the ramp will add lots of tiny square segments, which may not look as elegant as a single linear ramp, but it does allow you to customize the ramp shape to your liking.
juliansader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 04:36 AM   #3
IronBolt

Thanks for the suggestion.

I've tried to implement it but not only is it incredibly clunky to do, the action is also slightly broken; the points all snap to quarter notes, regardless of whether snap is on or off, or how you have set the grid.

I then had the idea of creating an Automation Item, which would be quite handy as you could create smother and more varied curves/shapes etc., but it won't let me insert them on the Tempo map.

Would this be an awkward thing to code in and request as a feature? It's just a shame as this is the first real restriction I've met with Reaper since switching just over a year ago.
IronBolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 08:42 PM   #4
hopi

I agree that it could be way better...

when I set the default shape to linear, I still get square points that I then have to change again to linear...

and the snap thing too could be way better...
Old 02-26-2020, 12:44 AM   #5
juliansader

Try the SWS action "SWS/BR: Select envelope at mouse cursor and freehand draw envelope while snapping points to left side grid line (perform until shortcut released)".
juliansader is offline   Reply With Quote