Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 08-23-2020, 12:59 PM   #81
Steviebone
Human being with feelings

ILock copy protection is like drugs -- just say no!

Really, for the life of me I can't understand why anyone continues to put up with this form of copy protection...
Steviebone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 10:54 PM   #82
ivansc

Because it works 100% reliably for me since they introduced the license Manager?
Old 08-24-2020, 02:52 AM   #83
Softsynth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steviebone View Post
ILock copy protection is like drugs -- just say no!

Really, for the life of me I can't understand why anyone continues to put up with this form of copy protection...
I can think of 40+ low cost reasons on my drive why I tolerate iLok (and some of those are multi plugin licenses). Many users have far more than that.

Even considering the usual sensibly priced plugins developers regularly named on these forums (which I happily support too) even accounting for the recent purchase of an iLok they have been super cheap.
Also I've not had one of these horrid problems yet, and I backup the SSDs to external drives, were the proverbial to hit the fan. Also the iLok hardware will actually make reinstalling quicker when the PC hardware is completely changed.

Sure the plugins with no protection system at all are most welcome. Though for the most part those plugins cost more than the iLok ones. A lot more.

I don't strictly need them all though so sure I could do without, either by using far less or paying far more.
Softsynth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 06:19 AM   #84
citizenkeith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Softsynth View Post
Sure the plugins with no protection system at all are most welcome. Though for the most part those plugins cost more than the iLok ones. A lot more.

I happily pay more for some plugins if I don't have to use iLok. To me, it's worth the price to avoid the hassle.
citizenkeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 06:44 AM   #85
Softsynth

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkeith View Post
I happily pay more for some plugins if I don't have to use iLok. To me, it's worth the price to avoid the hassle.
Perfectly reasonable attitude. No one has to have iLok plugins with all the other options out there.
Old 09-01-2020, 04:12 AM   #86
Retro Audio Enthusiast

Just an update: 9 weeks and 1 day later and still no reply from Sonivox.
Retro Audio Enthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 06:34 AM   #87
Dannii

Location: Adelaide, South Australia (originally from Geelong)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro Audio Enthusiast View Post
Thanks Dave. It was like having my home burned to the ground and having to rebuild it. Seriously, anyone who thinks they don't need to backup to an image needs to rethink.

You lose every single program, all drivers, all personal files, documents, downloads, programs, plugins and then have to find serials and authorizations from years ago, losing all passwords saved on the computer, resetting all passwords, reinstalling all programs (hope you saved all those custom presets), all web bookmarks....the list goes on. I'm at home and not working now and I'm still at it after a week.

Backup with an image folks. Buy a separate external drive and do it.
Absolutely agree regarding backups. That reminds me, I really need to make a new backup of my system. It only takes one time of being burned to realise how important it is to have up to date complete system backups.
Old 09-01-2020, 08:48 AM   #88
Retro Audio Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaDave View Post
Absolutely agree regarding backups. That reminds me, I really need to make a new backup of my system. It only takes one time of being burned to realise how important it is to have up to date complete system backups.
I have peace of mind knowing at the worst I can restore back to my optimum install state.
Old 09-01-2020, 08:56 AM   #89
ivansc

Quote:

I hate to say "I told you so", but I told you so...
Old 09-01-2020, 10:45 AM   #90
Retro Audio Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
I hate to say "I told you so", but I told you so...
You were right. Still, something learned.
Old 09-01-2020, 12:43 PM   #91
passionatefruit

Quote:
Watch out if you have iLok Licence Manager installed and then install Sonivox software that installs iLok inside its own installer.

I downloaded Sonivox VocalizerPro 1.3 on the Plugin Boutique site.

I already had iLok License Manager installed but the installer for VocalizerPro installed what appeared to be iLok again. There was no option to accept/decline this extra install. I suspect this somehow catastrophically conflicts with the latest version of iLok License Manager and caused an unrecoverable boot failure with the stopcode error: 'page fault in a nonpaged area' with tpkd.sys failing.

The problem can only be recovered by wiping the drive and reinstalling Windows completely or restoring from a recovery image. Windows Repair does not work.

I already have the latest version of iLok License Manager installed and it works fine with everything else.

I reproduced the bug exactly by repeating the same steps.

This is likely to be affecting/will affect other uses and requires immediate action by Sonivox (who I contacted) and by iLok (who I can't yet find contact details for).

Be careful, guys.

UPDATE:

I received a replay from ILok. It appears that the problem is Sonivox. The version of ILok it installs is over 5 years old (!!!)and has severe issues with a recent build Windows 10. I'm still awaiting a reply from them.
Dude I've been searching everywhere just to find someone else going through the same thing. I recently got a new laptop and wanted to download some of my SONiVOX plugins I used on my other computer (an older machine so it ran an older version of windows 10 and I never updated it). And as soon as it would say "Reset your machine to complete installation" you would be met with a blue screen at boot up.

Happened to me twice just like you to find out what the actual issue was and I had a feeling it was the plugin. Since I can no longer use the plugin what did you do or say to PluginBoutique to get a refund?
passionatefruit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 01:01 PM   #92
Retro Audio Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by passionatefruit View Post
Dude I've been searching everywhere just to find someone else going through the same thing. I recently got a new laptop and wanted to download some of my SONiVOX plugins I used on my other computer (an older machine so it ran an older version of windows 10 and I never updated it). And as soon as it would say "Reset your machine to complete installation" you would be met with a blue screen at boot up.

Happened to me twice just like you to find out what the actual issue was and I had a feeling it was the plugin. Since I can no longer use the plugin what did you do or say to PluginBoutique to get a refund?

I'm sorry you had to experience this.
I told Plugin Boutique I wouldn't be using the plugin again, it was useless to me, that I had no trust in Sonivox any more and that I'd be posting updates on social media. Good luck, hope it works out for you.
Old 09-02-2020, 12:26 AM   #93
Softsynth

Quote:
I would be staggered if you got a response now, at least without further prompting.
Quote:
I'm sorry you had to experience this.
I told Plugin Boutique I wouldn't be using the plugin again, it was useless to me, that I had no trust in Sonivox any more and that I'd be posting updates on social media. Good luck, hope it works out for you.
It's BBC Watchdog worthy really isn't it. Not very TV friendly though I suppose.
Old 09-22-2020, 05:53 AM   #94
Zino

Hi all,

just wanted to report that I experienced the same problem due to installing the Sonivox plugin. This happened on a fresh installed computer where I had just spent 2 days setting it up, installing software and plugins so I was not amused.

Luckily, I managed to fix the problem.

In the Windows 10 startup repair, I went into the command prompt, moved to c:\windows\system32\drivers and renamed the Tpkd.sys file. This causes it to not load when windows start, and you don't get the blue screen. After Windows started, you can then deinstall the Sonivox plugin.

Just thought I'd share this, might help someone experiencing the same issue.
Zino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 01:16 AM   #95
ivansc

1 month anniversary BUMP for this.

I would hate to see any more of us get clobbered by this (seemingly still-unsolved) Sonivox issue.
Old 10-24-2020, 03:32 AM   #96
binkoboy2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zino View Post
Hi all,

just wanted to report that I experienced the same problem due to installing the Sonivox plugin. This happened on a fresh installed computer where I had just spent 2 days setting it up, installing software and plugins so I was not amused.

Luckily, I managed to fix the problem.

In the Windows 10 startup repair, I went into the command prompt, moved to c:\windows\system32\drivers and renamed the Tpkd.sys file. This causes it to not load when windows start, and you don't get the blue screen. After Windows started, you can then deinstall the Sonivox plugin.

Just thought I'd share this, might help someone experiencing the same issue.
THE SOLUTION! Thanks, you really saved my files! It worked perfectly!
binkoboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 05:06 AM   #97
ivansc

Lucky you. I tried contacting their support once again & predictably they are ignoring me still.
Old 11-06-2020, 02:10 PM   #98
Telpus

i bought their software a few days ago and was just about to install it when i saw this thread

i mailed them to advise i will now NOT be installing it and i want a refund

here is the latest:

James (Plugin Boutique)

6 Nov 2020, 11:57 GMT

Thanks for your message.

SONiVOX is now looking into the issues that have been reported from the forum link that you sent previously.

I will let you know once they have got back to me on this with an update.

Kind Regards,
James | Plugin Boutique
Customer Care
Telpus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 02:16 PM   #99
Telpus

Thanks for your message and apologies for the late response.

I have since contacted SONiVOX Support and requested they look into the possibility of a refund for you.

I will let you know as soon as I receive an update from SONiVOX on this.

Kind regards,
James | Plugin Boutique
Customer Care-----------------------------------------------

a 'possibility' of a refund no less
Telpus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 03:26 AM   #100
dielock

Default Sonivox and Airmusic installs

Hi All

I installed these fine

1 made sure i installed the latest version of ILOk from www.ilok.com and logged into ilok on my pc

2 Created a restore point just incase

3. installed the software and when prompted to install Pace drivers DENY that part after this all works fine
dielock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 05:22 AM   #101
ivansc

Let`s hope this works for everyone, but unless P.I.B. make a point of explaining this on their sales page so people who buy this stuff know in advance that there is an issue, this could be a non-solution.
Old 11-28-2020, 05:11 PM   #102
MCCY

Thanks for this discussion!!!!
I am right at that point loosing my music computer with endless work in it after installing the plugins mentioned above from plugin boutique from black friday. So yes, that friday and saturda were really black for me.
I will try the renaming trick and hope it works. I just copy my whole ssd to be sure no data (songs/fotos) will be lost. When it won't work, I will loose the possibility to rework on so many older projects with plugins that I wont be able to reinstall all... they're just too much :-(. Hope I wont loose any acrivations...
MCCY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 01:04 AM   #103
MCCY

Thank you soooooo much!!!!!
Renaming Tpkd.sys helped!!!!

Last edited by MCCY; 11-29-2020 at 01:23 AM.
MCCY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 11:05 PM   #104
rugzy

Default Just happened to me

I just bought a $10 Black Friday sale of 3 Sonivox titles, Vocalizer Pro, Wobble and Twist. Loaded VP Pro and got blue screen/endless boot on start. In my case, I was able to fix it using the windows repair option on one of the boots. Pretty terrible if I had to reload my system over a $10 plugin.
rugzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 02:09 AM   #105
Retro Audio Enthusiast

Plugin Boutique are knowingly selling faulty software that can/could damage everyone's PC.

I warned them time and time again and forwarded several e-mails from i-Lok and myself to them. It's an utter disgrace.

For those of you that managed to fix the bluescreen-great.
I suspect though that not every DAW user is tech-savvy enough and some will inevitably have to reinstall.

And 5 months, 4 days later I still have not heard from Sonivox support and they haven't corrected the iLok issue on Plugin boutique and possibly other online sellers.

A complete disgrace from both Sonivox and Plugin Boutique.
Old 12-01-2020, 02:42 AM   #106
daverich

Quote:
Plugin Boutique are knowingly selling faulty software that can/could damage everyone's PC.

I warned them time and time again and forwarded several e-mails from i-Lok and myself to them. It's an utter disgrace.

For those of you that managed to fix the bluescreen-great.
I suspect though that not every DAW user is tech-savvy enough and some will inevitably have to reinstall.

And 5 months, 4 days later I still have not heard from Sonivox support and they haven't corrected the iLok issue on Plugin boutique and possibly other online sellers.

A complete disgrace from both Sonivox and Plugin Boutique.
Maybe pop a link to this thread to one of the youtubers who review plugins? Surely this would be a great topic for a video and it would go viral for sure.

PresentDayProduction or ProduceLikeAPro maybe?
daverich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 10:22 AM   #107
Retro Audio Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by daverich View Post
Maybe pop a link to this thread to one of the youtubers who review plugins? Surely this would be a great topic for a video and it would go viral for sure.

PresentDayProduction or ProduceLikeAPro maybe?
A link with explanatory paragraph would go down great on Gearsluz and KVR.
Old 12-04-2020, 07:25 AM   #108
kyuseok

It happened to me too..!

I was looking for cheap virtual drum kits, and found that their Tony Coleman Drums was on sale, only asking for 19.99$

I had wanted to try them before purchasing a copy so I downloaded trial version. During installation, I was asked to allow install iLok driver. I knew iLok was already installed on my machine, but I was careless. Being always an yes man for almost entirety of my life, I allowed it even with a tick on "Always trust this software vendor".

It paid off in a bad way. My computer could not make it to desktop, experiencing endless reboot loop. With 17 years of computer fixing experience, I assumed that the driver would be the prime suspect. I knew I had to delete the very driver file.

However, my machine did not show me BSOD so I had trouble finding out the filename.
Without knowing it, my only options were using DISM to delete the driver, SFC /SCANNOW, DISM /CLEANUP-IMAGE /RESTOREHEALTH and none of them worked. I knew they would not work but I wished for a miracle...

However, after few hours of searching I finally landed on this thread and thanks to you I was able to delete the driver!!

My method was:
1) If the computer displays System Recovery Options after few reboot loops, open Command Prompt.

2) Choose your account and enter password. Leave it blank if you don't have one.

3) type del C:\Windows\System32\drivers\tpkd.sys

4) Reboot!

5) As I ticked a checkbox to allow every driver from PACE without any prompt earlier, I needed to take actions to prevent further catastrophe. Press Win+R and type certmgr.msc

6) Under "Trusted Publisher - Certificate", there would be a certificate named PACE Anti-Piracy. Delete it.

* You may substitute C: with any drive letter which Windows is installed on.

I also sent an e-mail to SONiVOX in order to make them take actions. I hope they fix this problem soon, making no more victims of silly old authorisation mechanism.

By the way, I will buy one as I like the sound of these drums.
kyuseok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 08:29 AM   #109
Retro Audio Enthusiast

So sorry for your bad experience.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, that i-Lok software is out of date and years old and should NOT be being used.

I urge everyone who has had problems here to email Plugin Boutique (or whoever sold you the software) and explain what happened and link them to this thread.
Old 12-13-2020, 04:50 AM   #110
Retro Audio Enthusiast

Got a helpful PM from new member Borque who can't post yet:

Quote:
Originally Posted by borque
Hi, I took the trouble of becoming member because of your post but now I cannot post a reply (yet) so here's a pm.

I had the same issue, I also have the Vocaliser1.3 from Sonivox and had the deathcrash in my pc. It mentioned that Tpkd.sys caused the error page in nonpaged area.

Here's what I did and wanted to mention on the reaper site: I downloaded Tpkd.sys with my laptop somewhere from the internet and copied it to a USB stick. In the Windows repair screen you can choose the command prompt option (which still worked) and with good old DOS commands (cd.. dir copy etc.) I overwrited Tpkd.sys in Windows\system32\drivers ... and the PC booted again!!

So I thought this is worth mentioning for everyone who comes across the same moment of horror...!

Regards,
Bernie
Old 12-13-2020, 08:09 AM   #111
kyuseok

Quote:
Thank you for your constant contribution! This whole thread would be very helpful for anyone who encounters the same problem, although there should be no more victims... SONiVOX really have to take an action.

By the way, SONiVOX never sent me an e-mail back, which is a shame.
Old 12-14-2020, 04:54 AM   #112
Retro Audio Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyuseok View Post
Thank you for your constant contribution! This whole thread would be very helpful for anyone who encounters the same problem, although there should be no more victims... SONiVOX really have to take an action.

By the way, SONiVOX never sent me an e-mail back, which is a shame.

Six months later and they haven't contacted me either and their dangerous software is still on sale, and on Plugin Boutique, even though iLok confirmed they had themselves contacted Sonivox.

The apathy and disrespect for customers is appalling.
Old 12-16-2020, 05:56 PM   #113
Facex724

Quote:
Watch out if you have iLok Licence Manager installed and then install Sonivox software that installs iLok inside its own installer.

I downloaded Sonivox VocalizerPro 1.3 on the Plugin Boutique site.

I already had iLok License Manager installed but the installer for VocalizerPro installed what appeared to be iLok again. There was no option to accept/decline this extra install. I suspect this somehow catastrophically conflicts with the latest version of iLok License Manager and caused an unrecoverable boot failure with the stopcode error: 'page fault in a nonpaged area' with tpkd.sys failing.

The problem can only be recovered by wiping the drive and reinstalling Windows completely or restoring from a recovery image. Windows Repair does not work.

I already have the latest version of iLok License Manager installed and it works fine with everything else.

I reproduced the bug exactly by repeating the same steps.

This is likely to be affecting/will affect other uses and requires immediate action by Sonivox (who I contacted) and by iLok (who I can't yet find contact details for).

Be careful, guys.

UPDATE:

I received a replay from ILok. It appears that the problem is Sonivox. The version of ILok it installs is over 5 years old (!!!)and has severe issues with a recent build Windows 10. I'm still awaiting a reply from
them.
Did you get the problem handled yet?
Facex724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 06:10 PM   #114
Facex724

Default I may have a fix for you Sonivox users

After finding your thread on this forum, (and fighting with about 12+ crashes of Windows 10 with the same issue), I had an Idea... And... IT WORKED! You have to do it in the order I did or you may risk another crash.

1. First create a restore point, (name it as you will, but I put "Pre sonivox" or something to that effect.

2. Open your apps in windows system settings.

3. Filter your apps by install date.

4. Get your Sonivox installs ready.

5. Install your first plugin, (Orchestral Companion Strings, and Eighty Eight were my major culprits with crashing my computer)

6. Make sure you pull up your app window that you opened and watch what the plugin installs

7. You'll notice that it installs some C+ and an install of PACE.

8. After finallizing the install, DO NOT RESTART YOUR PC!!

9. Go into the app window that you opened in system settings (make sure it's filtered by install date still.

10. Click on the recent PACE install and UNINSTALL THAT BITCH!

11. Wait until the uninstall of PACE finalizes..

12. THEN AND ONLY THEN, RESTART YOUR PC!

13. I wanted to share this right away but I wasn't part of this community, I use Ableton, but since this thread shedded light on exactly what I was dealing with I needed to get this info to you.

I really hope this works for you. Just make sure you follow the steps and only do 1 plugin at a time, do the steps, then restart. (FOR EVERY PLUGIN)

I got both of my trouble plugins running smooth as butta and it felt good to figure it out myself. (with some info from you guys)

Thank you and happy holidays. Let me know how everyting goes with your Sonivox issues. My next target is AIR MUSIC TECH.. I'm having issues with EVERY Air plugin I have (with the present build of Windows) I'll let you know if I get anything figured out.
Old 12-16-2020, 06:14 PM   #115
Facex724

Quote:
I had a guy suggest the same thing to me but I couldn't find the file in my system to rename it. I'll have to check into it further. If you're still having issues check out the fix I just posted.
Old 12-16-2020, 06:18 PM   #116
Facex724

Quote:
Originally Posted by dielock View Post
Hi All

I installed these fine

1 made sure i installed the latest version of ILOk from www.ilok.com and logged into ilok on my pc

2 Created a restore point just incase

3. installed the software and when prompted to install Pace drivers DENY that part after this all works fine
The installs I had did not have an option to refuse the PACE install.
Old 12-16-2020, 06:30 PM   #117
Facex724

Quote:
Not heard back yet.

I just installed Xpand!2_2.2.7 and it did the same thing - it installed iLok inside the same installer.

I'm dreading rebooting.

Thanks! Will do.
I'm actually having a different issue with the AIR MUSIC TECH plugins. It's not even alowing the install to finish on my end. Giving me a windows error. Try my fix if you haven't had any luck yet.
Old 12-17-2020, 11:57 AM   #118
MikeMcK

Quote:
Thank you everyone for the Vocoder recommendations.
I haven't used it but the demo audio of this one sounds pretty good:https://geraintluff.github.io/jsfx/#Humonica

It's a JSFX effect and if you use ReaPack you can get it via a repository (scroll to the top of that page to see).
MikeMcK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 09:16 PM   #119
kyuseok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Facex724 View Post
I'm actually having a different issue with the AIR MUSIC TECH plugins. It's not even alowing the install to finish on my end. Giving me a windows error. Try my fix if you haven't had any luck yet.
You mean the installer pops up with some DotNet error and after pressing OK it reverts its installation back to none? If that's the case, just kill the installer with Task Manager when the error pops up. I dealt with my copy of AIR Strike 2 by using this method.

Hope it helps
Old 12-24-2020, 03:57 AM   #120
rogerl_uk

Default Thanks to Facex 724 for the work-around

Just wanted to thank Facex724 for his well documentd work-around for tis problem.

I have had this issue with two plugins puechased through Plugin Boutique; Twist 2, and Air Music Technology's Ignite. Neither Plugin Boutique's or the suppliers' helplines were able to resolve this, although PLugin Boutique did refund me the pruchase price withou any problem (good customer service). Facex724's solution did work.

Quote:
"1. First create a restore point, (name it as you will, but I put "Pre sonivox" or something to that effect.

2. Open your apps in windows system settings.

3. Filter your apps by install date.

4. Get your Sonivox installs ready.

5. Install your first plugin, (Orchestral Companion Strings, and Eighty Eight were my major culprits with crashing my computer)

6. Make sure you pull up your app window that you opened and watch what the plugin installs

7. You'll notice that it installs some C+ and an install of PACE.

8. After finallizing the install, DO NOT RESTART YOUR PC!!

9. Go into the app window that you opened in system settings (make sure it's filtered by install date still.

10. Click on the recent PACE install and UNINSTALL THAT BITCH!

11. Wait until the uninstall of PACE finalizes..

12. THEN AND ONLY THEN, RESTART YOUR PC!

13. I wanted to share this right away but I wasn't part of this community, I use Ableton, but since this thread shedded light on exactly what I was dealing with I needed to get this info to you.

I really hope this works for you. Just make sure you follow the steps and only do 1 plugin at a time, do the steps, then restart. (FOR EVERY PLUGIN)

I got both of my trouble plugins running smooth as butta and it felt good to figure it out myself. (with some info from you guys)"
rogerl_uk is offline   Reply With Quote