Old 07-05-2020, 09:38 AM   #1
Jae.Thomas
Human being with feelings

Default TCP Fx list discussion

Hi!

So, wayyyy back in 2005 I used Samplitude. It was from there, Pipelineaudio introduced me to reaper and the folks around at that time. I knew him from the Vegas forums.

Don't really need to go too far into the history

but two things I really wanted was

- comparisonics colors
and
- a list of FX on the TCP that can be bypass, etc...

Anyway

We now have the FX list possibilities in the latest dev builds.

So maybe we can have a discussion about it here, since it will likely span some builds.

doppelganger is an awesome scripter who made a script for this:

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=210987

I really appreciate how you don't have to adjust the track height to see everything. You can easily bypass/offline, open the window floated or the fx chain, and it exists regardless of your zoom level (even if you can't see much, it's ALWAYS there).

This is really what I "need"

but really really love the idea of having them done natively, as I feel like not only will this possibly be more stable, less resource hungry (I really don't think dopp's script does anything too intensive anymore tho), and I LOVE the idea of having parameters and GUIs and all sorts of things optionally available on the TCP when needed.

If you look at the two side by side, we have different situations:

with the native one in the dev builds, we see you don't have to lose horizontal space. For the dopp version, you don't need to lose vertical space.

I think the ultimate thing would be to have something which could be manipulated to take up either...

so you can have a layout which has the inserts to the left side, and a layout which has is underneath.

That might look messy if track one has it on the left, and track two has it.. on top or underneath...

also, take a look at how Dopp's version has the instruments (vsti and vst3i) colored differently.

but I think it would be beneficial to look at what dopp has done here. I am positive implementing this will be great, and the reaper folks will make it fit right in great, but I think we should just make sure we do it mindfully
Jae.Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 11:16 AM   #2
ferropop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Brian Merrill View Post
Hi!

So, wayyyy back in 2005 I used Samplitude. It was from there, Pipelineaudio introduced me to reaper and the folks around at that time. I knew him from the Vegas forums.

Don't really need to go too far into the history

but two things I really wanted was

- comparisonics colors
and
- a list of FX on the TCP that can be bypass, etc...

Anyway

We now have the FX list possibilities in the latest dev builds.

So maybe we can have a discussion about it here, since it will likely span some builds.

I really appreciate how you don't have to adjust the track height to see everything. You can easily bypass/offline, open the window floated or the fx chain, and it exists regardless of your zoom level (even if you can't see much, it's ALWAYS there).

but really really love the idea of having them done natively, as I feel like not only will this possibly be more stable, less resource hungry (I really don't think dopp's script does anything too intensive anymore tho), and I LOVE the idea of having parameters and GUIs and all sorts of things optionally available on the TCP when needed.

with the native one in the dev builds, we see you don't have to lose horizontal space. For the dopp version, you don't need to lose vertical space.

I think the ultimate thing would be to have something which could be manipulated to take up either...

so you can have a layout which has the inserts to the left side, and a layout which has is underneath.

That might look messy if track one has it on the left, and track two has it.. on top or underneath...

also, take a look at how Dopp's version has the instruments (vsti and vst3i) colored differently.

but I think it would be beneficial to look at what dopp has done here. I am positive implementing this will be great, and the reaper folks will make it fit right in great, but I think we should just make sure we do it mindfully
What theme are you using? (sorry!)
ferropop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 11:25 AM   #3
Jae.Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferropop View Post
What theme are you using? (sorry!)
goddammit. haha.

Nova 2.0.3 dark

Old 07-05-2020, 11:36 AM   #4
Reflected

Quote:
Hi!

+1
yes I like to see more in less space.
+

I would add that I want a wet/dry knob option on every fx... (like we have for sends)

I think that wet/dry knob is one of the most used knobs, even more than panning knobs, and I dont want to open any effect or window to control it.
Reflected is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 11:48 AM   #5
jrengmusic

I just put it right here
Old 07-05-2020, 01:37 PM   #6
Delucci

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrengmusic View Post

I just put it right here
+1
I think this setup is optimal. I like doppelgangers script a lot but I think fx list on the right side of the track would be better.
Delucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 02:08 PM   #7
USR

The great thing about insert slots in ProTools is that they get really compact when a track is short, so you can easily see the overview of what plugins are used on each track.

USR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 02:16 PM   #8
Coachz

The only way they are useful to me is if they are easy to display, easy to hide and don't take up much room.
Coachz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 11:03 AM   #9
Triode

It's worth mentioning that Pro tools doesn't have pixel-continuous vertical track zoom. Instead the available track heights are based around the specific slot "layouts" pictured in the posts above at small track heights.
Just mentioning since this has a bearing on how it works. Trading size flexibility for visual uniformity.
Old 07-05-2020, 02:37 PM   #10
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

Quote:

The 'params' area, which is what all this is using, is fully WALTER-able, so what you are suggesting can be done. The wrinkle is that embedded FX also share this space (the way the space is shared out is automatic and not themable) and they get more and more useful the more space you give them.
Old 07-06-2020, 08:33 AM   #11
Win Conway

I have been at work all week, but next day off is to experiment with this stuff, I finished the TCP on my v6 theme last week, then they added this, which is extremely useful to me, so I will investigate how hard it is to have multiple layouts for these.
From quick testing it looks like FX parameters and FX list together is zero themable, they are where they are and you deal with it, by that I mean they are all grouped and you define where the group goes, hopefully the FX list gets broken off in to its own WALTER stuff at some point.
Old 07-25-2020, 12:00 AM   #12
BartR

I do use that library and to however I gave it, they enjoy a lot!

+1 or +infinite, to get it natively.

It was the library that made me purchase Reaper. Because it improved 100000 times my workflow. It's really useful and immediate. Not "nerdy stuff" but productions-stuff! TOP!

MOREOVER, s for PT, I would add the field NOTES.
It's not comprehensible why should I use a script that I have to manually activate adding a shortcut etc, when its way easier to get the field already there, ready to be used. It will speed up also this. I do use that field very much, and to be able to get ti just right there, it will help a lot everybody also join Reaper leaving other DAWs

Last edited by BartR; 07-25-2020 at 12:13 AM.
BartR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 12:12 AM   #13
Win Conway

I think it could be a useful idea if the TCP FX List changed to input FX if the track is record armed.
Old 07-28-2020, 06:37 AM   #14
Ann-82

Hi everyone, i love the idea of having the native FX list on TCP view, this allow us to mix without using the MCP view. But in this case is worth considering to add the routing column as well, like in Pro Tools or like Doppelganger did in his fantastic script, otherwise is only the half of the job done. Thanks!
Ann-82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 04:10 AM   #15
Reflected

Of course I wish we will have better built in feature of tcp fx list....
but for now "doppelganger"'s plugin script does it better than the built in option i think.

I just wish that I could dock it on the right side of the tracklist

Reflected is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 04:21 PM   #16
mikostep

something like this?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Instrument 4.jpg (58.5 KB, 363 views)

Last edited by mikostep; 10-17-2020 at 04:27 PM.
mikostep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 02:15 PM   #17
Luster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jae.Thomas View Post

This comparison makes one thing pretty clear: in the native solution you have no idea and no visual clue where the signal flows. First Compressor than Cthulhu? No no sir, we here at Reaper don't read text from left to right.
Luster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 11:40 AM   #18
Jae.Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luster View Post
This comparison makes one thing pretty clear: in the native solution you have no idea and no visual clue where the signal flows. First Compressor than Cthulhu? No no sir, we here at Reaper don't read text from left to right.
I mean I have no idea what I was doing there because either way it doesnt make any sense hahaah.....

Cthulhu is a Vsti... no idea what a compressor was doing before that.
Old 11-28-2020, 10:55 PM   #19
deeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luster View Post
i agree ! i want to remove this and the knobs from my TCP, it's just unusable distraction to my eyes. I very much prefer a proper and elegant track inspector for selected track.

Last edited by deeb; 11-28-2020 at 11:03 PM.
deeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 02:01 PM   #20
joe2

Working on this stuff myself atm, seems messy.

Some clues as to how some badly/undocumented WALTER bits work in this thread: https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=239362

A cry for help/FR in the making from me here: https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=246133

Fully agree with the suggestion to have these all separate:

set tcp.sendlist
set tcp.fxlist
set tcp.fxparm

And the suggestion to click in the send bar to set level (i.e. have a themeable fader, not just a knob - how I loathe knobs!)

A bunch of FRs here, mostly in the context of TCP sends but some of it could apply to TCP FX stuff as well: https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=246157

Last edited by joe2; 12-10-2020 at 04:08 AM.
joe2 is offline   Reply With Quote