Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for macOS

Old 09-23-2020, 02:30 AM   #1
studer58
Human being with feelings

Default Clicking and popping with really basic Reaper tracking input task !

I've followed the typical Sweetwater & Steinberg optimizations for OSX (Yosemite in my case) incl switching off anti-virus, bluetooth, wireless, all the recommended power settings etc. Recording to an Echo AudioFire 8 interface with just 2 mic inputs (stereo) at 24 bit/44.1 into latest version (6.13) of Reaper, MacBook Pro mid 2010, SSD 500GB, 15" Core i7, Yosemite 10.10.5.
Apart from the interface, the only other piece of connected hardware is a trackball mouse (usb)
I'm recording to the same SSD drive...there's only 1 in the computer.

I still get popping sounds at low level !!

Not all the time...it can record for 40 mins fine. Then if I stop and restart popping will commence....sometimes, but often enough to reduce all confidence that I can record pop/crackle free.

No plugins, no samples, just 2 mics with live acoustic piano input. Reaper performance meter says its running at about 2.6-2.8% CPU....the whole system is basically just idling...it's a trivial load for any computer - circa 1998 !

I can only guess there's some background process that's intermittently starting and stopping, which is interfering with the recording stream ?

Any ideas...how do I identify which background processes are running...and how can I stop (or suspend) them while I'm recording ?

Tearing my hair out...the system is unreliable for location recording as it currently stands, at least some of the time !!

Your advice and suggestions are most welcome !
studer58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 08:15 PM   #2
studer58

Quote:
Originally Posted by studer58 View Post
I can only guess there's some background process that's intermittently starting and stopping, which is interfering with the recording stream ?

Any ideas...how do I identify which background processes are running...and how can I stop (or suspend) them while I'm recording ?

Tearing my hair out...the system is unreliable for location recording as it currently stands, at least some of the time !!

Your advice and suggestions are most welcome !
Does anyone know if there's a "vital...do not disable" listing for background processes, or one for common suspects which are capable of causing clicks/pops during recording...and therefore should be disabled ?
studer58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 11:34 PM   #3
superblonde.org

it sounds like you're assuming it is a CPU utilization problem, but it might be something more simple, like clock drift or bad steinberg driver, especially if it comes & goes. you should be looking deep into the audio settings and the 'drift correction' setting for the selected sound device.

to look at background processes, you could start 'activity monitor' in the apple utilities folder.

you could also play around with reaper's preferences for thread priority.