Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Feature Requests

Old 10-27-2020, 11:09 AM   #201
Kenny Gioia
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Stevie_ View Post

This is pure hubris. I said it once and will say it again:
If you 2 are official representatives of Cockos, then you failed miserably.

As a customer, I don't appreciate this behavior at all.
In the interest of saving everyone time here, I'm not going to go back and forth with you about this.

I came into this thread to steer a couple of users (one guy and another guy - no idea why that wording is offensive) and it's being misunderstood. Fine. My fault.

Please read these responses again. If that doesn't clarify things I don't know what to tell you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Tie View Post
This is a useful microcosm of the very problem. The perception that I was 'mocking' is false, try to entertain for a moment that I wasn't, in fact, mocking. In that frame of mind, consider that my motives were pure in trying to communicate that the "other DAWs do it, so should Reaper" approach simply fails to communicate the things people think it does.

To perceive my intent as mocking does neither of us any harm, but it terribly harms any possibility of effective communication between us, because that will forever be undershot with a nasty tone. For no reason. Kenny and others were, I contend, absolutely 'talking past each other'. One could hardly claim they were communicating effectively, right?

To perceive "other DAWs do it, so should Reaper" as an effective argument does me no harm either, but it does harm the effectiveness of the person making the argument if their intent is to communicate things that are of value. Which if true is, I'm sure we can agree, regrettable. If efforts to help that person make their (presumably valid) point as effectively as they would, one imagines, like ...and have it perceived as "OMG stop telling us what to say" (or better paraphrasing) is a bizarrely internet-specific communication SNAFU that is always worth making all efforts to clear up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Held View Post

It's not like the devs have been idle for the past 13 years. but playlists never made it to the top of the priority list for some reason.

If you want to be in charge of what gets added, you'll have to start your own company or buy one.

Alternatively, you need to work on your persuasion skills. Most of this thread has been people trying to help thermos to do just that, but it has been perceived as a personal attack by him and others for some reason.

Last edited by Kenny Gioia; 10-27-2020 at 11:50 AM.
Kenny Gioia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 11:31 AM   #202
maralatho

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Stevie_ View Post
Yup. And you forgot these little gems:

- Playing passes to each other (WT <-> Kenny) mocking about Klangfarben
https://forum.cockos.com/showpost.ph...&postcount=122

- the mic drop
https://forum.cockos.com/showpost.ph...&postcount=112

- calling Klangfarben "the other guy"
https://forum.cockos.com/showpost.ph...&postcount=134

This is pure hubris. I said it once and will say it again:
If you 2 are official representatives of Cockos, then you failed miserably.

As a customer, I don't appreciate this behavior at all.

You don't have to agree with Klangfarben, but he brings up some very important points and belittling his statements and calling him unlikable puts this whole discussion to an emotional level.
Again, if you are working for Cockos, this is totally unprofessional, because you are representing a company with your personal opinions.

And just to put this into perspective:
I ditched Cubase in favour of REAPER, am a proud REAPER user and have released over 100 scripts to the community (for free). I spare myself the mic drop, here.
Why so serious?
maralatho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 01:30 PM   #203
thermos

I’m moving over to the feature request threads. Thanks to all involved!
thermos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 01:32 PM   #204
Judders

I've not used Pro Tools, and Logic didn't have those features when I was last using it, so I don't know what I'm missing out on.

But, in my humble opinion, the most constructive thing to do would be to start a thread titled something like "how to improve on PT group editing and playlists" and get everyone to come up with ideas that might make it even better and more user friendly. Then collate notes into a cohesive feature request, make visual mockups, and begin a feature request thread to end all feature requests.

rather than just saying "PT has this, I want this", you could come up with an even snazzier feature, that is unique to REAPER (if the devs go for it).
Judders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 01:36 PM   #205
Kenny Gioia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judders View Post
I've not used Pro Tools, and Logic didn't have those features when I was last using it, so I don't know what I'm missing out on.

But, in my humble opinion, the most constructive thing to do would be to start a thread titled something like "how to improve on PT group editing and playlists" and get everyone to come up with ideas that might make it even better and more user friendly. Then collate notes into a cohesive feature request, make visual mockups, and begin a feature request thread to end all feature requests.

rather than just saying "PT has this, I want this", you could come up with an even snazzier feature, that is unique to REAPER (if the devs go for it).
Why not just "bump" those feature request threads?
Old 10-27-2020, 01:47 PM   #206
Judders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Gioia View Post
Why not just "bump" those feature request threads?
I guess... but which one?
Judders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 02:00 PM   #207
Kenny Gioia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judders View Post
I guess... but which one?
I would choose the one with the most replies.
Old 10-28-2020, 02:09 AM   #208
ivansc

Maybe we should ask Justin & Schwa HOW they decide what gets prioritised in feature requests?
However, I don`t think there is a consistent logic here, though.. We are dealing with Human Beings With Feelings, including whims.

A large part of why I like Reaper`s business and ethical model.
Old 10-28-2020, 02:51 AM   #209
nicholas
Scribe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
Maybe we should ask Justin & Schwa HOW they decide what gets prioritised in feature requests?
However, I don`t think there is a consistent logic here, though..
I can't speak for J and S, but in general terms (based on my earlier experiences working in a software development environment) these decisions are more complex than many people might realise. There is no simple answer or formula. There are subjective issues and objective issues, including (but not confined to):

How useful will it be to how large a proportion of users? How much work involved in developing it? How easy or difficult to integrate with existing code? How much of a priority compared to other feature requests?

It ain't as simple as some folks think ....

Last edited by nicholas; 10-28-2020 at 03:04 AM.
nicholas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 03:18 AM   #210
Allybye

I have only lurked on this thread as I have not the experience using Reaper to comment on the value of the features of lack of them. At least one seems to me of value but that could just be a missreading of the terminology.

As an ex pro (if I can use that as a full time worker in the industry many a year ago pre DAW) and of advancing years (so learning is a lot slower if ever it was fast) I am always on catch-up with the technical expressions especially when they are mixed up by different DAW names and methods...... I need to understand playlists, grouping takes lanes folders etc to make sure they are what I think they might be! Any pointers in simple language?

However I have been thinking along the lines of Ivan's latest post so would add:
Forum posts here have gone along many thread's typical in forums. Some very valid (it seems) points and counter points but some apparently taking offence. That can often be due to miss interpretation and writing in shorthand etc. People can get annoyed (I do!) but we need to chill a bit and make sure we understand before responding otherwise the issue is just compounded. That is not aimed at anyone in particular!

Now it does seem that there are worthwhile feature comments that are not and have not been for some time implemented. A simple solution as to why could be provided by the Devs or a representative explaining why. As some have pointed out there can be many a valid reason for that.

All though I have only been learning spasmodically for a short time I am really impressed by Reaper but cannot comment if it is the best but it is good that the community aspire to that aim but to be realistic there will be limited resources and other life priorities too. The additional use of scripts makes for lots of development efficiency but not necessarily working efficiency for users. Workarounds can be great if simple but anathema to others. Reaper is looking like 'all things to all men', nearly but not quite as that is exceedingly difficult.

Please just remember etiquette costs little and can be very productive!

Perhaps Justin or Shwa (?) or a representative can comment about priorities and reasons for apparently ignoring requests? I do note the blog of Justin's wants Reaper comments done on this forum.
Allybye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 04:48 AM   #211
bucca

here r my pov's.
with no attempt to make em a standard for everyone. and with no intent to be the absolut truth.

imo we have 2 main groups. nothing new, aye?
a] the musicians who use reaper (mainly) as a mimik of a recording environment,
b] the technicans/coders, who use reaper as a workspace (too), be given the possis to make it 'a special tool'. for whatever. fair enough from cockos.

well, i personaly have no idea what proportions splits a/b.
but i think, despite the developers freedom to decide, a good balance should do the best for both groups. so, level the FR's, done.
Old 10-29-2020, 06:44 AM   #212
ivansc

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholas View Post
I can't speak for J and S, but in general terms (based on my earlier experiences working in a software development environment) these decisions are more complex than many people might realise. There is no simple answer or formula. There are subjective issues and objective issues, including (but not confined to):

How useful will it be to how large a proportion of users? How much work involved in developing it? How easy or difficult to integrate with existing code? How much of a priority compared to other feature requests?

It ain't as simple as some folks think ....
I had always assumed it was a sort of cost/benefit assessment from J&S, albeit somewhat biased in favour of their own preferences, but as you say, there are no easy answers or indeed THE formula for evaluating what gets priority.

I`m just glad I am easy to please.

Last edited by ivansc; 10-30-2020 at 01:39 AM.
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 12:55 PM   #213
Delucci

Just a reminder: other daws usually have a lot more people working on stuff, and some crucial workflow FRs doesn't get answered.

https://answers.presonus.com/4329/op...s-faders-mixer

TBH this behaviour (mousewheel affecting fader) keeps me from moving to SO, also the scroll in mixer view is very slow.

Plus I like Reaper a lot, but it's a pain to set up to "your workflow".

Also, AS is finally in the pre-releases, certainly the devs listen to us.
Delucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 06:31 AM   #214
Beat Machine

Default justin doesnt need the cash

dev cycle
what you can do , what you have to do , what your getting yelled at to do
real life decision making
whats it like at the beach ?
Beat Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 06:50 AM   #215
Beat Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucca View Post
here r my pov's. we have 2 main groups. nothing new, aye?
b] the technicans/coders, who use reaper as a workspace (too), be given the possis to make it 'a special tool'. for whatever. fair enough from cockos.
a good balance should do the best for both groups. so, level the FR's, done.

a good start would be some actually meaningful conversation between usersand coders ,.with these programmers being the middlemen

I cant tell you how infuriating it is to read thread after thread of discussion about code with zero plain speak explanations

on the flip side its obviously impossible for me to make a meaningful
features request. I ve known programmers all my life and you cant talk to them if you dont speak the language
Old 10-30-2020, 07:26 AM   #216
Held

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucca View Post
here r my pov's.
with no attempt to make em a standard for everyone. and with no intent to be the absolut truth.

imo we have 2 main groups. nothing new, aye?

well, i personaly have no idea what proportions splits a/b.
but i think, despite the developers freedom to decide, a good balance should do the best for both groups. so, level the FR's, done.
If you're going for the middle ground between those two groups, your software is going to be neither here nor there. Aren't there already enough DAWs for people who want to mimic a recording studio?

The first DAW I tried was GaregeBand (Free version of Logic), and it was super confusing to me, but then I tried REAPER, and everything clicked.

Better communication from the developers would be nice, although every minute spent here is not spent coding, and with a tiny team that makes a big difference.
Held is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 11:57 AM   #217
Rick Settle

Default Is he gone yet?

Thermos, I mean. Is he gone? Does anyone miss him? Just curious.
Rick Settle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 12:17 PM   #218
Mr. Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Settle View Post
Thermos, I mean. Is he gone? Does anyone miss him? Just curious.
Don't know if he's gone or not, but his tenacity is much appreciated as these are issues that are dear to me.

Fear not however; his case is as well presented as it can be and has been met with the same steely dissent as it does every time its been brought up in the Reaper forum over the years, which ultimately leads to an exhausted op.

...until a new thread eventually appears.

Also, he is one seriously talented sob.
Mr. Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 05:57 AM   #219
Beat Machine

Default who wants to get bullyed next

oh thermos we hardly knew you

its so horrible when they have facts and logic in their arguments
why cant the world just accept reapers the best there is was and ever will be,..
Old 10-31-2020, 09:47 AM   #220
thermos

Still here. I never tire hahaha!

I am cross pollinating now with the feature request threads, which are apparently more useful to the devs. Still the same steely resistance as per usual but at least I'm in the correct place.

Has anyone here ever tried Sound Radix PI? Probably not. Why? Because Reaper doesn't have post fader efx inserts.

If you use a parent track the plugin self oscillates. If you run it at the end of the chain the imaging is screwy as hell.

I am working on a record with sessions in Reaper, Ableton Live, Logic X and Digital Performer. Currently working with DP, and getting to use PI is awesome. The way DP does it is very elegant and invisible until you actually need the feature. You just drag the hidden yellow line up the plugin chain and insert your plugins. Voila!

I am eyeing Pro Tools which is pretty insane to say. Reaper 4ever for mastering, but PT has everything a mixer needs. Really weird to say that as I hate Avid as much as I hate the GOP.

Last edited by thermos; 10-31-2020 at 10:07 AM.
Old 10-31-2020, 10:01 AM   #221
Held

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beat Machine View Post
its so horrible when they have facts and logic in their arguments
If you knew what facts and logic are, you wouldn't have any trouble communicating with the programmers you know...

And if REAPER isn't the best, why are you using it. Checkmate!

Just use the best and forget about REAPER.
Held is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 10:07 AM   #222
serr

Quote:
Originally Posted by thermos View Post
If you use a parent track the plugin self oscillates. If you run it at the end of the chain the imaging is screwy as hell.
That's the most interesting sales pitch for a plugin I've seen in a while! Sound Radix? Might have to try that. I like the "plugin self oscillates" part! Thanks for the tip!
serr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 10:21 AM   #223
Beat Machine

Default I am using the best,...the best build for me

the thing is I do production, so any argument about DAWS are done
is just wrong,. DAWS are anaologue recording studios in a box.

Workflows for production are about as varied as the people using them
I use Reaper for speed of workflow.

Its impossible to believe theres going to be anything exciting happening
like ableton ...theres just no intrest in the community

mainly just a bunch of mixers who want every dongle in the world
(which is kind of what this thread is about)

honestly if you still need more tools to mix your just in the wrong bizness

I was just being fascisious before, obviously reapers the best, or will be ,..or w/e
Old 10-31-2020, 01:30 PM   #224
coolbass

Quote:
I am working on a record with sessions in Reaper, Ableton Live, Logic X and Digital Performer.
That's all????
I would throw Pro Tools, Cubase and Studio One in there as well.
Hmmm, might still need a touch of Bitwig.
Oh no, can't forget Samplitude!
coolbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 02:07 PM   #225
Glennbo

Quote:
What you are missing is that other DAWs have the "dual mono" feature. Why is this important?

As I said, I rarely if ever link compressor channels on a stereo channel. Most pros I know work this way. I'd say 90% of the compressor plugins I currently own have no option to unlink the sides from the front panel.
I just checked a few of my compressors and both Presswerk and FC70 Fairchild have link buttons, but the others don't. I've never tried un-linking them, but I guess I should try it since I have a button.

After un-linking Presswerk, making a change to channel 1 did not make the same change in channel 2, but if I click the link button, make a change, then un-link again, they both will have the same settings.

I also tried linking, making a change, un-linking making a change to channel 2 only, then re-linking and making a linked change on channel 1. I expected to see my edit while un-linked to get blown away to match channel 1, but it retained the edit that was done while un-linked.

So are you saying that other DAWs can do what I'm seeing with Presswerk but using plugins that are not designed for dual mono?
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 06:12 PM   #226
thermos

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolbass View Post
That's all????
I would throw Pro Tools, Cubase and Studio One in there as well.
Hmmm, might still need a touch of Bitwig.
Oh no, can't forget Samplitude!
I’ll probably have a pro tools session by the time I’m done. Going for a record.
Old 10-31-2020, 06:13 PM   #227
thermos

Quote:
Originally Posted by serr View Post
That's the most interesting sales pitch for a plugin I've seen in a while! Sound Radix? Might have to try that. I like the "plugin self oscillates" part! Thanks for the tip!
Point is, it doesn’t work without post fader fx inserts. It’s a rad plugin, sound radix makes very unique great stuff.
Old 10-31-2020, 06:19 PM   #228
thermos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennbo View Post
I just checked a few of my compressors and both Presswerk and FC70 Fairchild have link buttons, but the others don't. I've never tried un-linking them, but I guess I should try it since I have a button.

After un-linking Presswerk, making a change to channel 1 did not make the same change in channel 2, but if I click the link button, make a change, then un-link again, they both will have the same settings.

I also tried linking, making a change, un-linking making a change to channel 2 only, then re-linking and making a linked change on channel 1. I expected to see my edit while un-linked to get blown away to match channel 1, but it retained the edit that was done while un-linked.

So are you saying that other DAWs can do what I'm seeing with Presswerk but using plugins that are not designed for dual mono?
Yes. You can choose dual mono as a plugin option instead of stereo. You can link or unlink the sides. Every plugin works this way.
Old 10-31-2020, 07:35 PM   #229
Elevate Audio

I would use Reaper more if they would fix the ridiculously amateur plugin delay compensation when using high latency plugins. Try putting Waves AR TG Mastering chain on your master and bypass and unbypass a few times to hear the garbage PDC try in vain to keep up. This doesn't happen in other professional DAW's. And it gets much worse when adding other high latency plugins like Acustica Audio acquas into the equation. Come on REAPER, get in the game already.
Elevate Audio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 08:25 PM   #230
juan_r

Quote:
Yes. You can choose dual mono as a plugin option instead of stereo. You can link or unlink the sides. Every plugin works this way.
@Glennbo They have to use two instances though. What those DAWs do is take care of linking the parameters - or actually unlinking them, in this case.
juan_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 08:32 PM   #231
audiopc2000

Default Please Cockos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elevate Audio View Post
I would use Reaper more if they would fix the ridiculously amateur plugin delay compensation when using high latency plugins. Try putting Waves AR TG Mastering chain on your master and bypass and unbypass a few times to hear the garbage PDC try in vain to keep up. This doesn't happen in other professional DAW's. And it gets much worse when adding other high latency plugins like Acustica Audio acquas into the equation. Come on REAPER, get in the game already.

A perfect PDC's behavior (plugin delay compensation) is the most important thing, especially for make comparisons in mix and mastering. How is it possible at the end of 2020 (year of the coronavirus), that the simple switching of bypass FX produces terrible drops or jumps in the audio signal?

This must be corrected urgently, it is essential and a high priority.

Friends what is your opinion about this Reaper problem?

Do someone know what is the specific cause of PDC problem in the audio engine, and if Justin and others Cockos developers are aware of the situation?

Quote:
These are simple things that the Reaper community doesn't seem to think are particularly useful, but for most pros coming from different DAWs they are must haves.

- Dual Mono plugins. YES, I know the workaround is to use 2 and just run 1 on the left and 1 on the right, but say you want to take that unlinked compressor and change the ratio, threshold and release time. That is 6 moves versus PT or Logic's 3. Also if you want to set up a dual mono plugin it takes 2x as long. I know you can link the controls, but to manually set this up for 20-200 compressor plugins is insane. Again in PT/Logic it goes like this: select dual mono plugin, link or unlink controls. DONE. I almost never run a stereo compressor linked, and most people I know work this way as well.

- Multi edit groups. LUAs (https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=203828) extension seemed to take care of this, but he is no longer active apparently. If you are trying to multi track edit a large session the current system is a freaking nightmare.

- Playlists. Again LUAs scripts seem to take care of this, but PT users won't do without them. Logic has BOTH playlists and the Reaper type of comp method. This would be super easy to implement.

- Post Fader insert. Every DAW can do it except Reaper. NO, making a parent track for every channel is not a workaround. For Sound Radix PI it literally doesn't work, as it sends the plugin into a feedback loop. The only way to use that plugin in Reaper is to automate gain rides its input knob. Super not an option. This option was probably included in PT and every DAW simply because you could do it in the analog realm first.

Anyway, the Reaper community is awesome, but it does seem that they are stubborn about why anyone would need certain features when they themselves don't need them. These features have been in PT since the beginning of time. Logic has had most all of them for years. And when people get used to working with them, it seems silly to change to another DAW that makes these simple tasks really hard.

I'll still use Reaper for mastering, but I REALLY hope Reaper can include this stuff without the reliance on external scripts. It would be unbeatable if it could. Until then, Logic will actually be easier to use and more flexible.
Thermos, you have my vote too respect to your requests.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Gioia View Post
I'm going to have to disagree with that. Not that there aren't some features "missing" but that there's any kind of "standard in the industry".

It's the wild west. I can list feature after feature that is a part of Pro Tools that isn't in Logic. Or that's in Studio One, that isn't in Pro Tools. Or that's in REAPER that isn't in any of the others.

They're tools. And like any professional, you need many to include in your toolbox. My hammer is terrible for driving screws and my drill is a pretty bad straight edge.

When I shoot my videos, I need to use a screen capture program. REAPER doesn't capture the screen. So I use another program for that. Then I go back to REAPER for other things, back to another program for some things and back to REAPER again.

It would be great if REAPER could also make my coffee and my lunch.

Create a toolbox. Get stuff done.
I love Reaper a lot, but we can help it to be better and why not, in the close future prepares the coffee and breakfast (lunch maybe too) for us.

Thanks Kenny Gioia for the latest idea and the great Reaper tutorials.

Last edited by audiopc2000; 10-31-2020 at 08:40 PM.
audiopc2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 09:26 PM   #232
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by juan_r View Post
@Glennbo They have to use two instances though. What those DAWs do is take care of linking the parameters - or actually unlinking them, in this case.
In the back of my mind I was thinking this had to be how they were achieving it, or else how could you have one set slightly different, then linked to be identical on other settings and not lose any edits that aren't identical.

I almost never have stereo tracks, and I mix everything LRC so my stereo sub-master would be the place to try dual mono compression, and my first choice compressor to stick on the sub-master (Presswerk) has a link button so I can try dual mono with REAPER in it's current state. It wouldn't break my heart to have the option to make all plugins function as dual mono though, even if it is doubling up the plugin instances behind the curtain.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 02:31 AM   #233
valy

Quote:
Originally Posted by juan_r View Post
The difference (while relatively minor) is that in REAPER you need two instantiations of the plugin on the track, one feeding the left output and one feeding the right output. In Pro Tools, you hit a button on the frame of a single instantiation and it splits into two identical plugins, one for left and one for right. You can then adjust them individually, but they both reside in the same plugin slot.

Ultimately, PT is doing the same thing as REAPER, it just does it elegantly behind the scenes. Saves a little bit of time I guess.
valy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 04:42 AM   #234
mschnell

I understand that only very few Effects see the difference between stereo and dual mono in a sensible way. In fact I only see Dynamics here. Of course it would be nice if ReaComp and ReaGate would feature a "link" checkbox, but the "DAW" (i.e. the host application, not the bundled plugins) would not be affected / to be blamed at all.
IMHO it's not a good idea to have the Host application convert mono plugins into dual mono plugins, if real dual modo plugins for such functionality are available.

OTOH there also is the difference between stereo and full stereo with certain plugins. Here it would be nice if ReaVerb would be able to load 4 channel impulses (or two affiliated stereo impulses) to work in a full stereo manner, but this is a completely different discussion. (Does ProTools (or Logic) come with a true stereo convolution engine ?)

-Michael
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 08:39 AM   #235
Opaque

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
(Does ProTools (or Logic) come with a true stereo convolution engine ?)

-Michael
Yes, they both do.
Opaque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 09:22 AM   #236
thermos

Quote:
I understand that only very few Effects see the difference between stereo and dual mono in a sensible way. In fact I only see Dynamics here. Of course it would be nice if ReaComp and ReaGate would feature a "link" checkbox, but the "DAW" (i.e. the host application, not the bundled plugins) would not be affected / to be blamed at all.
IMHO it's not a good idea to have the Host application convert mono plugins into dual mono plugins, if real dual modo plugins for such functionality are available.

OTOH there also is the difference between stereo and full stereo with certain plugins. Here it would be nice if ReaVerb would be able to load 4 channel impulses (or two affiliated stereo impulses) to work in a full stereo manner, but this is a completely different discussion. (Does ProTools (or Logic) come with a true stereo convolution engine ?)

-Michael
To get around this in Reaper, I generally just use compressor plugins that allow unlinking from the front panel. DMG Trackcomp is my go to. Actually the reason Trackcomp is un-linkable is because I'm on the DMG beta team and I requested it. Ha. Dave almost didn't put it in there but I pushed back and got him to. PHEW.

Anyway, yes it's really convenient and elegant. Most mixers probably have a hundred dynamics plugins. Having the faith that all of those companies are going to update their GUIs to include this feature is unreasonable.

For developers interested about how to implement these features, I suggest just buying a copy of Logic and checking it out. Because Logic does some things the way Reaper does things (track lanes) and also implemented pro tools workflows, it's easy to see how they can coexist in an elegant way. the only thing it doesn't do is post fader inserts (I was wrong).

I also posted in the post fader thread, but the way DP offers post fader plugins is very elegant and invisible until you need the feature. It's just a hidden yellow line that you drag up from the bottom of the plugin slots. Then anything after that line is post fader.
Old 11-02-2020, 10:01 AM   #237
juan_r

The post fader insert trick, DP-style, is neat indeed. One way or another, I too would like to have a simple way to have post fader inserts in Reaper without somersaults. Luckily my workflow does not need it vitally. I'm confident the dev team will grant this wish sooner or later
juan_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 10:18 AM   #238
valy

Quote:
I understand that only very few Effects see the difference between stereo and dual mono in a sensible way. In fact I only see Dynamics here.
It's fairly common to unlink delay plugins too, although many of the popular ones (like Soundtoys' Echoboy) allow you to do it from within the plugin itself.
valy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 11:52 AM   #239
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by valy View Post
It's fairly common to unlink delay plugins too, although many of the popular ones (like Soundtoys' Echoboy) allow you to do it from within the plugin itself.
????
Unlink what ? I understand that dual mono means same parameter, behavior independent of the other channel. That is true for delays, anyway.

-Michael
Old 11-02-2020, 11:53 AM   #240
mschnell

Quote:
I suggest just buying a copy of Logic and checking it out.
Plus a Mac

-Michael