Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > Recording Technologies and Techniques

Old 12-03-2021, 11:33 PM   #41
judelaw
Human being with feelings

I think a good product is something that works and you forget you even own it.

I would go crazy with stuff like windows 8,10,11. The day I need to upgrade I will go to Linux as some say it works with reaper (I don't know how much of that is true). Also I don't know who owns Linux, it's shady, they are probably getting money from google, amazon, microsoft and such to keep it user unfriendly and not compatible.
judelaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 12:02 AM   #42
judelaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiddleC View Post
Internals are noisy as hell. Offload it.
Even on the motherboards with a line drawn to suggest that the audio circuit is protected from noise?
Old 12-04-2021, 10:06 PM   #43
judelaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by judelaw View Post
Even on the motherboards with a line drawn to suggest that the audio circuit is protected from noise?
up...
Old 12-06-2021, 01:30 AM   #44
drumphil

Mostly the noise is from ground loops, rather than a lack of internal shielding.

Some motherboards have better internal shielding and filtering than others. Some actually output a pretty good signal. But I suspect that your issue is noise caused by ground loops rather than poor internal shielding.

A better shielded audio section on the motherboard won't fix a ground loop.

Have you done what I suggested and plugged headphones directly into the output on the motherboard?

Is the noise still there in headphones, or is it only there when you connect to your speakers? What speakers do you have? What amp?

Can we at least establish if you have ground loop noise, or if it is a poorly shielded and filtered audio section on the motherboard.

So do the headphone test! Please!

Also, how do you get a microphone signal into your computer? Do you have a pre-amp?

How about we establish exactly what problem you have before we try to solve it.

So, with no mic connected and no speakers connected, listen in headphones to something on your computer that doesn't already have noise in it. Like a youtube video.

Is the noise still there? If not, then you've proved that it isn't poor internal shielding causing it. If you prove that, then the solution is to break the ground loop. This can be done a few ways.

Get a new amp/speakers that don't have a ground pin on their power plug. Get an isolation transformer. Get an audio interface with balanced outputs, assuming your amp/speakers have balanced inputs.

I can't do anything more to help you if you won't do the test with headphones, or answer my questions about your setup.

Last edited by drumphil; 12-06-2021 at 02:11 AM.
drumphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 09:11 AM   #45
Magoostus

drumphill is right. simply using a DI-box or a 1:1 audio transformer with gnd lift would fix the noise issue here. case closed
Magoostus is offline   Reply With Quote