Old 09-24-2021, 03:33 PM   #1
audiojunkie
Human being with feelings

Default New Linux Synth: Anacreon

This is a copy/paste of a new synth that is getting Linux support. I haven't read the details yet, but there are 22 pages of comments about it. It seems to be getting a lot of interest! I'll try to find more info. I have not tested it at all.

https://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewt...p?f=1&t=550116

Anacreon is a personal patch-cable-driven obsession turned commercial VST. It doesn't do anything never-before-seen, but it does have bandlimited, hard-syncable, supersaw-capable oscillators and a great sounding filter section. It also comes with the head (and beard) of an ancient Greek poet, who will stare stoically at your work whenever the plugin window is open.

This synthesizer was programmed using the C++ and VST3 SDK - no use of Juce, Synthedit, Flowstone, etc.

Notes:

2.5.3.9 In Development

Linux Support
Try to get poly aftertouch working
Steinberg hates midi in the same way that some retail workers hate customers

Features in 2.5.4 (next major release):

(✅ is next to things that I've got working so far on the unreleased dev version)
Completely customizable layout and colors for GUI via config file <- this one is a huge undertaking, but worth it.
Save Location for Presets defaults to last used location - persists between sessions.
A "curve" module
Oscillator pan modulation
Detune and Spread modulation - maybe. I will need to look into the inner workings of that algorithm and see if it can be made to run efficiently at audio rate. I'm pretty sure division is involved in calculating the detune / spread, which is a big no-no for realtime audio.
LFO shape should be feasible to modulate since the LFOs aren't antialiased, it makes things a little more forgiving to program.
Envelopes that can trigger "one shot" style, looping ability, and the ability to be triggered by event port and send triggers via event port so they can be used for timing.
Extra envelopes and LFOs (option to disable extras in config file)
Pan / Gain modulation on main output for intuitive patching options. (you can already do gain in the mults, but I think the goal is to make the mults the last resort for complex ideas, not for basic gain staging)
Mid/Side output on oscillators for spatial processing
Because Anacreon uses Linux for his main computer, he will be smiling from this version onward.
audiojunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 05:15 PM   #2
pax-eterna

thanks for the heads-up, will check it out
pax-eterna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 12:09 PM   #3
audiojunkie

Erich, the developer of this app has become aware of this thread, and asked me to direct those who are interested to the following link, where most of the discussion is taking place:

https://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewt...21178#p8221178
audiojunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 08:46 AM   #4
Erich.Pfister

Default Hey Everybody

Thanks for posting that link - I just wanted to write here that I'm currently working on fixing up the issues on Anacreon that I gave up on last year, and once those are solved, the next step is a Linux VST build. I will also attempt an LV2 plugin at some point down the road. Does that work for everybody?

Edit: I'm a moron for requesting you to post that link, you already posted it! Sorry about that, I was pretty brained out on programming.
Erich.Pfister is offline   Reply With Quote