Old 06-26-2011, 06:27 AM   #1
XITE-1/4LIVE
Human being with feelings

Default Blacked Out Getting Closer....

I found the theme that suits me best.
My Goal was to remove all of the last century looking geograchic shapes that house the toolbar icons.
Im quite capable of recognizing the symbol and prefer the image only be seen.
I actually wouldn't mind getting rid of the remaining lines and texts shown on the bottom toolbars and have symbols only.

What I'd really like to do is remove the backgrounds under my MIDI notes shown below.
I have eliminated the grid lines and have an all black screen.
This was the goal.
I am under lights at all time and need neon on black.
These shaded backgrounds would be fine if I was editing the various sections, but I want a totally blacked out arrange window during playback.

Envelope lines from Master Track for Tempo, Vertical lines from time signature, regions and markers is fine for playback.
Grids, etc. and shaded backgrounds need to be all black.

Any help is deeply appreciated.

Last edited by XITE-1/4LIVE; 08-28-2011 at 06:51 AM.
XITE-1/4LIVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 06:58 AM   #2
foxAsteria

if you're really trying to modernize you ought to get rid of all that color saturation since nowadays, there are more than 16 colors available. or use it sparingly. some interesting stuff going on but the colors are too...uh, saturated.
Old 06-26-2011, 07:06 AM   #3
XITE-1/4LIVE

Modernizing isn't my priority, it's being able to understand and monitor MIDI under 1000 watt PAR Lamps.
The folks who are going to be tracking the automations are in the ceiling and have on numerous occasions used a less effective choice of software simply because it's easier to view.
My job is to convince these guys that Reaper will suffice.
I have already proven it's playback strengths and stability.

Trust me Bro. Right now I am using a hardware sequncer and HDD multitrack sync'd. Opcode or an Atari Amiga would even be modernizing...
Old 06-26-2011, 07:11 AM   #4
foxAsteria

i see...well i'd suggest using some third party OSD then. Eventghost is good for that. You can set it up so that any keyboard shortcuts you use trigger custom text on-screen. If people are far away from it, that helps a lot. i've been meaning to set that up for remotely tracking drums. well not so remotely, just the other end of the room.
Old 06-26-2011, 07:29 AM   #5
XITE-1/4LIVE

This is way out of my league and pre production starts in late August.
I just know what I need and have no chops for this.
PM me with an email address if you're interested, and we'll discuss money.
Your OSD idea sounds great and I have read enough on OSD/EventGhost to know that's what I need...

Thanks CHief.
Old 06-26-2011, 09:26 AM   #6
XITE-1/4LIVE

OK.
So now that we are working on the OSD/EventGhost thing seperately, I still wish to see if someone here can actually guide me to a video, or link me to an area where I can read on how to get rid of this overlay.
To the right side of the arrange window it's totally blacked out.
I want the envelopes and MIDI notes to viewed during playback on the all black background.
When editing and recording I inderstnad the use of grid lines being exposed, and having such an overlay.
But during playback in dark areas, the unnecessary overlay can easily get glared, and it's just a distraction.

Any ideas are welcome.

Old 06-26-2011, 02:51 PM   #7
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

Options > Preferences > Appearance > Theme editor > Theme Element Finder. Pick a drop down, scroll with the arrow keys till the thing you're looking for flashes.

Please credit when you use bits from someone else's theme...
Old 06-26-2011, 05:22 PM   #8
XITE-1/4LIVE

You're absolutely correct.
I am using MarkVH's Engage Theme, and he's given me permission to make it happen.
Sorry about that Chief. It's easy to forget one manners when caught up in the never ending quest for customizations.

I have used Theme Element Finder and it highlights the Track Background ( Odd ) as directly above this is my Master Track where Tempo Envelope is armed and visible, which is pink and highlighted when I select the Track Background ( Even ).
What I get is a bright shade of pink. When I uncheck the box in the upper left corner, the original them comes back, as in the above images.

I then went to the image selection and started clicking off and on various png's of pan, etc. This was very helpful as I now know what certain features are called and their location.

What I should I do with the Pink color though...?
As I said I have black selected in the Theme Editor already...
Is it safe to assume that Mark VH has some Pink background that I cannot change.
The reason I ask is because the Transport Background png. when selected in the image finder, has the same color....

Thanks So Much for your help.
This is the last little tweak I need to do.
I wouldn't be nervous if I could just convert the automations we already use, but unfortunately the QX-1 is ancient, the very first digital sequencer from 1985, and it isn't SMF, and I even have to pay extra bucks on ebay for never used 5 1/4" Floppies.

Oh, almost forgot. What should I do...? Maybe find another theme that's solid black and start over...?

Thanks For Your Time WT.........

Old 06-29-2011, 09:22 PM   #9
XITE-1/4LIVE

I have had great success and found the tweaks I need to get the blackout I needed.
Now I have another idea I'd like to try if possible.

At the bottom of the below jpeg. there's the video screen.
Which format would be best to use...
And also if this is possible.

I'd like the have the video sync'd to the MIDI tracks so I can show cues for the lighting guy.
For example, there'll be now video per se, but the video would be large text with heads up cues that can be used for spotlight cues, etc.
Spot 1, 2, 3, 4, collapse, focus, etc.
All cues are 2 bar warnings which allow plenty of time.
The JL Cooper and Merlin lighting consoles automation data will replace the MIDI drum track, once the tunes are heard.
It's pretty cool.
You listen to the tune and add scene changes first.
Then you autofade those on the consoles. Then add the specials.
Now in reaper you quantize the data, then playback automates those steps.

While the lighting director is monitoring playback, he can override manually but usually just does Spotlight specials.

THis is where the video cues sync'd to MIDI would be great..

Is this possible, and if you know of a format that's works best I am up for any suggestions as this is new territory for me.

Thanks.

Old 06-30-2011, 09:51 AM   #10
XITE-1/4LIVE

Yeah I didn't think this would be a popular topic, but FWIW, the more I mess around with this, the easier and more capable Reaper becomes.

Instead of silly Video as a cue, I simply use 72 sized Font for MIDI items and name/place them where I need.

I'm beginning to think many folks here just don't know how good they got it.
For God sakes, 50 bucks.
I was discussing Video apps, and even using Sonar and looking at spending over 1000 USD to get what I wanted.
In the last 2 days I have the visuals, and also in cae anyone does ritardandos, the Toolbar is set up in a such a way I can throw together tunes so much faster than my current hardware choice.

Anyone who quacks about Reaper just needs to get pissed off every morning and just attack it with extreme prejudice.
I don't need no stinking Sonar.

Old 06-30-2011, 02:14 PM   #11
foxAsteria

I don't know if you're using the v4 beta's but you can also change the color of regions so that could maybe also help as a visual indicator in long sections where not much is changing. How are you getting around the lack of smooth scrolling of the arrange window during playback?
Old 06-30-2011, 06:30 PM   #12
XITE-1/4LIVE

We'll see tomorrow after work.
A late night swim during 105 degrees at night with some cold Blue Moon beers.
Actually I already tried entire sections with 8 bar views. Although it's not smooth scroll, the Play cursor using a size of 10, w/ media font size of 72, and 8 bar sections can easily be seen from a distance.
Another option is using the Notes feature and installing notes for every item.
With a black background, I can choose the color and title, and instead of using the " fit " feature it leaves the note centered while the MIDI notes and play cursor move to the right.
On the next item the next note appears.
Not elegant, but effective.
This 50 dollar DAWg Hunts.

Old 07-02-2011, 07:24 AM   #13
XITE-1/4LIVE

OK Reaper has won.
Our little 50 dollar DAW has beat out 2 x automation machines and an expensive console barely needed can go back to the Leaser for a savings of 900 USD monthly.
My next chore is to unload this giant 64 channel Midas Monitor board that costs 1600 USD a month. I have to proove how my IEM's can negate the use of such a monstrous console.
This stage is still running the archaic design Van Halen used where all wedge monitors are hidden and flush to the stage facing upwards in a grid design.

Just thought you indoor cats would love to hear about Reapers battle on the front lines.
If Reaper fails, I fail, my redundant spare will be a laptop with a 32 channel analog switcher, I fear nothing.

It's not like Im an economics professor that can fail, and then get sent back to make believe land at some University w/o fear of consequence.

In my world, you fail, you get the boot.
You succeed as long as your tools perform.

My rewards are a good job, and now tons of free gear and spares of everything I already use.
Too bad I can't lie and say I use a Bricasti Model 7. But some smart guy will say you don't need a spare reverb, route your ancient PCM70 to the switcher....

Anyways, Im going to put on a serious Buzz.
Thanks to all who helped me remain focused.

Last edited by XITE-1/4LIVE; 07-02-2011 at 07:36 AM.
Old 07-03-2011, 02:33 PM   #14
Sigilus

That's a pretty cool usage of the midi tracks there!
Sigilus is offline   Reply With Quote