Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for macOS

Old 10-21-2018, 12:18 AM   #1
vanhaze
Human being with feelings

Default Reaper on Bootcamp: Quite WOW !

Yesterday i installed Windows 10 Pro on my Macbook retina 2015 , OSX Mojave, via Bootcamp.
I was just curious how Reaper - windows version would look, in comparision to Reaper - OSX.
Where Reaper-OSX looks quite "misty" and unsharp for me, i was quite stunned to see Reaper-Windows looks way much sharper and detailed.
Also, i noticed that, indeed, scrolling and moving Items in Arrange was way smoother in windows version than in OSX (i already knew this by having read numerous posts about this in the past).

My idea is going for a new Hackintosh Z390 - I9 9900K but with having experienced this, i wonder sometimes to just gonnna use it as a Windows computer and run Reaper-windows on it.
Old 10-21-2018, 01:45 AM   #2
Futur8me

Nothing wrong with windows 10 I enjoy using it, I just prefer using macOS for audio.., on the 30th October apple are having another conference product release so if they do not show any of their new upcoming Macs then I will be leaving Mac and building a pc and using windows/Reaper.

Old 10-21-2018, 02:03 AM   #3
vanhaze

Yeah, i hear Ya !

I am aware of the Apple Event on 30-10.
Would be nice if they reveal more info about the upcoming modular Mac Pro.
Old 10-21-2018, 02:41 AM   #4
Futur8me

Yes I hope they do also.., but I am also thinking and feeling that if the developers of Reaper are not going to make the GUI look and run as good on macOS as it does on windows then I might just stick with windows and eventually build a new pc.., no point in buying a new Mac for windows..

We will wait and see what happens.

Old 10-21-2018, 03:15 AM   #5
vanhaze

Yes I hope they do also.., but I am also thinking and feeling that if the developers of Reaper are not going to make the GUI look and run as good on macOS as it does on windows...

My gut says this is unluckily enough not going to happen..
Old 10-30-2018, 01:09 PM   #6
dupont

intersting to kown Reaper runs better on W10 than OSX.
No new today about the bew Imac, so I will probably replace my old imac by a powerfull PC laptop with a external screen.
dupont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 06:26 AM   #7
rogpfreck

I installed Windows 8 some time ago on my Mac mini. I was surprised to find it ‘worked’ better on there than my actual Windows laptop!

Didn’t try Reaper on the Mac mini Windows but I could envisage it running well. Everything else ran good. Though of course Windows 8 itself was mostly pants, IMO. Upgraded to a better Mac Mini and find Reaper runs well under Mac OS. Didn’t install Windows 8/10 though as no need so far.

I’ve been testing Logic Pro X. It seems so inflexible compared to Reaper, although, of course it does have many good points. Early analysis: it’s like wearing an amiable straight jacket! Back to Reaper.
rogpfreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 09:43 AM   #8
Link0126

I'm telling you these macs are not what they used to be. I have to run Pro Tools for my job and half the time the audio will play back distorted, probably something with the driver, although I use a RME babyface Pro and the problem never occurs with Reaper. Also didn't happen on my previous Mac Pro. I have noticed more crashes in Reaper though since "upgrading" to a 2017 iMac after the Mac Pro died. That 2009 Mac Pro was just incredible.
Link0126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 06:20 AM   #9
deeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanhaze View Post
I was just curious how Reaper - windows version would look, in comparision to Reaper - OSX.
Where Reaper-OSX looks quite "misty" and unsharp for me, i was quite stunned to see Reaper-Windows looks way much sharper and detailed.
Also, i noticed that, indeed, scrolling and moving Items in Arrange was way smoother in windows version than in OSX (i already knew this by having read numerous posts about this in the past).
this is (not) really nice to know! #$&$/%(%)#"%" :/ i wonder how much the difference! hmmm! i don't know!
deeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 04:04 AM   #10
dupont

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogpfreck View Post

I’ve been testing Logic Pro X. It seems so inflexible compared to Reaper, although, of course it does have many good points. Early analysis: it’s like wearing an amiable straight jacket! Back to Reaper.
gave an other try to Logic yesterday morning and didn't remenber it was so "unlogic" and missed lot of Reaper features.
Alchemy is the more painfull soft synth I has never seen, what a messy modulation system, what a headhacke !
So switch back to Reaper on the afternoon to finish my song !

Logic looks good but has a poor engine, Reaper doesn't look as good but has a powerfull engine.
dupont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 01:57 PM   #11
robgb

I have Reaper on both Mac and PC and haven't noticed a single bit of difference. One of the many things I like about Reaper.
robgb is offline   Reply With Quote