Old 02-22-2018, 10:24 PM   #1
Squierrel
Human being with feelings

Default Roland Rubix 22 not recording?

I have recently replaced my constantly crashing Line6 UX1 interface with the new Roland Rubix 22. Wonderful device, not a single crash in several hours, and the latency is minimal with various guitar amp&effect software, PodFarm, Guitar Rig, AmpLion.

However, I have so far not been able to record anything useful with Reaper. I got mono input only recorded on a very low level, as if Reaper would be bypassing the amp software completely and recording only the dry unprocessed signal.

What is going on? Is there a setting I've set wrong or is there a bug in Roland's ASIO driver? I tried ASIO4ALL driver but that did not help. Do I have a faulty hardware?

When I start Reaper, PodFarm goes offline, I can hear only the unprocessed mono signal. I must restart PodFarm, to hear the stereo effects again, but recording them is still not possible.
Squierrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 02:09 AM   #2
solger

In general, using the dedicated Roland Rubix ASIO driver is the preferred option.

Since I'm assuming you're recording audio from a guitar, check the following things on the Rubix:

- Is the guitar connected to Input 1L and the HI-Z button enabled for this input?
- Is the SENS 1L input level knob for Input 1 set to a decent level?

In addition:

- How does your current Track setup look like?
- And how are you monitoring the audio: via the Direct Monitoring function on the Rubix? Or with the Monitor Input Button enabled inside Reaper (see the 'speaker icon' button on the right in the image below) ?

As a general side note: depending on where the effect plugins are inserted, it will either record the dry audio signal (Track FX). Or the processed/effected audio signal (Input FX):

Last edited by solger; 02-23-2018 at 02:29 AM.
solger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 04:11 AM   #3
Squierrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by solger View Post
- Is the SENS 1L input level knob for Input 1 set to a decent level?
It is on a very low level. I have a 1W tube amp connected to the input, so I have to keep that low to avoid clipping. However, most of the signal amplification takes place in the amp simulation software, which Reaper seems to be ignoring.

Quote:
- And how are you monitoring the audio: via the Direct Monitoring function on the Rubix? Or with the Monitor Input Button enabled inside Reaper (see the 'speaker icon' button on the right in the image below) ?
I am monitoring through headphones. The direct monitoring switch at the back seems to have no effect on what I hear from the headphones or what I'm able to record.

I have tried all the options available on the track window, perhaps not the correct combination.

Quote:
As a general side note: depending on where the effect plugins are inserted, it will either record the dry audio signal (Track FX). Or the processed/effected audio signal (Input FX):
I am not using any plugins at all while recording. I am using standalone amp&effect software not launched from within Reaper. This is how everything worked well with the Line6 hardware. No need to setup any FX routing.
Old 02-23-2018, 12:08 PM   #4
Stella645

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squierrel View Post

I am not using any plugins at all while recording. I am using standalone amp&effect software not launched from within Reaper. This is how everything worked well with the Line6 hardware. No need to setup any FX routing.
This was the selling point of the line6.....Tonedirect monitoring of PodFarm or Gearbox or whatever it was.
Other interfaces do not support this. You have to use plugins.

Last edited by Stella645; 02-23-2018 at 01:26 PM.
Stella645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 10:19 PM   #5
Squierrel

Default The problem is not in monitoring, it's in recording

Now, I'm a little confused. What role does the monitoring play here?

With the old Line6 hardware I had almost zero latency with Line6 software, due to the ToneDirect monitoring. I did have an audible latency with the other standalone amp simulators and that's why I never used them for recording.

Now with the new Roland hardware I have almost zero latency equally with all the amp simulators. I can hear my guitar sound instantaneously enough for me not to notice any delay.

The problem is that I cannot record that sound that I'm hearing. Reaper is no more listening.

I would not like to go to recording dry and reamping only afterwards with plugins.
Old 02-24-2018, 02:36 AM   #6
solger

Quote:
I am not using any plugins at all while recording. I am using standalone amp&effect software not launched from within Reaper.
OK, if you want to record the affected/wet audio output from the standalone amp software, you'll have to somehow route the audio from the standalone application into Reaper.

For instance by using a virtual audio cable (software): https://www.vb-audio.com/Cable/
Or you can try using WASAPI loopback mode (see post #7): https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=190798

Otherwise use the plugin version (if one is available) of the amp effect/software inside Reaper directly as Input FX.

Last edited by solger; 02-24-2018 at 02:46 AM.
Old 02-24-2018, 06:04 AM   #7
Stella645

Basically the line6 is running the plugin process on a chip in the device and sending it out the monitoring rather than needing to go into and back out of the computer.

With the Roland at the same (low as possible) buffer settings and assuming no latency inducing plugs in the monitor chain, I wouldn't think you should see much difference between using standalone and using plugin amp sims.

But if you need to up the buffers as the project get's busier or if you are adding plugins that have latency you will always struggle with playing amp sims.
Stella645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 10:39 AM   #8
Squierrel

Thank you both for your help. I have now learned new things.

I have now activated the InputFX and used PodFarm as a plugin. Now everything works smoothly with no noticeable latency.

What I still don't quite get is why do I have to do things differently in Reaper now? Why can't Reaper record the standalone-processed sound anymore? The signal is there, but Reaper just doesn't accept it. It is hard to see how the change of hardware could cause this, as this is only setting up the signal path in software differently.
Old 02-24-2018, 11:08 AM   #9
solger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squierrel View Post
What I still don't quite get is why do I have to do things differently in Reaper now? Why can't Reaper record the standalone-processed sound anymore? The signal is there, but Reaper just doesn't accept it. It is hard to see how the change of hardware could cause this, as this is only setting up the signal path in software differently.
I'd assume that the Line6 UX1 has an internal loopback function (for routing the audio output back to the inputs), which the Rubix 22 hasn't. Hence different requirements for the setup.