Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for Linux

Old 08-02-2020, 03:55 PM   #1
4duhwinnn
Human being with feelings

Default Proteus VX scans OK, but standalone only works in DirectSound

EDIT: I got the plugin version working with LinVst!(what a great tool that is!!!)
Then I just had to initialize the soundbank from the files menu options

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, this was one of the duhhh days, but the standalone issue still exists.
Previously,

...I tried Proteus VX in Reaper 5.x and 6.x and it would not scan, whether installed in Program Files or the x(86) path...tried in wine-staging 5 stable, and 5.10. (edit: After linux linvst wrapped the plugin, the .so scanned fine, and the basic functions seem alive.)

The standalone still has issues. I ran the standalone to activate the soundbank, but I get no sound when using wineasio, while the meters show sound is being generated...and all other standalones are working with wineasio, like K6, Pigments, Reaktor, Yoshimi etc

If I select DirectSound in prefs, VX works fine, but with massive llllllllatencyyyy

Anybody using this standalone successfully?
Cheers

Last edited by 4duhwinnn; 08-03-2020 at 07:34 PM. Reason: clarify
4duhwinnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 04:28 PM   #2
4duhwinnn

The sound library must be initialized, the file is:

/home/you/.wine/drive_c/Program Files (x86)/Creative Professional/E-MU Sound Central/Proteus X Composer v2.0.1.exb

Use the File menu to do this. To see the (long) list of presets,
click the 'Sampler' buttom on the bottom left.

Choosing a new sound takes you to it's edit page, to return to the
VX front page, click on the 'Proteus VX Vsti' text button on the upper left.
Lots for the sonic tourist to do, with some spare hours to play...

Cheers
Old 08-02-2020, 05:05 PM   #3
Glennbo

See if you can create a new project, add a Proteus VX, dial up any sound and save the project. Then, does the project open, or does it blow with a windows exception error?

The song I recently did using nothing but Windows VSTi plugins had a track with Proteus VX and it appeared to work, but the next time I tried to load the project, it would blow up. So I did a project with nothing but an instance of Proteus VX and it exhibited the same Windows exception. I am running a pretty old copy of LinVST because, other than this it's not broke enough for me to fix it.

I ended up recovering that project, adding Proteus VX and immediately freezing the track and nuking Proteus so my project would load next time. Maybe this is fixed in later versions of LinVST, or maybe some other wine tweak is needed, but the symptom I see is that I can load Proteus VX from scratch and everything is okay, but a saved project trying to load it blows up.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 06:24 PM   #4
4duhwinnn

I discovered that when saving a project, proteus opens a tiny window
behind reaper, mentioning 'The sample content has been changed, do you want to save it?'

I answered 'no', and quit Reaper. Restarted, and the project loaded.
Then made a new project, clicked to save it, scooted 3 windows out of the way, and found the postage-stamp size window again, answered 'no' again,
and the new project loaded when I next started Reaper.

Using linvst 2.82
Ubuntu Studio 19.10
wine-staging 5.10
Reaper 5.987

Hope that helps in your case.
Cheers

Last edited by 4duhwinnn; 08-02-2020 at 06:32 PM. Reason: mow
Old 08-02-2020, 06:48 PM   #5
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4duhwinnn View Post
I discovered that when saving a project, proteus opens a tiny window
behind reaper, mentioning 'The sample content has been changed, do you want to save it?'

I answered 'no', and quit Reaper. Restarted, and the project loaded.
Then made a new project, clicked to save it, scooted 3 windows out of the way, and found the postage-stamp size window again, answered 'no' again,
and the new project loaded when I next started Reaper.

Using linvst 2.82
Ubuntu Studio 19.10
wine-staging 5.10
Reaper 5.987

Hope that helps in your case.
Cheers
I've got LinVST 2.3.1 which has been in place a long time. I may try updating it at some point and see if that changes anything.
Old 08-03-2020, 10:18 PM   #6
osxmidi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennbo View Post
I've got LinVST 2.3.1 which has been in place a long time. I may try updating it at some point and see if that changes anything.
2.3.1 is pretty old.

I did have a size limit when saving projects in the earlier versions that I thought would be ok but changed it to unlimited because of occasional problems with some projects.

I can't remember when I changed it but it was probably after the 2.3.1 version, maybe around 2.5.
osxmidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 07:22 AM   #7
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by osxmidi View Post
2.3.1 is pretty old.

I did have a size limit when saving projects in the earlier versions that I thought would be ok but changed it to unlimited because of occasional problems with some projects.

I can't remember when I changed it but it was probably after the 2.3.1 version, maybe around 2.5.
Maybe I'll try the newer version at some point, but the plugins I use on a regular basis are all working perfectly, so it's not a pressing issue for me.

Last time I updated I got things screwed up with version mismatch errors, and it took a bit to sort out, so I'm hesitant to screw up what currently works fine for Kontakt, Piano Essentials, and Superior Drummer, which are about the only Windows VSTi plugins I really use any more.
Old 08-04-2020, 11:27 AM   #8
4duhwinnn

Stress takes years off our lives. I sleep better and drive safer knowing I have multiple working setups, so one can always be for experiments. We have a recycler with plenty of cheap but useful drives. I put wine-staging 5.14 on one, and will be 'doing the drill' with Korg, Reason Rack, ilock-Manager Izotope MissManager, Cakewalk By Bandlab etc etc shortly.

Yes, what ain't broke sure don't need fixin',
especially the complicated stuff.
Cheers