Old 01-28-2020, 05:57 AM   #1
rmcclain
Human being with feelings

Default Functional Ear Training MP3 Files

I recently pushed up to github some python scripts for generating ear training melody samples. I began experimenting with these scripts when I realized through much effort at musical ear training, that the process of developing a good ear for relative pitch in tonal music was going to take many hours. I had surmised that people who had really good ears had generally spent hours playing by ear, ie, learning to hear something and then just play it, initially by trial and error, and eventually with less effort. That activity is basically transcribing, which is to go directly from sound to symbol (which can either be demonstrated by notating the music or just playing or singing scale degrees). I found ear training software pretty boring, so I generated small music melody samples using REAPER and discovered out how to put scale degree answers into id3 tags within the mp3 files as lyrics.

I've had a lot of success with samples generated with these scripts and was interested in finding out what other (better) musicians thought. So I pushed the scripts up to github here: https://github.com/rmcclain3/motif-generator and so, if you care to check that out it will tell you more of what is there. Also there is a link to a .zip file with over 4,000 tiny .mp3 files, broken into 9 collections of different scales, modes, and other chromatic pitches. All they are is sequences of pitches, no more than 12 pitches in length. And the scale degree notation for each melody is embedded in the lyric id3 tag, so you see the scale degrees right on your phone (given a capable enough app).

And by the way, please let me know if there are other (or more appropriate) places to be posting this information.

Thanks!
rmcclain is offline   Reply With Quote