Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 01-13-2020, 10:18 AM   #1
Nick@Mat
Human being with feelings

Default CFX Concert Grand VSTi cracking and popping noises

Hi Everyone,
I recently installed the Garritan Abbey Road Studios CFX Concert Grand virtual piano as a standalone and as VSTi which I use in REAPER.
The virtual piano works perfectly as a standalone piano.
When I use the VSTi in REAPER, cracking and popping (switching) sounds are audible randomly while playing and recording..
I am also using the well known virtual piano Pianoteq 6 as VSTi, which does not give that specific problem. Pianoteq is a physically modeled instrument whereas The Garritan CFX Concert Grand is a sampled instrument.
My system:
Windows 10
4 Ghz CPU with 8 GB RAM
CFX installed on a dedicated 240 GB SSD
VSTi played with KAWAI MP7 piano
MIDI via KAWAI USB
The Mixer is a Yamaha MG10 XU and the driver is ASIO.

I have liaised with the (very helpful and professional) Customer Support Representative of MakeMusic, Inc. They are investigating.

Hope that someone can give me some input on this issue.

Mathieu
Nick@Mat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2021, 07:44 AM   #2
Gruust
Human being with feelings

I have the same issue. The reason seems to be an incompatibility between Reaper and the Aria Player Engine. You can avoid the issue by closing the CFX UI. There are no issues in Cubase. Only Reaper. Everything works fine even with a buffer size of 32 samples under Windows 10. But if you have the plugin UI open under Reaper, those sound distortions appear no matter how large the buffer size is. Standalone player seems to be fine, too.

If you consider Cubase as the VST reference implementation, there is definitely something that Reaper makes different here. Though I wonder why it seems that no other plugin has these issues.... the Aria player engine is probably doing something outside the VST specification.

Will you report this to the Garritan makers? If so, I'd join in to make some pressure there.
Gruust is offline   Reply With Quote