Old 12-03-2019, 11:17 AM   #1
toleolu
Human being with feelings

Default Hackintosh question.

I was not aware you could build a mac clone until I saw something in the Newbie section by someone building his first Hackintosh. Looked it up and sure enough, it can be done.

Just curious if any of you have done that, or know someone who has, and was it worth it as far as cost and OS support goes versus buying a Mac?
toleolu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 03:01 PM   #2
vanhaze

I have used 2 Hackintoshes for music/audioproduction and now i am saving money for my next Hackintosh.
I can tell you this: Once properly configured, a Hackintosh is a normal Apple computer but on Steroids, as if you are working on a genuine Apple for half the price and twice the performance.
Old 12-03-2019, 03:49 PM   #3
toleolu

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanhaze View Post
I have used 2 Hackintoshes for music/audioproduction and now i am saving money for my next Hackintosh.
I can tell you this: Once properly configured, a Hackintosh is a normal Apple computer but on Steroids, as if you are working on a genuine Apple for half the price and twice the performance.
Thanks, are there any issues with Apple recognizing it as a valid OS?

My old gaming PC is getting a little long in the tooth, pretty much all I do on it anymore is Reaper. Always liked Mac's, (love my iPad) something worth looking into.
Old 12-03-2019, 09:32 PM   #4
nait

This idea intrigues me too, if for no other reason than to find out what all the fuss about Logic is about
My Rig (also serves as my gaming PC): MSI Mag X570 Tomahawk Mobo, Ryzen R9 3900X, 32GB RAM, Samsung 960 Evo 500gb NVMe, Crucial 1TB NVMe, NVidia RTX 2080 Super, Arturia Minifuse 2, Nektar Impact LX25+ MIDI Controller Keyboard.
nait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 09:31 AM   #5
toleolu

I remember my first experience on a Mac. I was blown away. First time to use a mouse and the program was an early flight simulator with line graphics.

The thing I always liked, and respected, about Apple is how they stuck to their guns regarding keeping their hardware and software proprietary, unlike the no mans land of the PC clones.

Turn your Mac off, connect a printer, turn the Mac on and everything works. Compared to getting a printer installed on an old DOS machine, it was like, DAMN!!!!

I came across this site:

https://hackintosh.com/

Looks like it might have some pretty good info. Just need to nail down the OS support question. Don't want to do this if I can't get MacOS updates.
Old 12-04-2019, 10:08 AM   #6
nait

That's funny, I've always liked PC/Windows more for the opposite reason. More choices = more options and typically at lower prices. I hate proprietary stuff. It forces me to do things one way, and again, at whatever price they want to charge. I've been using PCs for years (sounds like you have too though), over 3 decades, so I know my way around installing pretty much anything. Problems are generally quite limited, and the savings has been more important to me.

Plus, I'm a gamer (less so now, however), and back in the day, aside from games like Myst, almost everything came out on PC, and a lot didn't come out on Mac.

Different strokes for different folks though!

There are some apps on Mac only that I'm really interested in though.. again, Logic being one.
My Rig (also serves as my gaming PC): MSI Mag X570 Tomahawk Mobo, Ryzen R9 3900X, 32GB RAM, Samsung 960 Evo 500gb NVMe, Crucial 1TB NVMe, NVidia RTX 2080 Super, Arturia Minifuse 2, Nektar Impact LX25+ MIDI Controller Keyboard.
nait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 11:27 AM   #7
vanhaze

FWIW: 2 more great Hackintosh resources popped my mind:

Community/Forum:
https://hackintosher.com/

Female who really knows what she is talking about, regarding Hackintoshing (Youtube Channel):
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCg5...utPd7Y1zqfQ3iA

I check these 2 resources on a regular basis to keep up with the Hackintosh World.