Old 02-11-2020, 10:07 AM   #1
timryan257
Human being with feelings

Default Copy / duplicate spectral edits ?

I've got a "remastering" project underway and I'm using spectral edits to bring down some overly brash crash cymbals in an imported stereo wav file. I've got a half dozen songs to do from the same recording/mix session that have the nasty cymbal. I've created a spectral edit that helps alot with the cymbal, and now I'm looking for a way to duplicate that spectral edit across the many occurrences of the crash cymbal in the several songs. I haven't been able to find any reference to copy/paste or duplicate for spectral edits -- is this possible, or do I need to create each one from scratch ?

thanks

tim
timryan257 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 03:16 PM   #2
EpicSounds

Script: mpl_Copy selected item spectral edits.lua
Script: mpl_Paste and replace spectral edits to selected item.lua
Old 02-11-2020, 04:25 PM   #3
timryan257

thanks for the quick reply Jon. I loaded those scripts, they seem to run without error, but I don't see any result. Specifically, I have a stereo wav item that has a pair of matching spectral edits [one per channel]. I select one of them and run the "copy" script, then select another location in the same item and run the "paste" script, and voila, nothing.

any help you suggest is much appreciated. I'm kinda new to the script thing.

edit - for what its worth, I just loaded and ran the mpl script to bypass spectral edits in the selected item. Works fine.

tim

Last edited by timryan257; 02-11-2020 at 05:10 PM.
Old 02-11-2020, 05:17 PM   #4
EpicSounds

I only briefly tested, but they seemed to work for me.

select item, run copy script

select destination item, run paste script.

the position of the pasted edit is based on the item start time. Splitting the item first may help. you can probably heal the split after
Old 02-12-2020, 11:40 AM   #5
timryan257

ok, it kinda works, but I don't see how I can use it to deal with my particular challenge. I need to copy and paste a particular spectral edit to a bunch of places in a song, which is one item. If I split the song into separate items, one for each place I want to apply the spectral edit, it pastes the edit at the same point on the time line as the original. So it can't be seen or moved unless I then drag the 2nd item back out across the 1st item and then move the edit to the new location. Very messy. It would make a lot more sense to have the paste occur at the cursor location, as one would normally copy and paste. Unless I'm missing something ... Ah well
Old 02-12-2020, 02:42 PM   #6
EpicSounds

this is why I suggested splitting the item first so the spectral edit is copied/pasted at the start of the item.

for now this is the only way to copy and paste spectral edits
Old 02-13-2020, 03:53 PM   #7
timryan257

I've come up with a work around that helps ... not sure if this is actually what you were suggesting or kinda different. I created a spectral edit that addresses the problem cymbal, stretching across the length of the item [song]. If I then split the item at a location near where I actually want the edit to occur, it splits both the underlying item and the edit itself. I can then easily resize the length of the edit or move it as needed.

thanks for the help !
Old 09-03-2023, 05:15 PM   #8
Triode

Oldish thread I know, but for anyone looking for another answer to this, across the middle of a spectral edit there is a light grey bar. If you're on mac if you hold command while mouse-dragging that bar the spectral edit is duplicated to where you release the mouse (limited to within the same item). Not sure what the modifier is on PC.
Old 10-14-2023, 10:59 AM   #9
Cosmic Pig

+1 for copy paste spectral edit boxes. I'm going through a squelchy Marshall chunk guitar track and there's big squeaks sometimes between chords. Control drag is hard when they're far apart.