Old 11-17-2010, 01:27 PM   #121
ted
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by beingmf View Post
As I see this: has anyone tried a UAD-1 on the slave, or wouldn't it work since the plugins wouldn't show up in the host without the hardware present??
i thought about too..
i believe, if it were to work at all, you'd need a UAD-1 on both computers

ted
ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 03:06 PM   #122
hamish

Default RE. UAD

beingmf, ted - I don't use UAD plugs myself, so I'm not sure if the following info. is current and applicable to the soft/hardware that you have.

griz lee reported using UAD on ReaMote back in 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by griz lee View Post
guys,

i haven't tested this with the newest drivers (4.7.1), but as far as 4.6 which i've got installed, you can actually do a neat trick with the UAD plugins. They will work with Reamote!

Here's how:

install the uad driver, and plugins onto the machine without the card. Sounds dumb, huh? Well, what i found happens is that the interfaces come up fully functional, nothing else of course happens. BUT, that's good enough for ReaMote, it just needs the interface of the plugs to be the same I think. What then happens as far as processing is sent off to the remote slave.

So, with your plugins+card on the remote machine, and using just the interfaces on the local machine, you can access your uad-1 via reamote and still get the interfaces.

Magic. I hope this still works in 4.7. The above appears fine for me in 4.6

However, like you I have loads of stuff on dongle (urs mainly) that i can't use. It certainly would be good to have the actual gui of the remote plugins pop up, and also to be able to split parts of fx chains for local and remote processing so you don't get the all or nothing deal we have. This said, I absolutely love ReaMote !! A very, very cool feature indeed.
hamish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 03:23 PM   #123
hamish

Default thanks ted

Thanks for your excellent post above ted.

I haven't done much reamote at all lately, been happily busy exploring another incredible REAPER funcionality - running off a USB key, just stick the key and a good set of headphones into any computer anywhere and work on your projects. Incredible. Also the reason I'm doing this is to develop a sound mixing course that I need to be cross-platform, and really the only contenders were REAPER or Cubase. The decision wasn't difficult to make! The upshot of all this for this thread may be that I get to use ReaMote on a whole classroom full of Dell XP boxes over Gigabit Yee - Haa!!

This is interesting \/ a good cautionary tale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ted View Post

anyway, back to reamote, thinking i might get reamote to work even smoother, i started experimenting with a firewall [firewire?] connection.. i got reamote to connect on both computers, but, the 10/100 connection had to be present for it to connect.. even, then, reamote, used only the 10/100 connection. the firewire connection was connected but did nothing for my reamote... after spending, way too much time, with the firewire....( i'll probably leave the firewire installed to do backups from master to slave ), it is destined not to be a part of my reamote..
On another topic you raised, I think also you'll find that putting the PCI Gigabit Network Card into your master machine will let you increase your track count in ReaMote projects

you mentioned a chain with 26 plugs, but not how many chains/tracks reamoted.

I'm really busy writing my course, and unfortunately ReaMote has to take a back seat for now. My priority in ReaMote research is to finish a list of the popular 3rd party VSTi that work well over reamote, rather than specific hardware configurations

Thanks again,
Hamish
Old 11-17-2010, 03:41 PM   #124
ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamish View Post
Thanks for your excellent post above ted.

I haven't done much reamote at all lately, been happily busy exploring another incredible REAPER funcionality - running off a USB key, just stick the key and a good set of headphones into any computer anywhere and work on your projects. Incredible. Also the reason I'm doing this is to develop a sound mixing course that I need to be cross-platform, and really the only contenders were REAPER or Cubase. The decision wasn't difficult to make! The upshot of all this for this thread may be that I get to use ReaMote on a whole classroom full of Dell XP boxes over Gigabit Yee - Haa!!

This is interesting \/ a good cautionary tale.

On another topic you raised, I think also you'll find that putting the PCI Gigabit Network Card into your master machine will let you increase your track count in ReaMote projects

you mentioned a chain with 26 plugs, but not how many chains/tracks reamoted.

I'm really busy writing my course, and unfortunately ReaMote has to take a back seat for now. My priority in ReaMote research is to finish a list of the popular 3rd party VSTi that work well over reamote, rather than specific hardware configurations

Thanks again,
Hamish
hamish,

that is 26 chains, total 46 plugs and 35 tracks. did not include any tracks or effects that were muted... i have loaded many more... take, for example, in song i am referencing. i got waves mercury, stomp boxes loaded on 2 guitar tracks that have 4 different effects (sub-vsts)or stomps loaded per vst.. i counted them as 1....

if this sounds outlandish, then i must be doing something....
all the gear i ordered today has been shipped... when i get installed i report results..

thanx,
ted

STUDENT: School of Hard Knocks

Last edited by ted; 11-17-2010 at 03:41 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-17-2010, 03:48 PM   #125
ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by ted View Post
hamish,

that is 26 chains, total 46 plugs and 35 tracks. did not include any tracks or effects that were muted... i have loaded many more... take, for example, in song i am referencing. i got waves mercury, stomp boxes loaded on 2 guitar tracks that have 4 different effects (sub-vsts)or stomps loaded per vst.. i counted them as 1....

if this sounds outlandish, then i must be doing something....
all the gear i ordered today has been shipped... when i get installed i report results..

thanx,
ted

and, as far as track counts, the highest i ever recorded and played has been 90 tracks. keep in mind that i am keyboardist and, other than piano or b-3 track, my other tracks are snibbits..
3 or 4 part harmony for a 3 or 4 note line/punch in song... then another 3 or 4 tracks for the next line/punch... just the way i do things...
i can seriously mix doing my work this way...

again,
thanx,

ted

Last edited by ted; 11-17-2010 at 03:50 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-17-2010, 05:32 PM   #126
hamish

Default 35 tracks = working setup, for sure

This is great ted, sounds like your workflow is sorted.

I think I must have spent too many years on tape 4-track! My biggest projects only run to 16-24 tracks. Often I'm only using 8, and don't even need to reamote.

It's good to hear that you're able to exploit your machines in this way. I think those loading problems may be with us for as long as we try new plugs over reamote.

You must have number of blocks, packets sizes, and render send ahead just right to be getting this performance.

Also, do you track by monitoring your keyboard from it's hardware audio while recording midi into your project, monitoring the existing tracks (previously recorded midi) over reamote? That's just my guess, your new midi will be latency compensated.

If you say that you're doing 24+ tracks over ReaMote AND tracking with a softsynth I'm going to be scared! (what IS your render send ahead?)

Nice to talk,
hamish

PS. Seeing as you've reamoted a lot of plugins, would you mind doing a simple evaluation on some of them and posting here? It could be a real help

Here's a proposed format for reporting good plugs in ReaMote. Maybe use the quote button and build the list up, putting things alphabetical.

Quote:

Accordion Safwan matni ---------- Patches are sent and GUI midi sent while reamoted [good]

ASynth (Antti @ Smartelectronix) (mono) --- Runs, patches are sent. Patches change while reamoted (no glitch). GUI tweaks are processed on the fly by ReaMote, no glitches [good]

GTG PD9 (Mikael Sybrandt) --- Runs. patch sent. GUI tweaks processed on the fly while Reamoted. [good]

String Theory (chris sciurba) ----- Runs, correct PC is selected on ReaMote. UI data is sent, even with Interface on bridge. [good]

To me a VSTi or VST FX would be rated as 'good' if the above are true, that patches and GUI tweaks are able to be sent in realtime, with no glitch or stutter.

Last edited by hamish; 11-17-2010 at 05:42 PM.
Old 11-17-2010, 07:06 PM   #127
ted

Default ted's back ( . ) ( . )

here comes a huge surprise for you !!!!!!!!!
i only use midi to record drum tracks from boss dr-770 drum machine..
all else is a direct mono or stereo input.............

stereo inputs are loaded from a roland p-330 (piano) and 3 e-mu, synth modules, the b-3, proteus 2000 and virtuoso 2000.

and, an antares avp-1 vocal producer module for vocals..single channel input and selectable, 1 or 2 channel output.. nice tricks you can do with this module..

the antares is loaded from input of a 2 channel, audiobuddy pre-amp w/selectable phantom power.....

2nd channel of audiobuddy is for guitar/bass input...

all of this is input directly into dual layla 20's... i use 14 of the 16 tracks i have available...

reference headphone output is monitored thru a sony w-33 digital cd recorder... which is feed thru spdif 24bit digital output on layla 20

the sony w-33 has a routine that takes the last 8 bits of a 24 bit word and interweaves into 1st 16 bits.... i could find no other recorder that did not simply chop off the last 8 bits to achieve 16 bits for cd recording... computers do the same thing.. they will only record data at 24 bits.... the w-33 gives me a true 24 bit recording... it is true, that they ain't much info in those last 8 bits of word,,, but, why waste 'em..

final recorded output is also monitored, thru the layla 20, into event, studio 8 reference monitors....

it has been trial, error, pay to play, all the way...

also i should add, that i found somewhere a xp program (probably mircosofts) that re-indexes entire system each time there is a boot... having done some rpg (ibm) mini-mainframe programing in another life (1970's and i ran from programing, drove me nuts !!!)... i found that scrambled indexes/pointers are a computer's worse nightmare... not so much with indexed files, but with files that use pointers to get from point a to b... them baby's are #1 reason most business software developer's help centers exist and can continue to make a profit.....

as to the vst question,, i'm gonna be straight up with you.. the sonnox vst's are by far, the best vst's i've used.. included in package are the native: dynamics, eq, inflator, limiter, reverb and transmod vst's...

i use the sonnox eq and reverb, almost exclusively and have other good options to choose from ...it is the ease of use, and the sonnox, common sense approach to the end user's ease of use of vst's...that makes them really simple to use and understand.. they sound really great and work flawlessly with reamote...

been at this song-writer, producer thing since feb. 2009... started gigging in 1964.. now, retired and lovin' it...

take care .........

regards,
ted

Last edited by ted; 11-17-2010 at 07:08 PM. Reason: spellin'
Old 11-17-2010, 09:32 PM   #128
ted

Default I'Ve dOne CliMbED tha - FIREWIRE MOUNTAIN !!!!

got REAMOTE to work using FIREWIRE............. actually, has been working since, yesterday some time.............

i had to download the Stillwell Spectro Vst to use alongside the "Breaking Barriers"......(reaper's,, "how to mix a real nice song handbook")... during the install is when i saw,,,,,,,, and the lights flashed, purple, green, red & yellow..and, no,,not a flashback from the 60's. i stopped decades, ago............................................... ...........

when i opened the vst and noticed for the 1st time that a remote #2 connection was active a option, "knew, i'd done been stupid, again.."
probably a song somewhere in that....!!!!!!!

born stupid, die not as stupid, but by not much,,,corporate policy.........

anyway, i done so much writing in last couple of days, on reamote, thought i go ahead and run some numbers on same song i've been referring to in previous posts.

so here it be....

64bit vst processing...
local area network / 10/100 router....
cpu 58 to 69%
fx's processed, locally, consumed 48% of total 58 to 69% cpu consumption
local area network.. 10/100 router connection shows 54% utilization

then i moved all remotely processed vst's from remote 1 to remote 2, firewire connection...
cpu 59 to 72%
locally processed fx's consumed 50% of the total 59 to 72% cpu consumption
firewire connection 13 to 23% network utilization

then i moved firewire connection down to 32 bit vst processing
cpu 59 to 68%
locally processed fx's consumed 49% of the 59 to 68% cpu consumption
firewire connection stayed fairly constant at 7 to 10% network utilization

i have a few vsti's that reamote just won't load and i have to process locally.. so i end mixing those that will reamote with those that won't..
a neat trick would be to allow 2 fx chains on a single track... then vst load could be better balanced between master and slave computers..( mr.reaperman,you hear?). it is a problem that reamote doen't send back meter responses and such.i do those by ear.... don't matter on most vst's....
on some vst's its a big matter..... so, they get local processing on master computer...and, would you not know it, they generally be the cpu crunchers, too..

don't think any of this matters to many, but to a few who are attempting to process vst's using reamote may find the numbers interesting.

thanx,
ted

Old 11-18-2010, 03:58 PM   #129
hamish

Whoo - Hoo Whooo - Hooo {echos ted from the top of FIREWIRE MOUNTAIN!!}

So wow, there you have it folks the two network hardwares can be available in the one ReaMote sesssion.

It's almost like getting two audio hardwares running at the same time. Back in the pre-asio days a stock PC could only access one soundcard, because of a dedicated IRQ, but that could be subverted if you knew how. Fill up all PCI slots with cheap sound cards and create an 8-track recorder.

Ted's setup is probably quite typical for keyboard people who have collected a stash of favourite modules over the years.

As a guitarist often moving and with limited space, I only bought my first keyboard 2 years ago, and it's more for the wife and kids.

I do everything in softsynths, started 10 years ago with things like VAZ modular.

My stuff will usually be sending MIDI to the reamote which runs the softsynth and drums (usually soft sampler sfz) and audio for guitars, the place where I get LOTS of mileage is running many instances of keFIR and oversampling ampsim like Nick Crow Wagner Sharp on guitars - simulated multi-mic on multiple guitar tracks, CPU that would bring my dual core laptop to its knees.

Thanks again ted for the handy hints, I'm keen to find that index repairing tool - I'm assuming that microsoft defrag doesn't perform this on a disk defrag. That's the only maintainance I do on a drive, besides turning OFF system restore and limiting page file size.

hamish
Old 12-01-2010, 05:03 PM   #130
simplecarnival

I posted nearly a year ago in this thread and was considering getting a second computer for Reamote... Now I'm getting more serious.

My main intended use would be for running convolution reverbs on a second computer. Currently, I am using SIR 1 for reverbs.

Earlier in this thread, there is mention that SIR 1 doesn't work well over Reamote. It's also mentioned that ReaVerb doesn't work well over Reamote. SIR 2 isn't freeware like SIR 1 is. keFIR is said to work well over Reamote, but it's a mono -- not stereo -- plug.

So my question is, what free stereo convolution reverb plug-in (if any) works well with Reamote?
Old 12-02-2010, 03:04 PM   #131
hamish

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplecarnival View Post
.. keFIR is said to work well over Reamote, but it's a mono -- not stereo -- plug.

So my question is, what free stereo convolution reverb plug-in (if any) works well with Reamote?
There are two versions of keFIR one channel and two channel (stereo)

Check your email at your comcast.net account, I have sent you keFIR_v1_2ch.dll (664KB) from optusnet.com.au.

Hope this helps. As I have said, it works very well over ReaMote. Too bad he isn't supporting it anymore.

hamish
Old 12-02-2010, 03:14 PM   #132
simplecarnival

Quote:
There are two versions of keFIR one channel and two channel (stereo)

Check your email at your comcast.net account, I have sent you keFIR_v1_2ch.dll (664KB) from optusnet.com.au.

Hope this helps. As I have said, it works very well over ReaMote. Too bad he isn't supporting it anymore.

hamish
Hi Hamish --

I didn't know there was a stereo version. I didn't receive the attachment, because my ISP probably views an e-mail with an attached DLL file as a virus. Could you post a direct link to where you found it on the net? I didn't see a d/l location for it.

Thanks!
Old 12-11-2010, 12:09 AM   #133
simplecarnival

I got a Intel Duo quad core set up for a second computer and ReaMote is running extremely well.

SIR 1 works just fine for reverbs -- which was the main reason for me wanting to use ReaMote. I'm finally able to have lots of tracks *and* long, multiple reverbs without bringing the computer to its knees. No more deliberately picking short reverbs to save on CPU power!

There's a lot of things I love about Reaper, but ReaMote might be my favorite.
Old 12-11-2010, 07:57 PM   #134
hamish

Hi Jeff, I have emailed you a link for freeverb3. It works O.K. from REAPER in my basic tests (comparing with ReaVerb).

I'll try to get around to testing over ReaMote sometime. Have not done ReaMote for a while due to the wheels on my rack leaving gouge marks on the soft wood floor Also just generally busy in other areas. Hope one of us may be able to establish the IR reverber of choice over ReaMote in the near future.
Hamish
Old 12-12-2010, 07:52 PM   #135
hamish

Default Freeverb 3 over ReaMote

I made some time today to test Freeverb3 over ReaMote, and so far so good.

The Freeverb3 impulser is multi-slot, like ReaVerb. Unlike ReaVerb the interface is not so sophisticated. Ugly MIGHT be the word.

I did a minimal test with a PIV as the master. 100 Mbps ethernet connection, Core 2 Duo as the slave. Both using win XP 32 bit.

The really great thing is this -

1) I loaded up one slot of Freeverb3 impulser with a long IR from my NAS drive. One of cAPSLOCKS synthetic creations you will find on noisevault. (.. when they're online again .. Thanks james for all your wonderful work over the last 3-4 years)

2) With the project PLAYING, I switched the FX chain to ReaMote processing and there was no glitch, just a modest 2.4% CPU on my slave for the one chain.

Cool!
Hamish

Last edited by hamish; 12-12-2010 at 08:01 PM.
Old 12-12-2010, 07:56 PM   #136
hamish

Default more on freeverb3

homepage: http://sourceforge.net/projects/freeverb3/

What the developer says -

"Sound effect library which includes high quality freeverb, nreverb, impulse response
convolution reverb, hard/soft compressor/limiter, LPF/BPF/HPF, band splitter,
XMMS/BMP/audacious plugins, Steinberg VST plugins and sample programs."

There are multiple windows binaries available.

For my ReaMote test, and for all my use so far, I use the 'single-precision' SSE version ---

http://sourceforge.net/projects/free...1.zip/download

regards
Hamish
Old 01-10-2011, 10:00 AM   #137
beingmf

Default FYI

UAD does work – no drivers installed on the host machine! Just the plugin dll's
OK, I don't have any visual feedback from the compressors, but in fact I like listening better than watching meters. Happy ol' Pentium4 sitting underneath the desk now, with no keyboard or mouse attached, just a network cable

Must try the same with Nebula reverbs now... <- EDIT: sorry, this won't work, due to the way Nebula works, AND I'd need 2 licenses. The good news: they're going to release Nebula server soon.

Last edited by beingmf; 01-13-2011 at 06:02 AM.
beingmf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 01:48 PM   #138
Vernon

Quote:
Originally Posted by beingmf View Post
Must try the same with Nebula reverbs now... <- EDIT: sorry, this won't work, due to the way Nebula works, AND I'd need 2 licenses. The good news: they're going to release Nebula server soon.
Hi,
Reamote with Nebula works "almost" perfectly, of course on my configuration... I don't know if today is the same, but when I bought Nebula v.3 2/3 years ago the "box" had 2 licenses included, so no problems to install it on two pc.
Why "almost"?
I've recently bought the Alex'b PCS (Preamp Colour Suite) library for Nebula and I've built in Reaper (v. 3.74) a "library tester" in order to choose the best preamp for different kind of audio tracks. I started with guitars: 4 tracks.
For each track, I've an fx chain with 49 Nebula Reverb instances, each one loading a different preamp (the whole Alex'b PCS library).
The fx chain of the first track is running locally, the other 3 chains runs on the slave pc with Reamote.
The guitar part is a 30 sec riff played with 4 different guitars. The riff is duplicated (in sequence) 39 times.
Programming the fx bypass envelopes, I've only 1 preamp per track running at the same time and the rest of fx chain bypassed.
Playing the riff from time 0, I'm going to hear, one at a time, how the different preamps works on guitars.
Ok, the problem is: the fx bypass automation works on the local chain but doesn't works on reamoted fx chains. When the automation goes in "on" status, the fx doesn't goes "on".
I think this is a Reamote bug: no way to automate the bypass of a reamoted fx...

This is my hardware:
Master pc: Intel Core 2 QUAD Q6600 2.4 GHz, 4GB RAM
Slave pc: Intel Core I5-661 3,33 GHz, 4GB RAM
Vernon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 11:29 PM   #139
hamish

Default REAMOTE to the masses

I am now thanks to the good folks at cockos the proud owner of a whole classroom of REAPER workstations. 13 Windows XP hp desktops on gigabit ethernet and a REAPER 3 Educational site licence.

Guess the first thing I did when I had a spare half hour?

REAMOTEd Geoff Francis' latest educational piece 'mod cons' blues from the Sound on Sound 'REAPER Notes' column onto 7# slaves. LUXURY!!!

Windows XP firewall put up the 'keep blocking?' dialog which I declined and REAMOTE was away with just the Cockos VST plugs and JS effects, which is all that are used on 'mod cons'.

It was just a quick test, of course no GUI action on your plugs when REAMOTED, but I -think- that the parameter modulation works over REAMOTE.

I'll need to take some more time and have a closer listen.

Over.
Old 01-14-2012, 01:46 PM   #140
hotjams

Default I'm very interested in this...

bump.
hotjams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 02:15 AM   #141
hamish

Hi there, it'll be another few weeks til I get do do more. I'm at home with kids until school starts again.

When I do more my priorities are to do more ratings for my favorite 70 or so free 3rd party VST synths and FX using REAPER 4.

So stay tuned, but don't hold your breath!
Old 01-19-2012, 08:28 PM   #142
hamish

Default Quick REAMOTE test on VSTSynthFont

Hello, I did 40 mins of REAMOTE today, while the kids watched TV.

The MASTER was an old DELL laptop XPS, windows XP SP2. I ran REAPER from hard drive and also from pendrive. Version 4.02 32 bit (or thereabouts)

The SLAVE was the family box (kitchen computer), win 7 OS, with an Asus mobo and an i5-2410M @ 2.30GHz, meaning that the slave has about 3-4 x the processing power than the laptop. This box was running REAMOTE 0.92 (c) which as far as I know is the current ver.

The connection was X-over (using standard cat 6 cable)

I wanted to test the latest version of VSTSynthFont.dll (available at http://www.synthfont.com/Downloads.html) as it is a free soft sampler with multi-channel audio (32 channels) that has full sf2 and sfz format compliance (in terms of layers, envelopes and filters).

I had no faults, and good noiseless switching, but with only one minimal track.

The main problem with this plug in REAMOTE is that sf2 and sfz file loading has to be done manually on the SLAVE.(unless you are running a remote desktop of your SLAVE machine, which I don't). It may be improved by having mirrored sf2 and sfz directories, as the synthfont .vsarr file uses absolute addressing.

PC on a standard GM bank sf2 is good though, as VSTSynthFont has a full standard MIDI command set for CCs.

hamish
Old 01-20-2012, 12:43 AM   #143
Ozymandias

So it is possible to run a soft sampler on a Reamote slave.

Have you ever attempted something similar with Kontakt Player, Hamish? I'm desperate to be able to use Kontakt on a slave machine, but despite my attempts to mirror my setup on both machines I've yet to have any success.
Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 03:46 AM   #144
hamish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
So it is possible to run a soft sampler on a Reamote slave.

Have you ever attempted something similar with Kontakt Player, Hamish? I'm desperate to be able to use Kontakt on a slave machine, but despite my attempts to mirror my setup on both machines I've yet to have any success.
Kontakt is not a priority for me sorry, especially after my attempts with yellowtools independence. (failed)

The softsamplers I have used are sfz and VSTSynthfont. Sfz is by far the easiest - highly recommended, make 5 or 6 copies ie. sfz1.dll sfz2.dll etc.

I have a feeling that low-latency REAMOTE may not work with plugins that have big bank loads (not talking about samples here, just the configurations of the plugs). I have not tested this but I think if REAMOTE packet size is too small then initialisation may break.

I could be wrong. Initialisation is invoked locally, and contrary to myth does not need to be on mirror drives (for most plugins).

The most amazing thing is that libraries don't have to be mirrored with either sfz or VSTSynthFont. There are still issues with VSTSynthFont and you need to understand the plugins initialisation very well to get the results you want. VSTSynthFont loads sf2 according to the local last .vstarr, and that can't be changed via reamote (until it can be loaded from a network drive, which currently I can't get working...)

Each plugin is different. I tried everything I could with independence including identical mirrored configuratins on MASTER and SLAVE before finally giving up. (I wonder if it would have worked if I made the REAMOTE packets maximum size, but seriously can get to be a waste of time). I just have a nasty feeling that Kontakt will be the same story.

hamish

Last edited by hamish; 01-20-2012 at 03:53 AM.
Old 05-28-2014, 02:20 AM   #145
innuendo

Default Reamote bugs

Hi folks,

Tried to utilize ReaMote in a simple LAN config, and while it DID work for a simple test project with minimal plugins and tracks, I couldn't get it to work reliably in a bigger, actually useful project. Moreover, the reliability wasn't stellar even in those simple ones. Especially with regards to how it behaves in loops.

This is quite a pity, as ReaMote looks like an extremely useful feature with a potential to improve life for many of us short of computing power. And it's >almost< there.

I filed the following 2 bug reports, would be happy if anyone took the time to chime in and make a very simple test on each of them, in order to confirm the reports, so the devs take a look at them.

http://forum.cockos.com/project.php?issueid=5212
http://forum.cockos.com/project.php?issueid=5210

Participation or at least confirmation from more members will probably motivate the developers to prioritize the issue, for the benefit of all who need or might use the feature. So in case you are interested in having ReaMote work reliably, please do take a few minutes to confirm (or deny) the bugs.

Cheers!
innuendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 01:53 PM   #146
hamish

Hi! nice work. Good bug reports, hopefully I can put in a little time over the next month to help.

The bug 'Reamote goes out of sync..' I can confirm without even starting REAPER. It's been there for a long time. I had not gone as far as making a test project with a null test. Great work, and it's probably a quick way to try to run through all the cases (whole bar loop, whole item loop etc.)

The other one 'ReaMote unable to find plugins...' is I'm afraid one of those little niggles that we have in an app that is still not officially v1 even after a lot of years. Since we can get sub $1000 laptops that can run 40 track projects with over 100 plugins there seems to be less use of ReaMote, I use it less myself.

Still if you are keen to try to list all the problems I'm with you! I never did official bug reports for a couple of other problems that I found, so maybe now's the time.

Last edited by hamish; 05-28-2014 at 01:58 PM.
Old 09-28-2015, 08:54 AM   #147
Trakz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vernon View Post
Hi,
Reamote with Nebula works "almost" perfectly, of course on my configuration... I don't know if today is the same, but when I bought Nebula v.3 2/3 years ago the "box" had 2 licenses included, so no problems to install it on two pc.
Why "almost"?
I've recently bought the Alex'b PCS (Preamp Colour Suite) library for Nebula and I've built in Reaper (v. 3.74) a "library tester" in order to choose the best preamp for different kind of audio tracks. I started with guitars: 4 tracks.
For each track, I've an fx chain with 49 Nebula Reverb instances, each one loading a different preamp (the whole Alex'b PCS library).
The fx chain of the first track is running locally, the other 3 chains runs on the slave pc with Reamote.
The guitar part is a 30 sec riff played with 4 different guitars. The riff is duplicated (in sequence) 39 times.
Programming the fx bypass envelopes, I've only 1 preamp per track running at the same time and the rest of fx chain bypassed.
Playing the riff from time 0, I'm going to hear, one at a time, how the different preamps works on guitars.
Ok, the problem is: the fx bypass automation works on the local chain but doesn't works on reamoted fx chains. When the automation goes in "on" status, the fx doesn't goes "on".
I think this is a Reamote bug: no way to automate the bypass of a reamoted fx...

This is my hardware:
Master pc: Intel Core 2 QUAD Q6600 2.4 GHz, 4GB RAM
Slave pc: Intel Core I5-661 3,33 GHz, 4GB RAM
Thanks for this going to try this when i get home.
Trakz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 07:13 PM   #148
M4dM4tt

Default My Experience and Questions

Hey guys, hey hamish (thanks for the thread!)

I just quickly tried and setup my reamote.
I used my master workstation (8core 4.1GHz 16GB RAM) and an old Laptop (Dual Core 2.1GHz 4GB RAM). both on Windows 10 64bit.

To establish a connection i abused my old router as LANhub and connected Master and Slave with a normal ethernet cable (they didn't see each otehr in windows, but by dialing in the slaves automatically assigned IP it worked).

Now, the thing is, that there seems to be NO WAY to get anywhere near synchronous processing with this setup, and i intended to use the Laptop as additional processing power for my realtime setup in the band (everything is life processed. Drums Bass and Guitar).
I wasn't able to get reamote latencies under 30ms.

@Hamish
would you say it is even possible to get this to work with the proper gear (like a real switch and good cables, or even just a good cross cable?)?

or is this more intended for editing and mixing, when realtime processing doesn't matter as much?

Thanks for your input, and i hope my post also helps someone having some old stuff laying around and isn't in the particular need for realtime reamote processing.
Old 12-07-2017, 02:53 AM   #149
hamish

Quote:
Originally Posted by M4dM4tt View Post
Hey guys, hey hamish (thanks for the thread!)

I just quickly tried and setup my reamote.
I used my master workstation (8core 4.1GHz 16GB RAM) and an old Laptop (Dual Core 2.1GHz 4GB RAM). both on Windows 10 64bit.

To establish a connection i abused my old router as LANhub and connected Master and Slave with a normal ethernet cable (they didn't see each otehr in windows, but by dialing in the slaves automatically assigned IP it worked).

Now, the thing is, that there seems to be NO WAY to get anywhere near synchronous processing with this setup, and i intended to use the Laptop as additional processing power for my realtime setup in the band (everything is life processed. Drums Bass and Guitar).
I wasn't able to get reamote latencies under 30ms.

@Hamish
would you say it is even possible to get this to work with the proper gear (like a real switch and good cables, or even just a good cross cable?)?

or is this more intended for editing and mixing, when realtime processing doesn't matter as much?

Thanks for your input, and i hope my post also helps someone having some old stuff laying around and isn't in the particular need for realtime reamote processing.
Hey, sorry to be late replying. I have normally used ReaMote just in mixing, when larger latency isn't a big problem.

I have read posts (not in this thread) where people have claimed it's possible to play some synths live over ReaMote.

I could never run 'synchronous' mode, but I have got latency down close to live playable with some VSTi, and a home/office network switch.

I'd be interested to hear if anyone has been using ReaMote for live or tracking synths, and what network gear they are using.

I have a classroom and studio with 16 networked iMacs, but our switch is a bit old. Hopefully we will upgrade next year and I will get around to trying some low-latency ReaMote jamming.
Old 12-27-2017, 08:59 AM   #150
jazznfunk

It is possible to open plugin windows on slave machine?

I would like to use ReaMote for monitoring. Make one buss with analyser plugins, viewable and "processable" on seperate machine.

*edit. i found ReaStrem. Seems, this is answer to my needs.

Last edited by jazznfunk; 12-27-2017 at 09:13 AM.
jazznfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 02:54 AM   #151
brickone

Hi,

anyone has an idea how to solve the 'Error sending packet to ReaMote host..' message..? Tried different settings of packet size but with vst3 i cant get it to work.

Thanks in advance.

brick1
Old 10-31-2018, 10:20 PM   #152
Swi

Default Reamote reverb processing computer builds

I recently built an AMD 32 core 2990wx system that has replaced 4 computers so I have broken free from using VEP. I then had extra computers laying around that I now use to process my reverbs. I am a film and TV composer with a template that has 25 busses that are also my stem outputs for delivery on jobs that require stems for delivery. Each stem has it's own reverb so I have 25 verbs, 6 of which are hardware verb units. I run the other 18 Pro-R verbs and one acutica verb on two old computers and I have had such great success with this that I am now curious if anyone knows what a premium reverb processing computer would look like. I am assuming that I need a lot of cores at a reasonable frequency, not much ram or hard drive space. I have a TC system 6000 that I use for 4 stereo verbs, a 224xl, and my favorite is a pcm80 that has the most metallic granular type of reverb sound but I want to sell my hardware verbs because I want to be able to offline render my sessions. I used to use 2 UAD octo cards but one of them died because it was 10 years old or so and I do not need to buy another and have no desire to invest in another 1000$ into a card. I suspect I could break free of UAD completely and just use acustica plugs, get the sound I want then render the plug into the item, and move on with my mixes.

If anyone is knowledgeable about what kind of computer build is or would be ideal for reverb processing I would love to hear about it.

Thank you, Reaper and Reaper community for my liberation.
Swi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 09:47 AM   #153
Swi

Default reamote reverb processing

So just to report my "issues" with Reamote, It does make me wait for an instant to play (or at least it feels that way) but it's well worth it and quite understandable for what it's doing. It also gives me a somewhat expectable glitch sound if I skip around the session while it's playing.
The only issue that actually was a problem was due to the mio4 midi interfaces which I have set up via ethernet. I was getting a big latency with my hardware synths when I pressed play. This is also understandable and I made a custom command to toggle fx on all my verbs channels.

I just could not be happier with Reaper although I think I have another 6 or 8 months to get to know it.
Swi is offline   Reply With Quote