Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 09-22-2022, 04:43 AM   #1
kotll
Human being with feelings

Default Multiple lanes within a single track, what is this?

I've seen this in screenshots but I have no idea how to activate this:

It looks like there are multiple lanes within the same track. However this looks different from normal takes as they don't show a sidebar as showned in the red circle above.
kotll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 04:14 PM   #2
BbAltered

Hello. These are "take lanes" - different recording passes (takes) placed in the same track.

You access this by creating a track, arming it, and recording onto the track. Then rewind, and record again onto the same track. You can repeat as many times as you like, putting multiple recording takes onto the same track.

I believe the Reaper default is to display all the takes one on top of the other, so that only the last take is visible in the track. There is some keyboard hot key combo that displays all the takes side by side, so all are visible (I forget what the key combo is that alternates between takes one on top of the other and side-by-side).

The use of takes lanes is described in the Reaper manual Sec. 3.14 (Layered Recording).

I use this feature to create an ensemble-like effect for vocals - so I can get the sound of multiple voices singing on the chorus. Also useful if you want true guitar "doubling" effect. It is a very cool and useful feature.
BbAltered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 07:10 PM   #3
kotll

I don't think that's the case, I tried it and it looks like this:

It looks quite different from the first image I posted: there are no sub-track numbers on the left, and the recorded items are joined together into a item with multiple takes - whereas in the first image each track is separate and not joined together like what I have now.
Old 09-22-2022, 07:14 PM   #4
tonalstates

Those are fixed item lanes, they're still in development or in Dev versions of Reaper, who knows when it'll be official
tonalstates is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 08:40 AM   #5
serr

Quote:
Originally Posted by kotll View Post
I've seen this in screenshots but I have no idea how to activate this:

It looks like there are multiple lanes within the same track. However this looks different from normal takes as they don't show a sidebar as showned in the red circle above.
It's the Reaper 'lanes' recording mode. It's like a fixed version Protools playlists on steroids.
Options -> New recordings that overlap existing items -> create new items in new lanes
and then this one:
Options -> let multiple items display in lanes

This is happiness and light for tracking/overdubbing. New takes stack up in lanes in the recording track. The workflow is usually to use a single recording track like a "recording bin" and leave it un-monitored. Fly takes you like into the mix tracks you dial up. (The 'move item up/down a track' actions on the number pad keys are convenient for that.)

The default 'takes' mode puts all subsequent new takes into the first recorded audio item to make a multi stream item that lets you click to select which stream plays back. This one is clumsy to me vs lanes mode but YMMV.
serr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 11:14 AM   #6
kotll

Quote:
Originally Posted by serr View Post
It's the Reaper 'lanes' recording mode. It's like a fixed version Protools playlists on steroids.
Options -> New recordings that overlap existing items -> create new items in new lanes
and then this one:
Options -> let multiple items display in lanes

This is happiness and light for tracking/overdubbing. New takes stack up in lanes in the recording track. The workflow is usually to use a single recording track like a "recording bin" and leave it un-monitored. Fly takes you like into the mix tracks you dial up. (The 'move item up/down a track' actions on the number pad keys are convenient for that.)

The default 'takes' mode puts all subsequent new takes into the first recorded audio item to make a multi stream item that lets you click to select which stream plays back. This one is clumsy to me vs lanes mode but YMMV.
Is that only available on the pre-release versions of Reaper? I don't see any of those options on Reaper 6.68
Old 09-24-2022, 05:55 AM   #7
spantini

Try this :

1) Record your track
2) Press Stop (or spacebar)
3) Name the take and Save All - or don't name and hit the spacebar
4) Press Record to record another take on the same track
5) Repeat for as many takes as you want
spantini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2022, 06:05 AM   #8
nicholas
Scribe

Quote:
Is that only available on the pre-release versions of Reaper? I don't see any of those options on Reaper 6.68
Even without this feature (which is in development still) you can record your takes as separate items if you select your new track and:

1. Turn on free item positioning (track menu) and
2. Turn on Offset overlapping items vertically (Options menu)

then record your takes.

PS (on edit) This requires a fairly generous track height.
nicholas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2022, 07:51 AM   #9
serr

Quote:
Been around since at least 2010...

(I'll use the exact words this time. )
Options menu -> New recording that overlaps existing media items -> Creates new media items in separate lanes

Click the Options menu up top. Mouse down to the next thing. Then arrow over to the last bit.

Then click on Options menu again and select -> Show overlapping media items in lanes. (This is a tick on/off enable/disable option)

This is happiness and light to me. I specifically want to avoid any and all tape simulation stuff with having to "punch in/out" and working back and forth stuff in a single track. I like the liberty of recording DAW style with unlimited tracks, no generation loss from track changes, and no noise stack up from using multiple tracks.

The takes system has an interesting feature with the click to select the audio stream thing. But that puts you back into recording into and mixing from the same track and all the back and forth during recording that would come with that and it's just too time consuming and crude.
serr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2022, 09:35 AM   #10
DaveCoast

Maybe it's a Mac thing or there is another setting somewhere but on Win10 you only get "Create new media items". I buzzed through the 69 occurrences "lanes" in the user guide, but don't think I saw anything relevant to the OP question on the lane sidebar.

DaveCoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2022, 01:46 PM   #11
nicholas
Scribe

Quote:
Originally Posted by serr View Post
Been around since at least 2010...

(I'll use the exact words this time. )
Options menu -> New recording that overlaps existing media items -> Creates new media items in separate lanes

Click the Options menu up top. Mouse down to the next thing. Then arrow over to the last bit.

Then click on Options menu again and select -> Show overlapping media items in lanes. (This is a tick on/off enable/disable option)

These were replaced several versions ago with:

Options, New recording that overlaps existing media items -> Creates new media items

and

Options, Show all takes (when room)
Options, Offset overlapping media items vertically
Old 09-24-2022, 01:49 PM   #12
nicholas
Scribe

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveCoast View Post
Maybe it's a Mac thing or there is another setting somewhere but on Win10 you only get "Create new media items". I buzzed through the 69 occurrences "lanes" in the user guide, but don't think I saw anything relevant to the OP question on the lane sidebar.
That's because this isn't in the User Guide ...

... and that's because, as tonalstates points out, this feature isn't available yet in public release versions of REAPER, only in development

From the REAPER web site:

Quote:
Development version. Includes functionality that will likely not end up in
the next release (and may not end up in any release, ever).
Be assured that if this feature does make it to release stage I will document it. Meanwhile, we shouldn't really be discussing it in this forum.

Last edited by nicholas; 09-24-2022 at 03:03 PM. Reason: typos