Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 09-19-2022, 07:04 PM   #1
DaveLeeNC
Human being with feelings

Default Managing Phase in a Stereo Track

I am a casual/occasional user of Reaper and am currently dealing with a single (stereo) track of a classical guitar. I would like to invert the phase of one of the channels on the track. Do I need to figure out how to split out the channels into two mono tracks? Or should I be looking for an effect that does this? Or just what should I be doing here? Thanks.

dav
DaveLeeNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2022, 07:46 PM   #2
foxAsteria

Flux StereoTool can flip phase independently on stereo channels. But you could also just split the stereo file. Same result. There might even be some JS that do it, but I couldn't find one in a quick search.

I see a script for exploding stereo to mono. The file batch converter can also do it.

But if you're going for mid/side here, that's not gonna do it unless the stereo file was recorded with that intention and the mics were positioned accordingly. Otherwise you'll just null out any center panned content.

If it's just a regular stereo file, there are mid/side plugins that can help you achieve similar results.

Or look for a stereo phase rotator. If you rotate the phase of one channel 90 degrees, I believe that's the same as recording mid/side. There's a mono phase rotator js that will work if you split the stereo file.

Last edited by foxAsteria; 09-19-2022 at 07:52 PM.
foxAsteria is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2022, 10:37 PM   #3
Trogdor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveLeeNC View Post
I am a casual/occasional user of Reaper and am currently dealing with a single (stereo) track of a classical guitar. I would like to invert the phase of one of the channels on the track. Do I need to figure out how to split out the channels into two mono tracks? Or should I be looking for an effect that does this? Or just what should I be doing here? Thanks.

dav
There is a JS plugin that can do that. It is called Channel Polarity Control. It gives you the option to invert the Left or the right or both channels.
Trogdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 07:02 PM   #4
DaveLeeNC

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxAsteria View Post
Flux StereoTool can flip phase independently on stereo channels. But you could also just split the stereo file. Same result. There might even be some JS that do it, but I couldn't find one in a quick search.

I see a script for exploding stereo to mono. The file batch converter can also do it.

But if you're going for mid/side here, that's not gonna do it unless the stereo file was recorded with that intention and the mics were positioned accordingly. Otherwise you'll just null out any center panned content.

If it's just a regular stereo file, there are mid/side plugins that can help you achieve similar results.

Or look for a stereo phase rotator. If you rotate the phase of one channel 90 degrees, I believe that's the same as recording mid/side. There's a mono phase rotator js that will work if you split the stereo file.
Thanks for the response and suggestions. This is more exploratory at this point. dave
Old 09-21-2022, 04:43 AM   #5
DaveLeeNC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trogdor View Post
There is a JS plugin that can do that. It is called Channel Polarity Control. It gives you the option to invert the Left or the right or both channels.
Found it - exactly what I was looking for. Thanks. dave
Old 09-21-2022, 08:54 AM   #6
serr

You can flip the polarity right in item properties or with the polarity button on a track too. This trick (reverse polarity panned opposite) will throw the sound to one side (the positive side) with a little 'sounds like it's in the next room' quality. It will NOT be mono compatible.
serr is online now   Reply With Quote