Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 08-22-2022, 05:01 PM   #1
for
Human being with feelings

Default did anyone here have any success in releasing their song

provided no fanbase i'm wondering if anyone found any good resource/strategies in releasing a song

thanks
for is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2022, 06:24 PM   #2
jnorman34

I have done all 14 of my studio releases through CDBaby - they distribute to Amazon, iTunes, Spotify, pandora, etc, etc, and they create a free webpage to promote your release.
jnorman34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2022, 07:21 PM   #3
for

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnorman34 View Post
I have done all 14 of my studio releases through CDBaby - they distribute to Amazon, iTunes, Spotify, pandora, etc, etc, and they create a free webpage to promote your release.

but i mean in terms of ppl actually seeing/hear your release if you don't have a fanbase...are their any strategies regarding to that?
Old 08-23-2022, 03:06 AM   #4
Hugo_James

Default The truth isn't out there....

Absolutely zero success, mate - and I worked methodically through every releasing platform, marketing system, music-exposure blog, radio station etc. etc. that I could find on the internet: for two solid years.

Despite all the hype about "guerrilla music-making", it seems painfully obvious to me that you still need the backing of corporate media behemoths to get anywhere at all within the music industry - or you have to somehow magically acquire a fanbase that is massive and absolutely fanatical enough to impress said behemoths.

Where can I hear your stuff?

Cheers,

Hugo
Hugo_James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2022, 04:12 AM   #5
for

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugo_James View Post
Absolutely zero success, mate - and I worked methodically through every releasing platform, marketing system, music-exposure blog, radio station etc. etc. that I could find on the internet: for two solid years.

Despite all the hype about "guerrilla music-making", it seems painfully obvious to me that you still need the backing of corporate media behemoths to get anywhere at all within the music industry - or you have to somehow magically acquire a fanbase that is massive and absolutely fanatical enough to impress said behemoths.

Where can I hear your stuff?

Cheers,

Hugo
i didn't release anything yet i was just checking what options i will have when i do...i guess its jus throwing it out there and waiting for a miracle kind of thing.

you know i was thinking there's also so many tik tokers youtubers or whatever out there filming.....maybe mentioning them we have a song that they can use in their videos wouldn't be bad...but anyway yea i guess there's no easy answer to that
Old 08-23-2022, 04:17 AM   #6
Cosmic

Quote:
somehow magically acquire a fanbase that is massive and absolutely fanatical enough to impress said behemoths.
This..but its not magic.

Just be truly excellent and original and play loads of great gigs and have a bit of luck.
The rest will sort itself out

If you are in any way mediocre you're gonna need serious financial backing.
Old 08-23-2022, 05:17 AM   #7
nicholas
Scribe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic View Post
... play loads of great gigs and have a bit of luck...
Snap! Though I'd say a lot of luck.

Quite frankly, if your motivation for making music is mainly fame and fortune, then I'd say forget it now. Most amazingly good musos that I know at best struggle to make a living from their art.

But if you do it because you have a genuine passion for music, and put your heart and soul into it, then maybe, just maybe, if you're both good enough and lucky enough then ... well, you just might get that break.

But the odds are not in your favour.
nicholas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2022, 05:37 AM   #8
bjohn

Agreed with the other posters: the way to build a fanbase is through gigs and videos. At that point people may start listening to/buying your music.

Our music is a niche within a niche, so we don't even attempt to make a living from it; we lose money on every recording and almost every gig. But we built up a fanbase over 10 years of concerts, so when we release a new album we do get sales right away. Almost nobody who listens to our kind of music subscribes to streaming services (our audience still prefers physical CDs, although we've sold a handful of albums on Bandcamp); a typical year's worth of streaming income for us from 37+ streaming services worldwide is $45. We make more in a few physical CD sales than we get from a year or more of streaming.

Every genre is different and you need to approach it differently, but building up a fanbase takes time and happens mainly through gigs (and also through videos that can be shared on social media). Nobody is likely to discover you on the streaming platforms, they need to have a reason to find you first.
bjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2022, 12:34 PM   #9
foxAsteria

How can you have a fanbase if you haven't released anything?

It was recently suggested to me to try weekly livestreams/blogs etc. The idea is that by publishing content regularly, you increase your visibility in searches. Something to do with "webcrawlers." I guess they give search result priority to more recent content?

Idk, I haven't tried it yet, but since I spend most of my time jamming endlessly, I really should just turn on the camera...

In any case, it's a process of spending time with no guarantees. Try to have fun.

Also, in my experience, the best way to generate interest in your own work, is to show enthusiasm for the work of others; particularly those whose work you admire and might hope to share a fanbase with.
Old 08-23-2022, 12:36 PM   #10
OPI

First of all, release some music That trumps all in getting a start.

1.) Creativity which hopefully translates to your audiences ears.

2.) Quality of sound (This can be interpreted poorly so I will just say well mix and mastered).

3.) Passion. Essentially meaning you will have a better chance of completing the steps above if you have passion.

4.) Discover your audience by joining your audience. Join your specific communities whom have similar tastes as you. Shooting random darts into social media isn't going to help much.

5.) Determine your goal. Is it money? Is it fame? Or is it simply just the satisfaction of making good music that you enjoy and others enjoy.

I would have to disagree with some of the below comments as doing gigs is now less relevant than 10 years ago. Nonetheless stage time of course is always good. Videos are great, but only if they apply to your audience. In my opinion joining your audience is one of the best outlets you have and on the internet, that is nearly an infinite resource.

Social media has a great impact on your reach which alone can be a day job. Regardless I would advise to really figure out your goals before you venture on.

Do you want to make commercial music?

Do you want to make video game music?

Do you want to score for big films?

Do you want to make hit radio songs?

Do you want to be a pioneer in music genres?

Do you want to be fully booked each year touring the world?

Do you want to make music that you (And even better, that others) enjoy?

Sure all of these questions are quite unrealistic, but as long as you answered the last question "Yes" the other questions have a chance of developing and/or becoming a reality.

Sure, It's probably one of the hardest fields to get into. But possible.
OPI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022, 04:59 PM   #11
Philbo King

I usually sell 6 to 10 CDs at each performance. At bars 5 to 7 bucks each. At blues festivals 15 to 20 bucks each. I've only had 2 or 3 CDs sell online.

You want pay, you gotta perform...
Old 08-24-2022, 05:50 PM   #12
foxAsteria

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholas View Post
Quite frankly, if your motivation for making music is mainly fame and fortune, then I'd say forget it now. Most amazingly good musos that I know at best struggle to make a living from their art.
Taking a look at the pop charts, I'd say that's the number one motivator for the music hitting the mainstream. And the lyrics are all about abusing pills. What a life...

However, if Grimes can go from making her first albums living in a crackhouse to having Elon Musk's baby...is it luck? I like her music, but I also know she worked really hard and is highly ambitious. She also puts a lot of thought and creativity into every aspect of her image (does her own album art, directs her own videos, etc).

Image counts for quite a bit too, in this over-saturated look-at-me-market, so don't neglect it. I've discovered plenty of bands just because they had some cool cover art and the music ended up being just as good.

Another example is Die Antwoord. That guy had a fairly long run of not-so successful hip hop projects but when they built the image while making the music and released it all at once it was HUGE! And they committed so fully to that image that new fans would never even know they were just playing characters.

First things first, though, release the music and if it's any good then maybe we can talk about how to market it.

Last edited by foxAsteria; 08-24-2022 at 06:05 PM.
foxAsteria is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022, 06:21 PM   #13
maxdembo

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxAsteria View Post
Idk, I haven't tried it yet, but since I spend most of my time jamming endlessly, I really should just turn on the camera...
There is a thread for this kind of 'havent got round to it yet'
maxdembo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022, 06:31 PM   #14
bjohn

Quote:
However, if Grimes can go from making her first albums living in a crackhouse to having Elon Musk's baby...is it luck? I like her music, but I also know she worked really hard and is highly ambitious. She also puts a lot of thought and creativity into every aspect of her image (does her own album art, directs her own videos, etc).
We get a lot of our streaming listens from people who mistake my partner for Grimes because they have the same name (Claire Boucher). Their music couldn't be more different, and I bet people are shocked when they listen to my Claire's music (she's a traditional singer from Brittany) thinking it's going to be Grimes. But who knows, maybe a few of them buy our albums.

So that's another strategy to get listens: take the name of someone famous. :-)
bjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022, 06:39 PM   #15
foxAsteria

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxdembo View Post
There is a thread for this kind of 'havent got round to it yet'
See how much I've grown?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohn View Post
So that's another strategy to get listens: take the name of someone famous. :-)
That's funny. I mean I new her name, but never searched it cos...well to me she's just Grimes. But I guess a lot of folks do like to learn about the person behind the music.

Yea there's a lot of acts out there intentionally spoofing someone else's name...Gnarls Barkley, Com Truise...it's proabably a good marketing tactic.
Old 08-24-2022, 07:06 PM   #16
maxdembo

Quote:
See how much I've grown?

That's funny. I mean I new her name, but never searched it cos...well to me she's just Grimes. But I guess a lot of folks do like to learn about the person behind the music.

Yea there's a lot of acts out there intentionally spoofing someone else's name...Gnarls Barkley, Com Truise...it's proabably a good marketing tactic.
Currently considering a live stream/improv recording along to any famous public domain movies and sticking em up on YT.

https://publicdomaincinema.blogspot.com/

Might only get a couple of clicks a year from people watching my version of some film, but its still clicks and would be something I'd enjoy doing! Niche marketing but thats fine by me
Old 08-24-2022, 07:23 PM   #17
foxAsteria

Yea I also played with the idea of re-scoring some old silent films. Seems a huge task, but a live-streamed improv that you don't even edit seems much more doable.

My sister did that once for an audience and I guess Reaper froze, blasting some really horrible buffer noise over the PA. She refused to use Reaper in live setups after this, even though it was probably something else.

Btw I think you can get away with uploading commercial films if you've replaced the audio track with unlicensed music and changed the speed of playback. Might be enough to trick the algos. Would get you more clicks i bet than some rando film no one ever looks up by name.

Slightly random question: do you know of any software that allows you to replace faces after the fact? Like snapchat filters, but more robust. I'd like to make a mask, but a digital head could be even cooler...ha, a pun. I watched some doc where the interviewees had this going on for anonymity and it was dope. Can't recall the name or even the subject.

Last edited by foxAsteria; 08-24-2022 at 07:28 PM.
foxAsteria is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022, 07:37 PM   #18
maxdembo

Quote:
I think you can get away with uploading commercial films if you've replaced the audio track with unlicensed music and changed the speed of playback. Might be enough to trick the algos. Would get you more clicks i bet than some rando film no one ever looks up by name.

Slightly random question: do you know of any software that allows you to replace faces after the fact? Like snapchat filters, but more robust. I'd like to make a mask, but a digital head could be even cooler...ha, a pun. I watched some doc where the interviewees had this going on for anonymity and it was dope. Can't recall the name or even the subject.
Yeah, but the downsides of the commercial films is destroying a channel if it gets any traction, copyright claims up the wazoo. On YT, its just not worth it, personally. Plus I love obscure shit films. It doesnt make sense to upload a whole copyrighted film, its not really the way to get a fanbase, whereas my channel is already geared towards public domain stuff. A remix of a film tho, yeah, same as remixing any popular artist. But it would have to be remix tho.

Night of the Living Dead is public domain btw, there are plenty more that would get a couple of clicks a year, but as I say, its doing it for fun.

No idea about the anonymity app btw, but there are a bunch of 'artificial streamers' that are full body replacement type things via a filter, dunno the software tho.
Old 08-24-2022, 07:40 PM   #19
foxAsteria

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxdembo View Post
Night of the Living Dead is public domain btw.
Killer! Oops I punned it again.
Old 08-24-2022, 07:56 PM   #20
lunker

Quote:
Yeah, my group accidentally* ended up with the initials BDSM, which got us some attention (and caused us to show up in a good number of Google searches).

*Really. My place is “Bad Dog Studios” (I’ll spare you the story about that) and the guys who play here regularly are the Bad Dog Studio Musicians.
lunker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022, 08:20 PM   #21
nicholas
Scribe

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunker View Post
Yeah, my group accidentally* ended up with the initials BDSM, which got us some attention (and caused us to show up in a good number of Google searches).
🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
nicholas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2022, 12:51 AM   #22
Hugo_James

Default It's all fiction

Quote:
Yeah - but let's not forget that people like Grimes and vast numbers of other "musicians" are pure marketing creations. I've lived in crack-houses, and it's extremely rare to have electricity and running water, let alone access to music recording facilities. Even if the maniacal behaviour of the people there allowed you to do any music, which it wouldn't.

And we're also supposed to believe that Elon Musk did - what? employ Pinkertons Canada to find him a random crack whore to be the mother of his child? It's total media bullshit.
Hugo_James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2022, 09:34 AM   #23
zeekat

We're probably like 17 minutes away (if not already there) from people being able to type "make me a song, top 40 quality, Michael Jackson, Steve Wonder, Polka accordion solos" as a prompt to AI machine and have it instantly, indistinguishable from the human made article. So probably the best course of action is making music sort of a quiet and personal type of hobby. Like gardening
Old 09-15-2022, 10:21 AM   #24
foxAsteria

Quote:
And we're also supposed to believe that Elon Musk did - what? employ Pinkertons Canada to find him a random crack whore to be the mother of his child? It's total media bullshit.
She was independent, cool and successful long before Musk or the media were interested. That Grimes is Claire Boucher's own marketing creation is my point. Don't have to like her music or image to see it's working well, even if it is bullshit.
Old 09-15-2022, 10:22 AM   #25
msore

Default the good stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeekat View Post
We're probably like 17 minutes away (if not already there) from people being able to type "make me a song, top 40 quality, Michael Jackson, Steve Wonder, Polka accordion solos" as a prompt to AI machine and have it instantly, indistinguishable from the human made article. So probably the best course of action is making music sort of a quiet and personal type of hobby. Like gardening
that rings a bell
like poetry, like being a teacher,
like darts, like marriage,
like walking, like being a critic or thinking,
like ringing a bell.
Old 09-15-2022, 11:17 AM   #26
heda

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeekat View Post
So probably the best course of action is making music sort of a quiet and personal type of hobby. Like gardening
that sounds good. more relaxed and maybe better music comes out of it. without deadlines and commercial rules.
maybe we should do music for plants in the garden. they may appreciate it.
heda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2022, 07:34 AM   #27
serr

I had a band together 20 years ago that was by definition unsuccessful. Not a lot of gigs. Not a lot of fans. I absolutely love the albums we (I) produced at the time though! Completely not giving a F about conventions/pop/formulas/etc.

I remember a few bands around the same time that were quite popular (locally anyway). They all had these cookie cutter albums that sounded like the same filler tunes everyone else had. In hindsight, I'm happier to have something I'm proud of even if we weren't commercially successful vs albums I'd be embarrassed if anyone else heard now.

Choose your adventure.

A lucky few figure out how to make something genuine that connects with a lot of people. I'm pretty sure all my favorite music is stuff where the artist didn't give a F though.

I actually started digging these up recently and am working on remastering and remixing where possible. Then Bandcamp and Spotify probably. Maybe one of the song titles will get me banned or something. (I don't think anyone gives out even that kind of free PR anymore though.)
serr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2022, 02:56 PM   #28
msore

Default similars

Similar stories are common in many areas.

Did anyone have success in designing decent, smart, user-friendly software? Probably not.

Did anyone have success in designing a good curriculum for teaching critical thinking, good writing, or creative skills? Probably not.

Did anyone have success in developing a data-supported theory about how capitalism kills business inventiveness? Probably not.

Did anyone have success in effectively teaching musical skills, compositional strategies or improvisational techniques? Probably not.
Old 09-17-2022, 02:57 PM   #29
bigtop

Trying to define good bad etc in music is difficult.
But easy to recognise.
If a song or a band or an artiste really has it they will be successful. Their fans will find them. The industry will find them most likely.
A radio dj told me once that his team met every day to review new stuff and decide on the playlists.
It was easy. If the music passed the one minute test it would make it to the play list. If not. Too bad.
Funny thing was he said everyone agreed and the weeding out process was easy usually in 10-15 seconds by the way not one whole minute.

I met a local producer who played me a tape of a local new female singer. It was unbelievably jaw droppingly crap but the father of the artiste just couldn’t get it and poured money into his beloved until there was none left.

Normally a talent or prospect that doesn’t make it has a fatal flaw that should be obvious but sometimes this is not recognised.

If you make music because you get fun and enjoyment then that’s great but to make a living well best of luck.
Old 09-17-2022, 03:00 PM   #30
msore

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtop View Post
If a song or a band or an artiste really has it they will be successful.
????????????????
Old 09-17-2022, 03:05 PM   #31
bigtop

“Has it” as in has the magic ingredient that makes you love it etc
Old 09-19-2022, 05:37 AM   #32
martifingers

Quote:
Originally Posted by serr View Post

Choose your adventure.
This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^.
martifingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2022, 02:08 PM   #33
msore

Default clarification

Quote:
Originally Posted by msore View Post
????????????????
What I balked at is the myth about some kind of connection between skill and success.

Here is a related question. In music (as well as other endeavors) young people are often given the good advice that they should get out and play with others, or to join an active scene (galleries, stage, movie sets, battle of the bands, etc). They should get out of their bedroom and perhaps do some gigging or busking.

But it is getting common for musicians (or dancers or comics) to ONLY perform for themselves in "selfie" mode, with a result sent "out" to the "world" on social media. Some of them even generate some sort of "success".

So what is the experienced opinion here about the relative importance between recording and playing live?

Then of course, there is the old question about whether artistic self-satisfaction is success enough. I am always skeptical about success (for example, for politicians).
Old 09-19-2022, 02:18 PM   #34
karbomusic

Quote:
I did exactly that and posted them here over the course of a few months. Not for success or whatever, just because doing something is usually better than nothing and it was a good exercise in getting away from DAW gymnastics and mix fixing. I mean if I gotta perform it live, it does a good job of exposing what I do that's a good performance vs turd polishing.

That said, jamming endlessly 'can' be a good writing tool, especially if you record it for later review but it also runs the risk of just burning time on the instrument but not really improving anything at all. Ask me how I know that.

Last edited by karbomusic; 09-19-2022 at 02:24 PM.
karbomusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 04:33 PM   #35
chriscan64

Default It is tough, best of luck.

I got all excited when I made the switch from my ancient Korg digital 4-track to Reaper and proceeded to re-record my best originals and released a CD. My best friend from high school had lots of contacts who liked my style of music so I hoped for word of mouth to make a few sales. He passed away the day after I got the copyright so he never even got to hear it, much less pass it on. Long story short, I sold 2 and have 40 in my house. It is all one-man-band stuff where I play everything, so live shows are out of the question.

I don't regret it, it was a good learning experience. I used CD Baby which is an easy to use online self service record company. It is inexpensive, but I joke about how my record deal is so bad I have to pay to produce the records. The distribution is good, and you don't have to do cd's if you don't want to. The problem with streaming is the pay scale. I need 50 more streams to afford a first class stamp.
chriscan64 is offline   Reply With Quote