Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 12-14-2018, 07:16 AM   #1
JamesO512
Human being with feelings

Default Possible to NOT record CC data?

I am probably overlooking something that should be obvious.

When I record myself playing a VST instrument, I want to record movements of the modulation wheel, pitch bend, aftertouch, encoders, and so on, into the automation lane only, not as CC data in the MIDI editor. This is because the automation envelope can be used to smooth coarse, steppy data, adjust nicely, and so on, while editing CC data in the MIDI editor is problematic and changes are seemingly always more coarsely stepped there.

When I set up to record to the automation lane, I seem to get both. And the CC data seems to add to what's in the automation lane, doubling it up. It will sound right while recording, but when I play it back, it is pushed too far because the two are both pushing the levels of those controls. When I delete the CC data in the MIDI editor and only have the data in the automation lane, it goes back to sounding the way it did when I played it while recording.

Deleting the CC data is an extra step that I'd like to eliminate. Is it possible to turn off recording of it?
JamesO512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 07:56 AM   #2
DarkStar

Hello JamesO512 and welcome to these forums. You'll find many helpful people here and a lot of useful information. Make sure that you:
'Fraid not, By design those MIDI CC message are routed into the Automation path AND available for recording. I want to be able to turn them off too.

One option may be to use a plug-in as an FX that discards all MIDI CC messages - I think that they will still go to the plug-in automation path.Try the JS FX "midi_cc_eater".
Old 12-14-2018, 08:53 AM   #3
JamesO512

DarkStar,

Thanks for the reply!

I was afraid of that!

I'll try the CC eater suggestion.
JamesO512 is offline   Reply With Quote