Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > MIDI Hardware, Control Surfaces, and OSC

Old 11-17-2018, 01:31 PM   #1
G Ray
Human being with feelings

Default MPC 4000, Yamaha MODX using Reaper as a Sound Module

I'm dying. I've spent a week trying to figure out this setup. I think I know the issue, but can't be sure just yet. Here's the setup:

-Yamaha MODX, which is my audio/midi interface.
-MPC 4000
-Reaper

My goal is to sequence everything from the MPC, using Reaper as the host for my VST's.

The MODX is the audio/midi interface, and I think this is where the problem lies. I have to use midi port 3 on the MODX in order to use the MPC to sequence, as this utilizes the 5-pin midi I/O on the MODX.

So, for example, I'll have two VST's loaded, with the input set for their corresponding midi channels through port 3. As long as I am playing the pads on the MPC, I can sequence each channel independently, and it will record just fine.

The issue is when I attempt to play an instrument on the MODX keys, as I have to use midi port 1 for this, but this is the USB port and doesn't use the 5-pin midi out, so while I can hear the sound and record the sound through Reaper, this won't register in the MPC.

I've tried selecting the MPC (port 3) channel as the midi output, and the MPC will then read midi input when I hit a key, but this will not record to the MPC.

So my line of thinking is that because the MODX port 1 goes straight into Reaper, and this is what is needed to play the VST instrument inside of Reaper, this control is bypassed when I use port 3, which is what is needed for the MPC to interact with Reaper.

I've also made sure to setup the MTC on both the MPC and Reaper. I've scoured the midi settings and routings in all three pieces of this, but to no avail. Am I missing something obvious here? Or would I have to try this setup with a different type of MIDI interface, perhaps one that has at least two two MIDI ins, one 5-pin for the MODX and another for the MPC perhaps?

I'm at a loss, and I've been at this daily since Sunday.

-to answer a few potential questions, I'll absolutely be using the MPC/MODX in standalone, and I'll absolutely be using Reaper as the master in a session, particularly when I'm ready for a mixdown, but I'd really prefer my main workflow be with the MPC as my master sequencer, utilizing both the MODX and my VST arsenal as sound modules for the MPC.

Thoughts? And thanks in advance.
G Ray is offline   Reply With Quote