Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 05-08-2008, 08:59 AM   #1
jalan
Human being with feelings

Default Help: Anybody using the Line 6 Gearbox plugin?

I just got this a few weeks ago and am loving it, but it seems to really drain resources more than I expected -- is this normal?

I'm running about 7 instances in my current project (which I imagine may be a lot) and I've noticed that on some of the later instances, the plugin seems to almost fade in (quickly), as opposed to starting as soon as the audio does. At the moment, I don't even have anything else on this song -- just 7 guitar tracks (4 at a time, tops) playing with Reaper's click.

My system is not top-of-the-line, but it's not a dog either (3.0 GHz P4, 2GB RAM, etc.). Any comments, suggestions, etc.? Let me know. Thanks!

J

P.S. While working on this issue, I discovered the performance meter (yes, I'm still a bit of a noob). It says that my FX resources are running about 40% just with those 7 Gearbox instances. I'm wondering how it's gonna fly when I add something like EZ Drummer to the project...?
jalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 11:17 AM   #2
DerMetzgermeister

Amp simulator plugins are resource hogs. That's expected.
EzDrummer really is not so much a burden on processor use, in general sampler instruments rely more on RAM and Hard Disk use.

Edit: Even if they are hungry for CPU the amp sims don't use as much as most of virtual synths.

Last edited by DerMetzgermeister; 05-08-2008 at 11:47 AM.
DerMetzgermeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 11:25 AM   #3
stratman

I've got the Gearbox plug-in.

All I can do is confirm that your result is similar to the CPU useage I get, which is about 6% per instance. I thought this was reasonable, but I've not had so many guitar tracks in one project.

btw. The CPU useage of the Revalver Mk3 demo is slighly higher on my PC.

Pete
stratman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 12:23 PM   #4
jalan

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratman View Post
I've got the Gearbox plug-in.

All I can do is confirm that your result is similar to the CPU useage I get, which is about 6% per instance.
Yep, that's about what I'm getting. As long as that's normal, I'm cool with that -- I'll just have to adjust.

In terms of a workaround, I imagine I could 'apply the effect' to a new track, (so I have a processed version without the plugin) and then just turn the plugin off on the original (but still keep it muted in the project in case I want to go back and change settings, etc.) -- that should work, right?

Thanks for the verification.
jalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 05:02 PM   #5
jamieskeen

I got the gearbox gold about a month ago and I love it. But I always freeze/render amp sim tracks even with my dualcore machine. A handfull of tracks with the gearbox plugin will eat your cpu.
jamieskeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 06:19 PM   #6
Bevosss

You can automate the process with macros so it's just a keystroke to freeze/unfreeze (I miss the third action out, ymmv):
Quote:
Freeze Selected Tracks

This automatically applies fx to items in a track, and offlines and bypasses the fx.

Ctrl-Alt-A

Item: select all items in selected tracks
Item: apply fx to items
Track: set all fx offline for selected tracks
Track: toggle fx bypass for selected tracks

Unfreeze Selected Tracks

This unfreezes the track.

Ctrl-Alt-U

Item: select all items in selected tracks
Item: delete current take from items
Track: set all fx online for selected tracks
Track: toggle fx bypass for selected tracks
Bevosss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 10:47 PM   #7
charles.monteiro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevosss View Post
You can automate the process with macros so it's just a keystroke to freeze/unfreeze (I miss the third action out, ymmv):
Why "apply FX to items" and not "render to stem"
charles.monteiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 10:53 PM   #8
Bevosss

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles.monteiro View Post
Why "apply FX to items" and not "render to stem"
That creates a new track, 'apply fx' creates a new take on top of the original. I use a render fx macro for folder and receive tracks, but prefer 'apply fx' for tracks with items, it's a bit neater track-wise but the same result really.

The great thing about Reaper is, there's a few different ways to do operations, especially rendering.
Old 05-09-2008, 05:32 AM   #9
charles.monteiro

Quote:
That creates a new track, 'apply fx' creates a new take on top of the original. I use a render fx macro for folder and receive tracks, but prefer 'apply fx' for tracks with items, it's a bit neater track-wise but the same result really.

The great thing about Reaper is, there's a few different ways to do operations, especially rendering.
I have not yet used "fx on an item" , thought it was a neat idea , very granular , very flexible, but thought it more of something to use as an exception. I also assumed that if you used fx on an item basis , that one would be instantiating more fx i.e. 7 items that needed compression , if on an "item" basis then 7 instantiations of the comp plugin, after all it follows that you can have different settings per item.

Finally, I find "render to stem" more analogous to "freeze" function in AA which I am familiar with.

I'll check out how that works, thanks for pointing it out.
Old 05-09-2008, 06:34 AM   #10
Bevosss

Quote:
I also assumed that if you used fx on an item basis , that one would be instantiating more fx i.e. 7 items that needed compression , if on an "item" basis then 7 instantiations of the comp plugin, after all it follows that you can have different settings per item.
Per item fx freeze is even easier than the previous track fx freeze, you just 'apply fx' and the (per take) fx is automatically bypassed (delete the active take to unfreeze)...unfortunately it doesn't work with vsti's usually (yet.)
Old 05-09-2008, 07:11 AM   #11
Diogenes

Default GearBox Question...

Hey guys,

I have a Q about this GearBox thing. I have a POD XT Live and the plugin junk that came with it. I think I read somewhere that in order to use the plugin the POD is used as a dongle. That true?

D
Diogenes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 07:24 AM   #12
charles.monteiro

Quote:
Per item fx freeze is even easier than the previous track fx freeze, you just 'apply fx' and the (per take) fx is automatically bypassed (delete the active take to unfreeze)...unfortunately it doesn't work with vsti's usually (yet.)
ah, that's really bad , my basic freeze need.
Old 05-09-2008, 07:28 AM   #13
charles.monteiro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diogenes View Post
Hey guys,

I have a Q about this GearBox thing. I have a POD XT Live and the plugin junk that came with it. I think I read somewhere that in order to use the plugin the POD is used as a dongle. That true?

D
yep, before I got the gold bundle which comes packaged with the Toneport DI, I had the plugin on GuitarPort and that worked as a dongle, and indeed my Toneport DI works as a dongle. It just sits there , but its a nice dongle and works as a decent enough one channel audio interface including direct monitoring and very portable.
Old 05-09-2008, 07:44 AM   #14
Diogenes

Thanks Charles... that's what I was afraid of. I don't like the idea of extra junk plugged into my DAW box if I don't need it. My main interface is an EMU1820M and I'll use it until it (or I) is dead. I guess I could try connecting up the POD just to see if it makes anything else go wonky. If it doesn't, I'll try out the ol' Gearbox stuff.

D
Diogenes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 09:11 AM   #15
BoxOfSnoo

Quote:
yep, before I got the gold bundle which comes packaged with the Toneport DI, I had the plugin on GuitarPort and that worked as a dongle, and indeed my Toneport DI works as a dongle. It just sits there , but its a nice dongle and works as a decent enough one channel audio interface including direct monitoring and very portable.
So can you have your DI unplugged and use the GuitarPort as the only dongle (with more limited choices, probably)?
Old 05-09-2008, 10:07 AM   #16
charles.monteiro

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxOfSnoo View Post
So can you have your DI unplugged and use the GuitarPort as the only dongle (with more limited choices, probably)?
I'm guessing but not tried it, although before I upgraded to the Gold bundle I had purchased the plugin to use with the GuitarPort and there was a select amount of amp sims available. BTW, when you buy a bundle from them you get a specific Toneport DI Gold or Silver i.e. the dongle knows.