Old 04-01-2013, 06:08 PM   #1
Consul
Human being with feelings

Default Sibilance issue

I've been trying to re-record the vocals on my latest album. I had mothballed my basement studio because I was getting tired of it, and now I'm working on my laptop in my room, using a Zoom H4n as a USB interface and microphone.

After months of experimenting, I think I finally have an idea of how to breath and how to open my throat up, giving my vocals a much breathier sound. That combined with the Zoom's pretty flat response and discovering that a granulator makes a great vocal "thickener" that I like the sound of, and well, now I have a sibilance issue. (The motivation behind the granulator was trying to find an alternative to doubling, since my voice is just a little too loose for that.)

I tried cutting at around 6kHz, with various widths and depths, but the only effect seemed to be dulling my voice while leaving the sibilance intact. I have no money for plugins, so I was hoping someone else might have any ideas. Recording with a different mic is not really an option at this point.

Here's a link to a track with new vocals: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/7330808/02%...%20to%20Go.mp3

Thanks for the help!

"... And whether you can hear it or not, the Universe is laughing behind your back."
Consul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 06:11 PM   #2
Cosmic

This ones so simple you'll wonder in amazement at its simplicity.

Try sing just to the side of the mic.So that the high powered esses are'nt blasting it full frontal force

Edit...Just listening to the track..you can definitely sort this with mic placement.

Another thing to consider is the room might be a bit lively..and that could be aggravating the sibalence issue.Try deaden it a little bit.

And I don't mean hang blankets every where..just..y'know..break up the surfaces a bit

Last edited by Cosmic; 04-01-2013 at 08:03 PM.
Cosmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 06:13 PM   #3
Consul

I was back from the mic about 18-20 inches or so already, but I suppose I can give that a try. Thanks.

"... And whether you can hear it or not, the Universe is laughing behind your back."
Old 04-01-2013, 06:18 PM   #4
Cosmic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Consul View Post
I was back from the mic about 18-20 inches or so already, but I suppose I can give that a try. Thanks.

Thats way too far.you wanan be about 12 max and sing off axis.

I noticed you we'rent getting much low end in your recording either.Thats cos of that
Old 04-01-2013, 07:05 PM   #5
Garrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic View Post
Thats way too far.you wanan be about 12 max and sing off axis.

I noticed you we'rent getting much low end in your recording either.Thats cos of that
Cool tip cheers gaz
Garrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 08:20 PM   #6
WynD

Just got done listening to your song....

I don't have any other advice on your main question for this thread but I just wanted to comment that I do like your song so far. It has a nice kind of slight atmospheric air to it.... if that makes sense. It does to me anyway :-)
Is it just in the beginning stages? Will there be bass or drums etc.. etc...
It needs something to help fill out the song. The keys by themselves seem a little thin and would benefit by other instruments filling in the lower registers.
And Cosmic is right too. You will want to be closer to the mic for singing for that will definitely help your voice sound fuller.

Also... your singing is improving. If I remember correctly I think I remember some of your posts in the past where you were troubled by your singing ability.
You are making progress. You are singing in tune and you do honestly have a nice sounding voice. Keep up the good work and keep working on it and it will get even better.
Old 04-02-2013, 03:13 PM   #7
Consul

Thanks for the comments.

I actually just posted to another message board looking for a singer. I'm getting tired of this project, and really want to start the next, but I feel like I need to do better on this one first.

I think the next album's either going to be instrumental, or I'll make it a point to write the songs in my range, or I'll be sure to have a singer already lined up.

My only worry is about how to handle the business side. What's a typical deal to make with a singer?