Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Music/Collaboration Discussion

Old 03-25-2013, 12:08 PM   #1
Overdrive
Human being with feelings

Default Request an Audience - Digging (Original Acoustic Song)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2YGAI0rw78

I've been working on this for a while, and I think it turned out great! Let me know what you think.
Overdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 12:10 PM   #2
dea-man

Nice, clean. Sounds great.

Good job. Well done.

The video is a little bit, just the same thing over and over.

The song seemed a little long for my taste. Like I wanted a point to be made, and while several points were made, there didn't seem to be that major hook to grab onto.

Just my opinion, nothing more.

Sound wise and production wise it sounds great.
Old 03-25-2013, 12:19 PM   #3
Overdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by dea-man View Post
Nice, clean. Sounds great.

Good job. Well done.

The video is a little bit, just the same thing over and over.

The song seemed a little long for my taste. Like I wanted a point to be made, and while several points were made, there didn't seem to be that major hook to grab onto.

Just my opinion, nothing more.

Sound wise and production wise it sounds great.
Thanks dea-man, I appreciate the feedback. You're right that the video is just the same thing over and over, I gotta spice it up somehow but I'm not quite sure what to do without having to make some kind of story.

Also I like that you mentioned wanting a major point to be made. If you could change the song, what might you have done?
Old 03-25-2013, 12:27 PM   #4
dea-man

Overdrive -

Don't get me wrong. I like that the piece wasn't "completely on the cookie-cutter" side of things. It wasn't all typical. I liked that.

I kept waiting for the hook to happen and I just didn't feel it. Probably just me. Maybe I wasn't paying enough attention.

I'll have to listen a couple more times and get back to you.
Old 03-25-2013, 12:48 PM   #5
Overdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by dea-man View Post
Overdrive -

Don't get me wrong. I like that the piece wasn't "completely on the cookie-cutter" side of things. It wasn't all typical. I liked that.

I kept waiting for the hook to happen and I just didn't feel it. Probably just me. Maybe I wasn't paying enough attention.

I'll have to listen a couple more times and get back to you.
Thanks, and I try not to get offended about my music (there's always room for improvement!). I really love when someone tells me something that at first seems disappointing but could actually help to improve my next song.

If there was a hook, it would likely be the line at the end "because I love the way the night, shines on wonder and mystery" which expresses the theme of looking at the positives in bad situations. But I don't want to have to tell you the hook! I'll work on it for the next song :P
Old 04-02-2013, 06:59 PM   #6
NKB

I first listened to this s few days ago from my phone and wanted to get back to it and give it a listen on proper speakers. Well now I have. It took a minute for it to grow on me but I ended up liking it about a third of the way in. Very nice mix (listened to some of your covers as well and your mixing is very good in general). Song-wise I kind of agree with dea-man but I don't think it is lacking a hook but could use a little more vocal variation and/or a wider range in the melody. Other than that I enjoyed this (and your others) a lot. Keep at it.
NKB is offline   Reply With Quote