Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Bug Reports

Old 08-11-2018, 02:04 PM   #1
AVboy
Human being with feelings

Default Dynamic Split does not behave as expected

Hello all,

I've done a good trawl using the search tool, and can't seem to find a report of the issue I'm experiencing. Seems odd as its a function I'd think a lot of people would want to use. I am of course referring to the Dynamic Split tool.

Specifically, I'm using the "When gate opens" and "When gate closes" checkboxes, in conjunction with "Remove silent areas".

When I use the slider labelled "Min slice length" the preview behaves in a strange fashion, as shown in the GIF below:

I'm not sure what the logic is, but I'd expect all audio that is louder than -48dB (as specified by the gate threshold) would be ignored by Dynamic Split (i.e. it would not be stripped out), but as you can see this does not happen, and a good portion of the vocal here is going to be removed if I hit the "Split" button.

In fact, I'm not sure what is happening here at all. It appears to either be a bug in the calculation, or there's some conflict with the order in which the checkboxes are applied maybe?

Can anyone take the time to corroborate this, and maybe tell me where I'm going wrong with Dynamic split? Has this been reported/acknowledged before? Will we ever see a fix for this?

N.B. BEFORE anyone jumps in with "Why would you want to do that?" please just don't. I DO want to do it, and the tool that's meant to allow this just doesn't work.

N.B.B Yes I have discovered the action "Item: Auto trim/split items (remove silence)". This is all well and good but there is no way to preview what you're about to remove using this, which means need to keep repeating yourself when you get it wrong.
AVboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 03:00 PM   #2
Justin
Administrator

Thanks for posting this -- can you send a .wav file that exhibits this behavior to support at cockos dot com?
Justin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 03:22 PM   #3
AVboy

Sent. I've also described an additional odd behaviour I've noticed with grouped items and dynamic split.
Old 08-13-2018, 06:33 AM   #4
schwa
Administrator

We're looking at this, but can you confirm it acts more predictably when "constrain slice length" is set to "best to worst" ?
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 08:48 AM   #5
AVboy

Apologies for the delay, only just seen this.

Here's an example with Constrain Best to Worst turned on:

It appears to be "better", but its still incorrect.
Old 08-15-2018, 09:35 AM   #6
bFooz

I have also noticed this. To me it seems that when the gate should open inside the already open interval specified by "Min slice length", it does not.
bFooz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 06:42 AM   #7
AVboy

Hello,

Just wondered if there has been any traction with this? I've been keeping an eye on incremental updates but noticed nothing.
Old 02-15-2019, 03:04 PM   #8
przemak

IMO Dynamic Split just does not work, sorry. This is very important function for me in editing VO. Now it creates too many slices and behaviour is strange. Min Silence Length does not work, threshold change creates different silences and cancels others... I've attached two screenshots, only gate threshold is different. There is very short silence detected while minimum length is longer, and those short silences are different with two threshold - one or other dissappears...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg thres11.jpg (63.3 KB, 128 views)
File Type: jpg thres22.jpg (63.4 KB, 138 views)
przemak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 03:30 AM   #9
bFooz

I hope this will get fixed.
bFooz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 10:17 PM   #10
vdubreeze

I'm reassured to see some others having difficulty getting results from dynamic split. I'm with przemak. It just has always seemed to function in a half-broken manner. I periodically give it a shot and still find it not always giving expected results when adjusting settings, even on simple, unchallenging audio.
Old 03-04-2019, 08:11 AM   #11
mawi

I sometimes also have problems with removing silence at the beginning of items. I haven't been able to figure it out yet. This happens very sporadically. The controllers reduce splits, min slice/silence lenght don't work for me either (see GIF in post #1).
https://www.dropbox.com/s/kw5qid69yr...split.png?dl=0
mawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 12:40 PM   #12
beingmf

IIRC it is supposed to work with shorter pieces of audio, whatever that means. But I keep forgetting this and the results are unusable indeed.
So here's a +1 for fixing it (can't be *that* hard, can it? ProTools v1 had it in the nineties, just sayin' )
Old 09-21-2019, 09:12 AM   #13
AVboy

Hello,

Its been over a year now since this was reported. Is there any likelihood of a fix for this?
Old 09-30-2019, 01:21 PM   #14
juliansader

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVboy View Post
Hello,

Its been over a year now since this was reported. Is there any likelihood of a fix for this?
Thanks for reminding the devs about this -- please check out the most recent dev version in the pre-release thread.
juliansader is offline   Reply With Quote